Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2015 11:02:52 PM EDT
I just transferred my license to CO from ND and don't have a picture ID yet. They mail them here. Can I use the temp card along with my voided license to buy a handgun? The temp card documents my old license.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:25:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, unless CO has a minimum time for residency.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:06:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:25:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He has a valid point. There was a thread here within the past week where a guy got rejected by the dealer because he wasn't a resident long enough. IIRC the dealers that joined in said 90 days in FL.  I don't know how many other states require that.

In my case it would be hard to deny with a new temp license. Once the photo ID comes its another story.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:52:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

He has a valid point. There was a thread here within the past week where a guy got rejected by the dealer because he wasn't a resident long enough. IIRC the dealers that joined in said 90 days in FL.  I don't know how many other states require that.

In my case it would be hard to deny with a new temp license. Once the photo ID comes its another story.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, he doesnt have a valid point.
Whether an ID is valid has nothing to do with residency.
For the purpose of buying a firearm from a licensed dealer, ATF considers you a resident of the state where you make your home. There is no such thing in ATF regs as "establishing residency".
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:12:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

For the purpose of buying a firearm from a licensed dealer, ATF considers you a resident of the state where you make your home. There is no such thing in ATF regs as "establishing residency".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have first hand knowledge so I only know what I saw in the thread. They weren't ATF regs rather state requirements.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:12:36 AM EDT
[#6]
In WV the temporary license is not considered a valid ID for purchasing liquor or cigarettes, entering a club, or buying a firearm.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 12:58:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got a link to that thread? I'd love to jump in and read it.

As far as Florida goes, I know the individual that forced the FDLE to remove such ridiculous incorrect information for their webpage.

It took several e-mails over a couple of months, with them looking more and more foolish each time, until they were finally convinced they were completely wrong.

It was never the law, but bureaucrats being bureaucrats that cannot read and understand laws (they go by what someone told them). What they had misconstrued was an very old unconstitutional ruling that only applied to aliens (ATF Ruling 2004-1) wherein ATF said they have to reside in the state 90 days before they could lawfully possess a firearm. After a few years the Justice Department discovered  that this ruling was beyond the scope of their authority (and unconstitutional) and finally amended it in 2012:

The Department of Justice is amending the regulations of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) by removing the 90-day State residency requirement for aliens lawfully present in the United States to purchase or acquire a firearm. The Department has determined that the Gun Control Act does not permit ATF to impose a regulatory requirement that aliens lawfully present in the United States are subject to a 90-day State residency requirement when such a requirement is not applicable to U.S. citizens. In addition, upon the effective date of this interim final rule [July 9, 2012] the provisions of ATF Ruling 2004-1 will become obsolete.

ATF Publication 5300.4, revised September 2014
ATF Rul. 2004-1
This ruling is superseded by Interim Final Rule “Residency Requirements for Aliens Acquiring Firearms (2011R–23P)”, effective July 9, 2012
(77 FR 33630).
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 8:35:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.  

I wonder if this guy has any idea what a cluster fuck it would be trying to prove when residency started.    It would be impossible.  Us dealers have a hard enough time getting customers to keep their ID's up to date.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top