Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2015 10:59:32 AM EDT
If the title isn't simple and understandable enough...

Can a licensee personally take a firearm out of state, walk it into the transferring FFL's location and hand deliver it to that business without the use of a common carrier, without shipping UPS, USPS, FedEx, etc?

When I search this type of question, I get a lot of results pertaining to NON-LICENSEES hand-delivering the gun to the out-of-state FFL for transfer to the actual buyer. I haven't so far found whether a dealer himself can make that hand-delivery.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 11:12:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, it's allowed.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 11:42:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Here's where the confusion comes from...

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/licensees-conduct-of-business.html#out-of-state-gun-shows

Q: What may a licensed dealer do at an out-of-State gun show?

A licensed dealer may sell and deliver curio or relic firearms to another licensee at an out-of-State gun show. With respect to other firearms transactions, a licensed dealer may only display and take orders for firearms at an out-of-State gun show.
In filling any orders for firearms, the dealer must return the firearms to his or her licensed premises and deliver them from that location. Any firearm ordered by a non-licensee must be delivered or shipped from the licensee’s premises to a licensee in the purchaser’s State of residence, and the purchaser must obtain the firearm from the licensee located in the purchaser’s State. Except for sales of curio or relic firearms to other licensees, sales of firearms and simultaneous deliveries at the gun show, whether to other licensees or to non-licensees, violate the law because the dealer would be unlawfully engaging in business at an unlicensed location.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(1), (b)(3), 923(a) and (j)]
View Quote

This seems to forbid the visiting licensee from hand-delivering the gun to the premises of the local transferring, out-of-state dealer. Albeit, this is in reference to gun shows, but it appears that the personal delivery from the visiting FFL to the local FFL is unlawful.

And then there's this...

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922

18 U.S.C. 922(a)It shall be unlawful -

(5) for any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the transferor resides;
View Quote

This one though, might be saying that the dealers are exempt from the interstate delivery/transportation restriction? But the prior quoted FAQ specifically forbids it, right?

So which is it, and why?
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 2:46:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Well weather you ship it or deem yourself to be the carrier whats the difference?
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 5:16:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This seems to forbid the visiting licensee from hand-delivering the gun to the premises of the local transferring, out-of-state dealer. Albeit, this is in reference to gun shows, but it appears that the personal delivery from the visiting FFL to the local FFL is unlawful.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/licensees-conduct-of-business.html#out-of-state-gun-shows

Q: What may a licensed dealer do at an out-of-State gun show?

A licensed dealer may sell and deliver curio or relic firearms to another licensee at an out-of-State gun show. With respect to other firearms transactions, a licensed dealer may only display and take orders for firearms at an out-of-State gun show.
In filling any orders for firearms, the dealer must return the firearms to his or her licensed premises and deliver them from that location. Any firearm ordered by a non-licensee must be delivered or shipped from the licensee’s premises to a licensee in the purchaser’s State of residence, and the purchaser must obtain the firearm from the licensee located in the purchaser’s State. Except for sales of curio or relic firearms to other licensees, sales of firearms and simultaneous deliveries at the gun show, whether to other licensees or to non-licensees, violate the law because the dealer would be unlawfully engaging in business at an unlicensed location.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(1), (b)(3), 923(a) and (j)]

That's only for gunshows.  Totally legal otherwise for a dealer to deliver to another dealer.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This one though, might be saying that the dealers are exempt from the interstate delivery/transportation restriction? But the prior quoted FAQ specifically forbids it, right?

So which is it, and why?
View Quote

A FAQ is not the law.

I would suggest review of the applicable laws instead of reading too much into a FAQ answer which doesn't necessarily have application to the question at hand.

The FAQ appears to be in reference to sales from an FFL to non-licensees while out of state.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 6:12:48 PM EDT
[#6]
IANAFFL, and IANAL, but it seems to me that there should not be any problem with one FFL hand-delivering anything to another FFL.  It may not be the most profitable use of your time though.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 9:04:14 PM EDT
[#7]
It may be legal but for some dealers they will not accept it that way and they will not allow pickups by other dealers. I was out of town and found a killer deal and the only way the dealer would transfer it to me was by shipping it to me.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:44:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It may be legal but for some dealers they will not accept it that way and they will not allow pickups by other dealers. I was out of town and found a killer deal and the only way the dealer would transfer it to me was by shipping it to me.
View Quote

You will find more than a few dealers that do not understand the laws and/or like to make up their own regulations.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top