Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2015 8:36:55 PM EDT
Insurance seems pretty steep for the basics, $1200-2000.  How many of you home based FFLs carry insurance?
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 8:46:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I carry a policy covering inventory...
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 12:01:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I have general liability as well as policies covering my inventory and firearms I am holding for transfer.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 11:32:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Voted no, as I just had my interview and am awaiting my FFL papers. I plan on looking into a few policies though in the next few weeks. If anyone would like to share who they use, that would be helpful (probably for the op as well).

Does personal firearms insurance plans cover current inventory for small volume ffl's? If say you had a $50k policy and had $25k in personal firearms/ammo, would they cover up to the $50k for your ffl inventory on stock?
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 2:22:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does personal firearms insurance plans cover current inventory for small volume ffl's? If say you had a $50k policy and had $25k in personal firearms/ammo, would they cover up to the $50k for your ffl inventory on stock?
View Quote

You would need to check your policy to see if it covers all possessions for a sole proprietor.
If your FFL is issued to a corporation, partnership or LLC I would bet your insurance agent would die laughing when you tried to make a claim on your personal policy.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 10:59:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Insurance seems pretty steep for the basics, $1200-2000.  How many of you home based FFLs carry insurance?
View Quote

I contacted a couple/few insurance agents. My current agent told me he can't help with a Home based FFL. I spoke with another who was on board with a home based business using a "Rider?" until I told him it was for firearms and for that reason he was out.

I was told to contact the  company affiliated with the NRA. Here is the link I found:NRA Business Alliance Insurance

I recall my quote came in around $725-850/year depending on the level of coverage I selected.  Maybe worth looking into. I was mostly interested in Liability for slip & falls type stuff as I don't carry much inventory.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 10:35:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Just a FYI:

Most homeowners policies will exclude home based businesses and will certainly exclude a FFL.

Not an FFL but an agent specializing in commercial/business insurance.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 5:37:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I contacted a couple/few insurance agents. My current agent told me he can't help with a Home based FFL. I spoke with another who was on board with a home based business using a "Rider?" until I told him it was for firearms and for that reason he was out.

I was told to contact the  company affiliated with the NRA. Here is the link I found:NRA Business Alliance Insurance

I recall my quote came in around $725-850/year depending on the level of coverage I selected.  Maybe worth looking into. I was mostly interested in Liability for slip & falls type stuff as I don't carry much inventory.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Insurance tank?

Link Posted: 1/13/2016 11:08:17 PM EDT
[#8]

No
My firearm inventory is usually in and out the same day or within a couple of days.
The ammo and accessories inventory, should something happen to it, I wouldn't bother filing a claim.

I can just see the regulars faces when I explain to them that I had to start charging triple my past fee to cover stuff like the costs of an insurance policy

And to listen to the wizards at GD, in their mind all a home based FFL is charging for is a few minutes of writing stuff down in a couple of books....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top