Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2015 5:36:02 PM EDT
I currently have my 07 under an LLC and I want to add a trade name that will be my retail arm.

My plan is this:  current license name will be for my gunsmithing and custom builds, trade name will be for my online retail and gunshow sales.

If I file to add a trade name to my FFL, am I then required to only do business under the trade name or can I use both names?

I know I can ask ATF this question but when I've called before with questions, they end up transferring me all over the place with no straight answer.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:18:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Your trade name will be the only one that appears on your license. As far as how you market your business, it's all up to you...
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:17:59 PM EDT
[#2]
It's my understanding that you may use either, or both.

If you do NFA transfers, both names must appear on the form.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:47:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your trade name will be the only one that appears on your license. As far as how you market your business, it's all up to you...
View Quote

Not true.

I get FFL's every day that list both............and mine does as well.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:15:00 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Not true.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not true.

True, in the mailing address area...

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:11:16 AM EDT
[#5]
My local shop has the owner's company name on the FFL, a super-generic sounding name that he uses for many different businesses (guns hop, auto shop, a gas station for a while, etc.), but the shop name on the storefront, ads, and cards is different.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 9:39:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I talked to an ATF phone drone and she said that I have to apply for an amended FFL so I sent off the paperwork requesting to add the retail name and my license name minus "LLC" at the end since I read in a few places where ATF will ONLY recognize a firearm marked with the full license name or a trade name.

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 10:13:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I talked to an ATF phone drone and she said that I have to apply for an amended FFL so I sent off the paperwork requesting to add the retail name and my license name minus "LLC" at the end since I read in a few places where ATF will ONLY recognize a firearm marked with the full license name or a trade name.  
View Quote

If this is about how you mark firearms you make, I think you would be better served to get a marking variance.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 10:17:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If this is about how you mark firearms you make, I think you would be better served to get a marking variance.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dropping the LLC was for that reason.  The trade name was for selling guns under a totally different name than what's on the FFL.

I figure if I'm adding a trade name anyway, I'll go ahead and change that at the same time.  I'll have to request a variance anyway so I can have another shop engrave some stuff for me.

Rule #1 of writing ATF regulations seems to be: "Make it as complicated as possible so they're bound to screw it up and then we can fine them."

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top