Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2016 8:32:53 AM EDT
Looking to get my FFL and SOT for a home based FFL. My house is zoned residential and was wondering if I needed to get a variance or something. Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 3:51:30 PM EDT
[#1]
If in the city, check with it, or if the county, do the same.

Do you have a business plan and startup capital?
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 7:48:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If in the city, check with it, or if the county, do the same.

Do you have a business plan and startup capital?
View Quote

Was looking into just doing transfers on the cheap. I want to ease into the business and build up capital to be able to buy things with a giggle switch. After looking into going the LLC route and getting FFL and pay the SOT tax, almost $1k before a penny is made. Since I want to get a safe to keep the business stuff separate, another $1k would be spent. I know that a safe is not needed, but wanted to keep things separate and the wife more at ease with having merchandise in the house.

I also wanted to do the Powered by Silencer Shop deal since all the local to me powered by SOT's always charge $50 to $75 more than the "from" price. I thought maybe just keep it at the "from" price and see where it takes me. I haven't got in touch with SS yet and will do so tomorrow to see what is needed to become a Powered By dealer other than have the FFL and SOT.

I am not looking to become rich overnight and just want make extra money to buy more toys. As I am getting older, I am seeing that my toys are getting more expensive and my wife is not having it

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 2:36:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Looking to get my FFL and SOT for a home based FFL. My house is zoned residential and was wondering if I needed to get a variance or something. Any help would be appreciated.
View Quote

Also living in duval, you'll need to get a variance from zoning. I believe it was in the $900 range when I looked a while back. (Used to be like $450). Your neighbors will be notified and have the option to object. I was told objections don't have a lot of weight to them though.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 2:49:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Also are you wanting to do an 01 or 07? If 01, you're going to need demo letters for post samples. I contacted nearly every LE Dept in FL about this and out of the 5 or so that I got a response from, none were willing to give a letter. Although you can technically get one from anywhere in the country. If you are going 07, add another $2250 a year. As for doing NFA transfers just remember that a lot of the reason some local shops charge 75-100 to transfer is that the items take up space, and for a long time. The shop I know of that is linked with SS doesn't charge anything extra other than the $75. You'll have to do 7 NFA transfers to pay for the SOT.

Personally I'd look for cheap office space somewhere. You could get a commercial zoned office in the complex I used to be in for like $150 a month. This would save you the zoning variance fee, keep your home address from be listed as a "gun dealer" (possible target as people will assume where there's a dealer there's guns, you are in Jax after all), plus keep people (that you usually don't know before hand) from coming to your house.

If you decide to get into ordering or selling guns, you're going to be limited on distributors. There's a few that just require a FFL but other (and some larger ones) require a store front. Ellet Brothers is one of the bigger ones that comes to mind needing a store front. You likely won't be able to get the latest and greatest guns without dropping some serious coin. Not even the "latest" really. Glock 9mm guns this year have been tough to get for smaller dealers as they stay on allocation as of late.

It can defiantly be a nice supplement income but it's not all it's cracked out to be. Plus from experience, shooters regularly sells guns cheaper or close to the price you'll be able to buy them at dealer pricing. Depending on what side of town you are on I may be able to help push some transfers to you though in about 3 months.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 6:25:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Well that is a kick in the taco. I figured there was a reason why I only found a few home based FFL's. I do appreciate the info though. Looks like I'm going need to find an office space. I am definitely not going anywhere near manufacturing... just transfers...but dang it...the more I look into it the more of a handful it seems.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 7:18:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Well that is a kick in the taco. I figured there was a reason why I only found a few home based FFL's. I do appreciate the info though. Looks like I'm going need to find an office space. I am definitely not going anywhere near manufacturing... just transfers...but dang it...the more I look into it the more of a handful it seems.
View Quote
The Powered by SS is a good deal if you keep your prices competitive. We are drawing customers from all over the state by using it, and it's free advertising (can't beat free). Who knows what will happen to the program once 41F becomes effective.

It doesn't take a lot of NFA sales to pay for the SOT, and the customers are great to work with.

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 7:29:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The Powered by SS is a good deal if you keep your prices competitive. We are drawing customers from all over the state by using it, and it's free advertising (can't beat free). Who knows what will to the program once 41F becomes effective.

It doesn't take a lot of NFA sales to pay for the SOT, and the customers are great to work with.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Powered by SS is a good deal if you keep your prices competitive. We are drawing customers from all over the state by using it, and it's free advertising (can't beat free). Who knows what will to the program once 41F becomes effective.

Didn't expect the zoning variance...puts me back a bit. Just need to save for a little longer. Maybe the wild hair up my arse falls out by the time I come up with more capital
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 11:46:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you have a HOA that'll likely be another hurdle. A lot of HOA have rules against businesses out of the house.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 12:10:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Really think about it before diving in. Not trying to discourage you, former FFL holder here. It's a big responsibility, keep in mind a lot of gun dealers make more money from bags, ammo, uniforms, targets etc.. Firearm sales and transfers are only a small part of their profit.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 1:47:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Definitely not just diving in. More thought has to go into it. I do know that all I want to do is transfers and steer clear of selling. Right now I'm looking for a office space to lease on the cheap and take it from there.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Really think about it before diving in. Not trying to discourage you, former FFL holder here. It's a big responsibility, keep in mind a lot of gun dealers make more money from bags, ammo, uniforms, targets etc.. Firearm sales and transfers are only a small part of their profit.
View Quote

X2.. The margins are in parts and accessories.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 2:28:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Don't most cities in their zoning laws allow you to run "internet based businesses" from home?
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 4:39:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Don't most cities in their zoning laws allow you to run "internet based businesses" from home?
View Quote

ATF checks to ensure you can do sales/transfers/gunsmithing at your licensed premises.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top