Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2016 6:40:38 PM EDT
Just out of curiosity can a 01's address be amended to another state?  My wife and I are entertaining the idea of doing a home based FFL small business.  I'm Active duty .mil and I'm trying to figure out how the whole PCS every couple of years things will affect us (state licencing aside).

Also has the ATF been finicky about licensing people/business who are predominately only doing transfers?  I vaguely recalled something from about 10 years ago about them going after kitchen table FFLs but I could be mistaken.  It's been a long time since I had a 01 and was home based, and then later on had a storefront.  We are purposefully wanting to stay small since my wife will be taking the lead on this venture and I will be a secondary.

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 9:21:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just out of curiosity can a 01's address be amended to another state?
Yes, although they may issue you another FFL#. (the number shows what region your business is in)
They can also do a premises inspection at your new address.

My wife and I are entertaining the idea of doing a home based FFL small business.  I'm Active duty .mil and I'm trying to figure out how the whole PCS every couple of years things will affect us (state licencing aside).

Also has the ATF been finicky about licensing people/business who are predominately only doing transfers?
<-----Transfers are 90% of my 2,000+ transactions each year. In the eyes of ATF there is absolutely no difference.

I vaguely recalled something from about 10 years ago about them going after kitchen table FFLs but I could be mistaken.
During the Clinton era, ATF began enforcing it's own regulations, among them the requirement that a licensee be operating legally according to all state and local laws. Many kitchen table dealers chose to give up their FFL rather than get a business license, sales tax permit, comply with zoning or HOA requirements. (basically many lied on their FFL application by using the FFL for enhancing their personal collection rather than actually engaging in the business.)

As long as you can legally operate a business from your home ATF doesn't give a shit.

It's been a long time since I had a 01 and was home based, and then later on had a storefront.  We are purposefully wanting to stay small since my wife will be taking the lead on this venture and I will be a secondary.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 10:46:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Well that certainly is good news.  The ATF documents are pretty vague on amendments of addresses in another state which is why I asked.

With rented property do you have to put the name of the owner or can your out the property management company down?  That's the only other potential issue I can foresee since I will more than likely be renting homes rather than buying at any future duty stations.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:34:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd be curious to know how much down time they allow in operations for the physical move of assets and equipment from one state to another.....eventually when I leave NYS I'd like to take the FFL  to wherever I wind up at, but that physical change of locale could take a while in order to find and get set up in the new state.....
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 12:54:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'd be curious to know how much down time they allow in operations for the physical move of assets and equipment from one state to another.....eventually when I leave NYS I'd like to take the FFL  to wherever I wind up at, but that physical change of locale could take a while in order to find and get set up in the new state.....
View Quote

I don't think they really care about how much down time you have between locations....they've got their money and you cannot conduct business at anywhere other than the address listed on the license.

I've been thinking about it some too because I've got 1-2 years before I PCS again.  The biggest hitch is my lease is up in a little over a year, and I don't really want to fork out $150 for the business license and home occupation permit twice.  Of course that's all immaterial because I first need to figure out if I'm doing this as a LLC or a partnership (myself and my wife).  I'm leaning towards partnership since not all states recognize LLC's and that would piss me off to have to close out that license because I registered as an LLC and I can't get a business permit with a LLC in the next place I'm stationed.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top