Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2015 5:59:48 PM EDT
I am considering getting my FFL and I have not been able to find any solid information on notifying my landlord and what permission I may need from them. This is for a house. I have checked with the city and their requirements and they are all good with it. I just would like to know how I will need to approach the landlord if necessary.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:27:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am considering getting my FFL and I have not been able to find any solid information on notifying my landlord and what permission I may need from them. This is for a house. I have checked with the city and their requirements and they are all good with it. I just would like to know how I will need to approach the landlord if necessary.

Thanks.
View Quote

My first licensed premises was a rented townhouse.
The ATF IOI went to the property manager, flipped out his ID and asked "is it okay if DogtownTom sells guns?". Intimidated she said "Oh, Lord no!".
IOI called me to tell me it was a no go..........then I told him he should have read my lease. My lease said a home based business was fine with two exceptions: auto repair and hairdressing.

I had my premises inspection two days later and FFL was in hand a few weeks after that.

Bottom line: your lease/rental contract will tell you what you can do. If it says no home business, then you are SOL.  If it doesn't address it then you should be good to go. I recommend that you be proactive with your landlord........."Hi Mr Trump, its jn3825....I'm thinking about starting a home based business selling sporting goods and part of that entails getting a Federal Firearms License. I just wanted to make you aware in case ATF contacts you as part of my background check".

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 8:46:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The ATF IOI went to the property manager, flipped out his ID and asked "is it okay if DogtownTom sells guns?". Intimidated she said "Oh, Lord no!".
IOI called me to tell me it was a no go..........then I told him he should have read my lease. My lease said a home based business was fine with two exceptions: auto repair and hairdressing.

I had my premises inspection two days later and FFL was in hand a few weeks after that.

Bottom line: your lease/rental contract will tell you what you can do. If it says no home business, then you are SOL.  If it doesn't address it then you should be good to go. I recommend that you be proactive with your landlord........."Hi Mr Trump, its jn3825....I'm thinking about starting a home based business selling sporting goods and part of that entails getting a Federal Firearms License. I just wanted to make you aware in case ATF contacts you as part of my background check".

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

pretty much what he said.

No need to tell the landlord you are selling Firearms - Sporting goods is a good way of putting it

good luck OP

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top