Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2015 12:35:38 AM EDT
First I work for a sporting goods store that sells firearms and we had a guy come in today and try to buy a 22LR rifle another person helped him I was asked to take over the sale after the guy filled out his 4473 I asked him for his DL I noticed that he was slurring really bad his eyes where red and glassy it was only 6pm and he went on about if I need to see is VA card because he was a Vet and that he was buying this gun for his boy because he got his golden arrow in the boy scouts on top of that the strong smell of alcoholic beverages come from his breath. Being that I worked as a police officer for 4 years on a reservation and had over 300+ DUI's I could tell this guy was smashed.
I printed out the 4473 had him sign it then took the paper work to my boss who told him that he could not buy the gun today but he could come in when he was sober to buy it.

Now here is the thing we had a guy check he was a felon a mistake and we can not sell a gun to him for 5 years it was him rushing the 4473 it is his fault.  But would you sell this gun to the gun the next day even if he did come in sober? To me that is a red flag what would you do? My boss does do much with 4473. I'm looking for advice or someone to tell me its fine they have drunks come in all the time to buy guns. Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 1:35:29 AM EDT
[#1]
If he is not a felon sell it, but only when sober.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 2:55:07 AM EDT
[#2]
You should sober up or learn english.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 1:55:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
......I printed out the 4473 had him sign it then took the paper work to my boss who told him that he could not buy the gun today but he could come in when he was sober to buy it.....
View Quote

Take his $$$$, tell him to come back later.

Now here is the thing we had a guy check he was a felon a mistake and we can not sell a gun to him for 5 years it was him rushing the 4473 it is his fault.  
View Quote

"we had a guy..." Same guy as above? or a different buyer?
Checking the wrong box does not invalidate the buyer or form. ATF says the buyer/transferee just makes the correction, dates and initials the correction. There is no "5 years" for making a mistake.

But would you sell this gun to the gun the next day even if he did come in sober? To me that is a red flag what would you do? My boss does do much with 4473. I'm looking for advice or someone to tell me its fine they have drunks come in all the time to buy guns. Thanks for the advice
View Quote

Red flag for what?

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 5:30:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
First I work for a sporting goods store that sells firearms and we had a guy come in today and try to buy a 22LR rifle another person helped him I was asked to take over the sale after the guy filled out his 4473 I asked him for his DL I noticed that he was slurring really bad his eyes where red and glassy it was only 6pm and he went on about if I need to see is VA card because he was a Vet and that he was buying this gun for his boy because he got his golden arrow in the boy scouts on top of that the strong smell of alcoholic beverages come from his breath. Being that I worked as a police officer for 4 years on a reservation and had over 300+ DUI's I could tell this guy was smashed.
I printed out the 4473 had him sign it then took the paper work to my boss who told him that he could not buy the gun today but he could come in when he was sober to buy it.

Now here is the thing we had a guy check he was a felon a mistake and we can not sell a gun to him for 5 years it was him rushing the 4473 it is his fault.  But would you sell this gun to the gun the next day even if he did come in sober? To me that is a red flag what would you do? My boss does do much with 4473. I'm looking for advice or someone to tell me its fine they have drunks come in all the time to buy guns. Thanks for the advice.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top