Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2015 12:07:43 PM EDT
I am on 01 FFL in IL and am thinking about applying for SOT. Since just about everything is illegal in IL, I am curious to know about the benefits.

If I am an SOT, can I be in possession of SBR's and suppressors? I am looking forward to IL passing a suppressor law this year and want to be ready if we do. I also would like to have a few and am not sure if just having an SOT will allow it.

Any advice you can provide is appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 1:46:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Getting your SOT is easy, simply get a FEIN number, fill out the app and send the NFA branch a check for $500. You will be able to then own and sell AOW's MG's(for sale outside the state or to other SOT's) and SBR's. You will not be able to possess suppressors though as the law states you must either be an ammunition manufacturer or firearms manufacturer. And even though SBR's are ok I have heard that the NFA denied a SOT transfer request. Not sure of the final outcome though.

It seems that even the price of post sample weapons has gone through the roof just like transferable and pre samples. I paid $1395 for a MP5 in 2003 and recently saw them selling for up to $7700 on Gun Broker! My $500 Uzi post sample is in the $3,000 range. Oh and if you figure the cost of feeding them the MP5 will run about $185-$215 a minute to shoot!

ETA: The license runs from July1 2015 to June 30th. So if you pay at the end of August you lose one month of your license, no pro rating.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:29:38 AM EDT
[#2]
The sbr thing was a no go in Illinois for an sot, I was denied and was unsuccessful at getting them to understand. Suppressors are a no go unless an 07/02 ffl/sot.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 2:16:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Guys. I kind of figured that was the deal, but wanted to ask. Kind of worthless to have an SOT in IL since you can't sell or own anything. Maybe things will change.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top