Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2015 7:26:20 PM EDT
From what I've been reading I need an 07 FFL to manufacture but is this only necessary when it is going to be sold?

Can I build prototypes for "personal use" without having to go through the FFL route for the time being?

When I need a design prototyped and built by a machine shop do they need an FFL themselves or can they manufacture through the FFL I'm issued?

Sorry for the noobish questions - I've been focused on getting everything modeled and researching the patent process. I thought that was overwhelming but now that I have to deal with FFL's and I'm really in over my head.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 10:07:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
From what I've been reading I need an 07 FFL to manufacture but is this only necessary when it is going to be sold?

Can I build prototypes for "personal use" without having to go through the FFL route for the time being?

When I need a design prototyped and built by a machine shop do they need an FFL themselves or can they manufacture through the FFL I'm issued?

Sorry for the noobish questions - I've been focused on getting everything modeled and researching the patent process. I thought that was overwhelming but now that I have to deal with FFL's and I'm really in over my head.
View Quote

Most machine shops without an FFL won't touch a firearm or even firearm parts.  First, they don't want to deal with the regulations.  Second, there's a decent chance not all of their employees will pass a BGC.

If you're doing R&D either do your own machine work or have an FFL sign an NDA and pay his hourly rate to do it for you.

If you're designing a semi-auto, bear in mind at some point you'll want an ATF determination letter stating they have inspected it and found it's not readily convertible to be a machine gun.  They will want a sample to test.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 1:23:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Most machine shops without an FFL won't touch a firearm or even firearm parts.  First, they don't want to deal with the regulations.  Second, there's a decent chance not all of their employees will pass a BGC.

If you're doing R&D either do your own machine work or have an FFL sign an NDA and pay his hourly rate to do it for you.

If you're designing a semi-auto, bear in mind at some point you'll want an ATF determination letter stating they have inspected it and found it's not readily convertible to be a machine gun.  They will want a sample to test.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for the information. Especially the last portion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top