Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2016 9:42:27 AM EDT
This happens to me every time I sell an 1873 or 1884 Springfield Trapdoor rifle on GB. I always require an FFL for these because they use modern centerfire ammo, but it never fails, interested buyers  email me telling me that these rifles are considered antiques and FFLs are not required. Some of them are down right rude about it. The  ATF definition of an antique does tend to confuse the mind when you read it over and over. I do not like emailing the ATF, but it might be worth it for this. Then I could attach their reply letter to potential buyers who bust my balls about this.. Any opinions, thoughts, am I even right or wrong?

Here is the most recent email that was sent to me:

I believe you may be incorrect on the FFL requirement. If this rifle was manufactured before 1898 (as all original Trapdoors were) then the BATF rules state that it is an antique and an FFL transfer is not required, unless you live in certain states. There is the possibility of confusion in CFR 478.11 and if not read carefully you will be led to believe that certain firearms require an FFL transfer when actually they are exempt. It states that any firearm manufactured in or before 1898 is exempt. It goes on to clarify that replicas that are designed to fire modern ammo do require an FFL. That is where some folks get confused. Here's the reg in question: Antique firearm. (a) Any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; and (b) any replica of any firearm described in paragraph (a) of this definition if such replica (1) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or (2) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 10:42:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not an FFL but the text states

Antique firearm. (a) Any firearm (including any firearm
with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of
ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; and (b) any replica of
any
firearm
described in paragraph (a) of this definition if such replica (1) is
not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire
fixed ammunition, or (2) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed
ammunition
which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not
readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/do-antique-firearms-come-within-purview-gca

No,
assuming the antique firearm is not a replica designed or redesigned
for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition. The
antique firearm also cannot be a black powder muzzle loading weapon that
incorporates a firearm frame or receiver, have been converted into a
muzzle loading weapon, or uses fixed ammunition (or readily converted to
do so).

[18 U.S.C. 921(a)(3) and (16); 27 CFR 478.11 and 478.141(d)]

Link Posted: 1/2/2016 11:15:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Not a lawyer or FFL, but reading it the cartridge clause appears to be related to a replica firearm and not the original antique.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 2:37:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This happens to me every time I sell an 1873 or 1884 Springfield Trapdoor rifle on GB. I always require an FFL for these because they use modern centerfire ammo, but it never fails, interested buyers  email me telling me that these rifles are considered antiques and FFLs are not required. Some of them are down right rude about it. The  ATF definition of an antique does tend to confuse the mind when you read it over and over. I do not like emailing the ATF, but it might be worth it for this. Then I could attach their reply letter to potential buyers who bust my balls about this.. Any opinions, thoughts, am I even right or wrong?

Here is the most recent email that was sent to me:

I believe you may be incorrect on the FFL requirement. If this rifle was manufactured before 1898 (as all original Trapdoors were) then the BATF rules state that it is an antique and an FFL transfer is not required, unless you live in certain states. There is the possibility of confusion in CFR 478.11 and if not read carefully you will be led to believe that certain firearms require an FFL transfer when actually they are exempt. It states that any firearm manufactured in or before 1898 is exempt. It goes on to clarify that replicas that are designed to fire modern ammo do require an FFL. That is where some folks get confused. Here's the reg in question: Antique firearm. (a) Any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; and (b) any replica of any firearm described in paragraph (a) of this definition if such replica (1) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or (2) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.
View Quote

You're wrong.  Any firearm manufactured before 1 January 1899, is an antique, and not subject to the 1968 GCA.  Some antique firearms ARE subject to the 1934 NFA, however.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 3:28:20 PM EDT
[#4]
delete
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 6:26:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
....The  ATF definition of an antique does tend to confuse the mind when you read it over and over....
View Quote

No offense...........but whut?

Antique firearm. (a) Any firearm (including any firearm  with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; and (b) any replica of any firearm  described in paragraph (a) of this definition if such replica (1) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or (2) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.
View Quote

It's pretty damn clear no matter how many times you read it.
1. if its manufactured before 1898 its an antique......PERIOD. Don't read any further.
2. If it's a replica as described in (b) it must meet the criteria of (1) and (2).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top