Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2015 11:03:56 AM EDT
I have a simple question just ordered 4 factory sbrs from  Areo, they come fully assembled and ready to sell on form 4's. They come with no stock furniture they have buffer tubes but no stock covers barrels installed but no forearm can we put the furniture of our choice legally as a 01/03 ffl and put them out to sell? I know a lot of Colt rifles are also being shipped this way with no furniture (not in sbr form but regular rifles) how are you other dealers handling this? This manufacturing thing is always worrying me
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 11:09:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I question whether they should be sold as SBR's by Aero if they didn't come with a stock on them already.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:29:10 AM EDT
[#2]
No stock and < 16" barrel = handgun.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:13:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Aero Precision now offering factory SBR's

All pics and info from this is from Aero precision and in response to the recent disapproval of all form 1's in Washington state. I hate it for you guys up there. It seems to be a reasonable option for a fair price I think. It comes in 2 configurations. Standard and Enhanced. They are priced $699 and $749 respectively. Specs below...

OEM SBR 7.5"

"The OEM SBR is the perfect foundation for your SBR build. Created with price in mind, this manufactured SBR features everything needed to be classified as an SBR without the additional cost.

Since this is a manufactured SBR, it can be purchased through a Form 4 instead of a Form 1. After Form 4 approval, customize this SBR to your liking by adding your own stock, handguard and more. The choice is yours!

Product Features
Standard AR15 Upper Receiver and Barrel Nut
7.5" 5.56 Pistol Length Barrel and Gas System
AR15 Gen 2 Lower Receiver
Standard AR15 Lower Parts Kit
Standard AR15 Buffer Kit 6 Position Buffer Tube"

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/oem-sbr-75-standard.html

A new thought overall length would not change by adding standard ar stock cover so form 3 oal would be correct

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:22:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Like the other 2 guys said, they should really ship it with a stock attached to make it a "for sure" SBR, but I'm not the ATF.

It shouldn't make any difference about the stock adding to overall length, nor would it matter if one swaps a longer/shorter barrel onto a SBR'd AR. Both are considered "temporary" changes. As a dealer, I'd copy the exact lengths on the F3 over to the F4.

If the customer goes with different length parts and wants to notify ATF, they can note the change(s) in a letter after the transfer to them is complete. They should eventually receive a response that the change(s) were documented in the registry. It's not a requirement.

I wouldn't lose any sleep about the lack of a stock being an absolute "no-go," but I would mention it to Aero, unfavorably. Years ago, manufacturers sold SBR's as basically as complete lowers (only) with stocks, and when ATF decided this was technically not meeting the SBR definition (no barrel), the practice ceased, but nothing horrible happened. They'll probably correct Aero if/when they notice.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 7:32:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A new thought overall length would not change by adding standard ar stock cover so form 3 oal would be correct.
View Quote

As pointed out in your other thread, yes, the overall length would change, as OAL is measured with the stock extended.  I'll be interested to see if there's any feedback on my thought, though: who's to say that the buffer tube isn't a buttstock?  Sure, it isn't a comfortable one, but there's nothing preventing you from putting it to your shoulder and firing the rifle.  If doing that turns a SIG brace into a buttstock (and therefore whatever firearm it's attached to into a rifle), why can't it turn a buffer tube into a buttstock?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top