Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2016 9:54:10 PM EDT
If I purchase a firearm to be a rental or demo product so you log it and keep it in your book until sold or do you go ahead and dispose of it to yourself like a personal sale?  Do you write off demos as business expenses as well?
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:10:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Open entry in A&D,  Cheap stuff gets expensed in first year.  Wilson's and above amortz over 3 years.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:40:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If I purchase a firearm to be a rental or demo product so you log it and keep it in your book until sold or do you go ahead and dispose of it to yourself like a personal sale?  Do you write off demos as business expenses as well?
View Quote

I sell demos.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 3:02:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Open entry in A&D,  Cheap stuff gets expensed in first year.  Wilson's and above amortz over 3 years.
View Quote

By open entry you mean acquisition it and keep it on the books?

What if the ATF shows up for an inspection and the demo gun is not on premises?
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 3:19:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where would it be? You can't loan them out and there are no special rules for demo guns.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 4:02:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Where would it be? You can't loan them out and there are no special rules for demo guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

An employee could have it at an expo, like SHOT.  Or it could be at a LE demo, again under a bona-fide employee's control.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 6:10:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

An employee could have it at an expo, like SHOT.  Or it could be at a LE demo, again under a bona-fide employee's control.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was just confused by his wording. While I have never experienced it myself I can't imagine that it is a big deal as all manufacturers and sales groups have demo guns out and about all the time.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 7:36:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I've seen post it notes or pencil used to indicate firearms out for demo or stored temporarily off site with paper A&D books.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 9:05:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I was just confused by his wording. While I have never experienced it myself I can't imagine that it is a big deal as all manufacturers and sales groups have demo guns out and about all the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

2nd hand experience with this.  ATF wants it back to their inspection w/in X hours for verification.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 10:07:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
2nd hand experience with this.  ATF wants it back to their inspection w/in X hours for verification.
View Quote

And if it's in another state? This happens all the time.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 11:26:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Long time ago... Had Demo guns out of the shop. Some at LE Departments, some at other venues. We anointed the A&D record with Demo-See 4473 for any firearms out for more than a couple days. Then stapled an explanation of specific purpose to each 4473. LE demo guns left with a dept had a LE letter  attached.
Firearms out with employee for demo had Company letterhead with explanation. We also a few times just logged the firearm out to the employee if range/Demo, sales/sample, was used on a regular basis.
If different employees need access then the only reasonable course of action is Company Letterhead with explanation and employees names.
Technically not sure it matters all that much.. The FFL is still in the care custody and control of the firearm, it was not transferred and the FFL showed due care in keeping track of the firearm. We went the extra step just to make sure some pain in the ass compliance person would have a hard time explaining to a ADA or Judge how lax our record keeping was.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 12:26:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't come up in the one inspection I dealt with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top