User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 7:50:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP, good luck with your dream. Whatever you do, do NOT put chairs or stools in the showroom.
View Quote

or a coffee pot in the customer area.  The place I worked at had that and you'd have blow hards hanging around all day with free coffee.  Not spending any money, just finger banging and yakking.
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 7:57:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, every gun shop within a 25 mile area of my home has closed within 5 years except for 1 which is owned by an ex-cop and makes most of his money as a local gun and reloading supply distributor for all the other gun shops.  Total it has been 9 that I can remember in the past 20 years.  Gander Mountain tends to get a lot of gun sales, God only knows why with their prices, and Dick's has now started carrying handguns which surprised the hell out of me when I went looking for a baseball bat for my nephew.
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 8:38:26 PM EDT
[#3]
The old saw is "I can tell you how to make a million dollars in the gun biz"

(Start with two million!)

Your competition will be huge conglomerates like Cabellas , bass pro and on line outfits like Bud's gunshop . They all have more money than you

Your other competition is the old guy down the street that just needs something to keep him busy and help him spend his police or army pension.
His inventory is all ready paid off.

The gun business is a hobby business , when the economy sucks folks don't spend much buying themselves toys

It can be done by a smart business guy who comes to the table with a pile of cash and works his but off but then again that same guy could likely make more with a dunkin donuts or a sub shop.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 7:36:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

"But they sell thousands of guns a day.." .................and its a retail operation?
Call me skeptical.

Bud's and Kentucky GunCo do that volume, but its from their internet side, not retail storefront sales.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The margins are low. The profit comes with volume . The store i go to opens at 9am. if you get there after 9:30 the lines are so long you won't be checked out until sometime after 1:30. No point in going there after noon because they will close before you get to the head of the line. But they sell thousands of guns a day, usually more than one at a time to each customer.

Where is this shop and what is the name?

"But they sell thousands of guns a day.." .................and its a retail operation?
Call me skeptical.

Bud's and Kentucky GunCo do that volume, but its from their internet side, not retail storefront sales.

Actually, I'm skeptical that either Bud's or KGC sells "THOUSANDS" of guns every day. I'd be surprised if any distributors do that volume consistently.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 8:25:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well, every gun shop within a 25 mile area of my home has closed within 5 years except for 1 which is owned by an ex-cop and makes most of his money as a local gun and reloading supply distributor for all the other gun shops.  Total it has been 9 that I can remember in the past 20 years.  Gander Mountain tends to get a lot of gun sales, God only knows why with their prices, and Dick's has now started carrying handguns which surprised the hell out of me when I went looking for a baseball bat for my nephew.
View Quote

I considered a shop some time ago but in the end the "Gander" quandary is what made me walk away from the idea.  In my area there are a handful of shops with a decent selection and significantly lower (20-30% in some cases) prices within 10miles of our local Gander.  Despite that, every time I stop by Gander there are several people actively purchasing guns.  I just couldnt wrap my head around it, if people dont give a shit about price nor service, there is no way you will survive.  Said gun shops all have decent service and friendly employees.

People will go out of their way to save one penny a gallon on gas, but still over pay $100 for a Glock.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 9:05:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Around here, nearly all "gun stores" merely sell guns as a side business to what actually makes them money, which is ammo & range fees. . . . .
View Quote

What sort of mark-up do you imagine gun shops make on ammo? How often do you think they turn their inventory? I look at the walls of ammo at a well-stocked gun store and just shake my head. I can't imagine what kind of investment it takes to keep a good selection in stock. Just stocking the common stuff would be bad enough but my local shop has all kinds of weird odd-ball ammo. It's got to take a staggering amount of money to do that.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 9:12:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I considered a shop some time ago but in the end the "Gander" quandary is what made me walk away from the idea.  In my area there are a handful of shops with a decent selection and significantly lower (20-30% in some cases) prices within 10miles of our local Gander.  Despite that, every time I stop by Gander there are several people actively purchasing guns.  I just couldnt wrap my head around it, if people dont give a shit about price nor service, there is no way you will survive.  Said gun shops all have decent service and friendly employees.
View Quote

In my area Dick's/Gander are all in fairly large malls or new shopping centers, while the non-chain store B&M FFL's are in the lower-rent areas.  Those guys in Gander are buying b/c their spouses are next door at Target or Linens n Things getting stuff for the house & kids, they've got "permission" to buy a gun, and they're getting it before she changes her mind...
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 4:46:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Their was a local fellow I knew who already had a store front, he sold motorcycle/off road parts. He opened a small gunshop off of the same store.

He said the biggest thing that shut him down was the insurance. If I recall correctly he was open approximately from 2008-2013. He said the only reason he didn't close sooner was because of Sandy Hook.

Judging by that, I would guess that it is very hard to keep a shop up and running, unless you have a LOT of upfront money to put into it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Their was a local fellow I knew who already had a store front, he sold motorcycle/off road parts. He opened a small gunshop off of the same store.

He said the biggest thing that shut him down was the insurance. If I recall correctly he was open approximately from 2008-2013. He said the only reason he didn't close sooner was because of Sandy Hook.

Judging by that, I would guess that it is very hard to keep a shop up and running, unless you have a LOT of upfront money to put into it.

There was a local guy here who did the same sort of thing
Snowmobiles, 4 wheelers, and a small gun shop off in one corner of the building
They eventually got broken into and a bunch of guns stolen.
That prompted them to close the gun shop up
There was a real shortage of even tabletop guys around here in the late 80s early 90s after the only full time gun store closed up and some of the other general merchandise retailers like KMart, Woolworths etc closed up or scaled back their gun sales

Quoted:
1. Profit margins on new guns are low. The money is made in selling accessories or used guns

2. From April to September the gun market is flat. Unless their is panic buying.

My slow time is January
The holidays are over, people blew their wad on gifts so no money for guns or ammo
It's winter, so most of them aren't out shooting
Used guns, meh
I never got into the consignment stuff at all, but this year I've been handling some stuff for guys who are fleeing NY
People wanting to sell guns want top dollar for their used guns, and the guys looking to buy want to pay bottom dollar
I sort of feel sorry for the full time pawn guys trying to make a buck off guns
Quoted:

What sort of mark-up do you imagine gun shops make on ammo? How often do you think they turn their inventory? I look at the walls of ammo at a well-stocked gun store and just shake my head. I can't imagine what kind of investment it takes to keep a good selection in stock. Just stocking the common stuff would be bad enough but my local shop has all kinds of weird odd-ball ammo. It's got to take a staggering amount of money to do that.

Not that I'm the norm, but in my years as an FFL, the only good year I had for the  ammo on the shelf was the panic a couple of years ago
Guys were coming in and cleaning the shelf off of a particular caliber because the brick and mortar places were stripped bare by then
Then I eventually couldn't get what I needed to re-stock for the longest time. Did my best to, though
Even with the SAFE act cutting off mail order ammo, I suspect many shooters are having ammo mailed elsewhere out of state and picked up or are buying in bulk out of state and bringing it back
Or they've simply moved. I don't see a lot of the old regulars anymore. Some I know have moved. Some have moved on to other hobbies because Cuomo is doing his best to kill the gun culture in this state....
Quoted:
BTW, a fella who decided to open a gun shop right now would have a tough time finding desirable firearms to sell. He could get all the Beretta 92 and Browning Hi-Power pistols he wanted but he'd have to search long and hard to find a Glock 19 (much less model 43) or a 9mm S&W Shield to buy. Ruger LCP and Kel-tec P3AT? Forget about it. Everything is sold out.

And what they DO have, their listed quantities are in the single digits
I love the guys who call up for a price check, tell me they want to "think about it" and are mad a month later when the item they price checked weeks ago is out of stock.
With inventories being what they are now, there should be no involved thinking about it
If I can find you what you need and its only showing a handful of units in stock, jump on it because odds are it wont be there tomorrow, let alone a week or a month from now.

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 2:39:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I love the guys who call up for a price check, tell me they want to "think about it" and are mad a month later when the item they price checked weeks ago is out of stock.
View Quote

Or it's $50 higher... and still out of stock.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 2:05:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
$25 FFL and $50 NFa transfers
No inventory.
View Quote

$50 NFA transfers. Do you want to hold somebody's merchandise for 4-6 months, deal with the paperwork headaches, and accept responsibility for suppressors and machine guns worth thousands for only $50? I sure wouldn't.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 2:50:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There was a real shortage of even tabletop guys around here in the late 80s early 90s after the only full time gun store closed up and some of the other general merchandise retailers like KMart, Woolworths etc closed up or scaled back their gun sales

My slow time is January
The holidays are over, people blew their wad on gifts so no money for guns or ammo
Used guns, meh
I never got into the consignment stuff at all, but this year I've been handling some stuff for guys who are fleeing NY
People wanting to sell guns want top dollar for their used guns, and the guys looking to buy want to pay bottom dollar

Not that I'm the norm, but in my years as an FFL, the only good year I had for the  ammo on the shelf was the panic a couple of years ago
Guys were coming in and cleaning the shelf off of a particular caliber because the brick and mortar places were stripped bare by then
Then I eventually couldn't get what I needed to re-stock for the longest time. Did my best to, though
Even with the SAFE act cutting off mail order ammo, I suspect many shooters are having ammo mailed elsewhere out of state and picked up or are buying in bulk out of state and bringing it back
Or they've simply moved. I don't see a lot of the old regulars anymore. Some I know have moved. Some have moved on to other hobbies because Cuomo is doing his best to kill the gun culture in this state....

With inventories being what they are now, there should be no involved thinking about it
If I can find you what you need and its only showing a handful of units in stock, jump on it because odds are it wont be there tomorrow, let alone a week or a month from now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
1. Profit margins on new guns are low. The money is made in selling accessories or used guns

2. From April to September the gun market is flat. Unless their is panic buying.

My slow time is January
Used guns, meh
Quoted:

Quoted:
BTW, a fella who decided to open a gun shop right now would have a tough time finding desirable firearms to sell. He could get all the Beretta 92 and Browning Hi-Power pistols he wanted but he'd have to search long and hard to find a Glock 19 (much less model 43) or a 9mm S&W Shield to buy. Ruger LCP and Kel-tec P3AT? Forget about it. Everything is sold out.

ALL excellent points
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 3:57:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

$50 NFA transfers. Do you want to hold somebody's merchandise for 4-6 months,
I charge $50 for NFA transfers BECAUSE I hold it for six months. It isn't a big deal.

deal with the paperwork headaches,
What headache?
If you know what you are doing it takes less than a minute to fill out a Form 4.

and accept responsibility for suppressors and machine guns worth thousands for only $50?
The suppressor transfers I did in January alone covered my inventory insurance for ALL my firearms for the rest of the year.......easily.
There is absolutely no difference in insuring $100,000 worth of Title I guns vs $100,000 worth of NFA toys.

I sure wouldn't.
Your loss, my gain.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No inventory.

I charge $50 for NFA transfers BECAUSE I hold it for six months. It isn't a big deal.

What headache?
If you know what you are doing it takes less than a minute to fill out a Form 4.

and accept responsibility for suppressors and machine guns worth thousands for only $50?
The suppressor transfers I did in January alone covered my inventory insurance for ALL my firearms for the rest of the year.......easily.
There is absolutely no difference in insuring $100,000 worth of Title I guns vs $100,000 worth of NFA toys.

I sure wouldn't.
Your loss, my gain.

Link Posted: 5/8/2016 12:35:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No inventory.

What headache?

I sure wouldn't.
Your loss, my gain.

Good feedback. My SOT, an arfcommer, does my NFA transfers for much less than that
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top