Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2015 12:01:47 AM EDT
I'm currently renting a house and it is listed as my business premises on my FFL.

I'm looking at buying a few acres and living there in an RV while building a house.  

I can't find anything in the ATF's regs that lay out the type of property that's required.  If the ATF came out for an inspection and found that I was living in a trailer, do you guys think that would cause any sort of issue?

As far as I can tell, there is no regulation against it as long as the property has a legitimate address and zoning is in compliance.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 11:44:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I would avoid anything with wheels

eta

do not so business from something with wheels. Living on wheels, no problem.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 9:08:29 PM EDT
[#2]
So you're saying I should take the wheels off?

Link Posted: 9/21/2015 9:23:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I was referring to rules on motorized or towed vehicles.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 12:23:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sarcasm, dude.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 3:31:22 PM EDT
[#5]
§478.100   Conduct of business away from licensed premises.

(a)(1) A licensee may conduct business temporarily at a gun show or event as defined in paragraph (b) if the gun show or event is located in the same State specified on the license: Provided, That such business shall not be conducted from any motorized or towed vehicle. The premises of the gun show or event at which the licensee conducts business shall be considered part of the licensed premises. Accordingly, no separate fee or license is required for the gun show or event locations. However, licensees shall comply with the provisions of §478.91 relating to posting of licenses (or a copy thereof) while conducting business at the gun show or event.
View Quote

This is the only ATF regulation regarding vehicles I could find.......but it seems to only restrict when away from your licensed premises.
It doesn't prohibit using an RV/house trailer as the dealers licensed premises.

Link Posted: 9/22/2015 4:55:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
This is the only ATF regulation regarding vehicles I could find.......but it seems to only restrict when away from your licensed premises.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

§478.100   Conduct of business away from licensed premises.

(a)(1) A licensee may conduct business temporarily at a gun show or event as defined in paragraph (b) if the gun show or event is located in the same State specified on the license: Provided, That such business shall not be conducted from any motorized or towed vehicle. The premises of the gun show or event at which the licensee conducts business shall be considered part of the licensed premises. Accordingly, no separate fee or license is required for the gun show or event locations. However, licensees shall comply with the provisions of §478.91 relating to posting of licenses (or a copy thereof) while conducting business at the gun show or event.

Yeah, I looked at all the regs and didn't see anything.  I would call and ask but the 2 times I've done that, I end up transferred to 4 or 5 operators until I get an answering machine and no one calls me back.  Every.  Fucking.  Time.

Link Posted: 9/22/2015 8:06:19 PM EDT
[#7]
They probably wont take you seriously

And as others have mentioned, anything that can be hooked up and towed away easily is a very bad idea.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 11:05:17 AM EDT
[#8]
If you have a valid business premises address, I don't see how they could deny it or not accept it. It would be obvious that the house is being built.

We just had a Field and Stream store in the local area get approved for its FFL and there was only a slab of concrete on the ground.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 11:41:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Depends on how you present your plan.  If presented as an "RV on your property" then probably not approved.  If presented as a "mobile office building" or temporary office pending construction (like a construction site would have) then it would probably be approved.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 12:54:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you have a valid business premises address, I don't see how they could deny it or not accept it. It would be obvious that the house is being built.

We just had a Field and Stream store in the local area get approved for its FFL and there was only a slab of concrete on the ground.
View Quote

During my premises inspection, I pointed to a field of grass were my shop was going to be. Had my FFL 4 weeks later and construction began.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top