Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2015 8:48:09 PM EDT
Here's  the question, I am a 01-03sot am interested in Gemtech intergrally suppressed barrels for the 10-22.  Just started as a 03 been a regular ffl with a storefront for 19 years. How can I market the Gemtech barrel ? If I put it on a gun would  I would need to be a 07 manufacture ? If I put it on a customers gun do I have to be a 07manufacture. Do my customers have to do a form 1 since they are changing the barrel? NEED SOME INSIGHT?????
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're buying the integral barrels, installing them to guns in your inventory, and selling the result, that requires a manufacturing license.

If you're selling the integral barrels to customers, and/or installing them to the customer's already-owned 10/22s, then that's just a bit of gunsmithing done under your 01 FFL.

Installing an integrally suppressed barrel to a 10/22 does nothing to the gun's status as a regular title 1 firearm, unless the integral barrel winds up taking the barrel length under 16", at which point it's making an SBR in addition to installing a suppressor.  In that case, you would once again have to have a manufacturing license - unless the customers all Form 1 their SBRs in addition to buying a Form 4 integral suppressed barrel from you, and have you install the suppressed short barrel to their already-owned and stamped Form 1 SBR 10/22s when both stamps have come back.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 10:48:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Here's  the question, I am a 01-03sot am interested in Gemtech intergrally suppressed barrels for the 10-22.  Just started as a 03 been a regular ffl with a storefront for 19 years. How can I market the Gemtech barrel ? If I put it on a gun would  I would need to be a 07 manufacture ? If I put it on a customers gun do I have to be a 07manufacture. Do my customers have to do a form 1 since they are changing the barrel? NEED SOME INSIGHT?????
View Quote

The Gemtech MIST-22 is 16+ inches.

You do not need a 07 to put it on your gun for demos, nor do you need one to put it on customer guns. No form 1 needed as it is 16+ inches.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 11:36:26 PM EDT
[#3]
That's my thoughts do my own as a display "not for sale" and offer the barrels-suppressor's for sale but my concerns are removing the stock barrels off customers guns or ones I have already done 4473 forms on and replacing them with the gemtech  barrels am I still good as a gunsmith ? not as a manufacturer?
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 12:47:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's my thoughts do my own as a display "not for sale" and offer the barrels-suppressor's for sale but my concerns are removing the stock barrels off customers guns or ones I have already done 4473 forms on and replacing them with the gemtech  barrels am I still good as a gunsmith ? not as a manufacturer?
View Quote

If the customer owns all of the parts first you are good to go.  So don't do any work until the 4473 is done on the Title I gun and the Form 4 approved + 4473 done on the suppressor.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:33:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quite honestly, if your customer can't change the barrel on a 10/22, themselves, I'd be worried about them. It's not like it's rocket surgery.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:17:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quite honestly, if your customer can't change the barrel on a 10/22, themselves, I'd be worried about them. It's not like it's rocket surgery.
View Quote

"Its not like its rocket surgery" nearly knocked me off my chair.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 3:02:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Install it on your own 10/22 and tag it "NOT FOR SALE"?

I dunno.

I used to work for a big sporting goods chain.

We would have a couple ARs with aftermarket rail systems, bipods, attachments and optics for the display case. We had pricing of the rifle, and then pricing for the rifle + accessories added. We were just an 01 FFL. Not sure if it was "legal". Don't think the manager didn't care all that much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top