Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2015 11:48:25 PM EDT
Looking to streamline the background check process at my retail store. I have an extra computer I can dedicate to the process. Are there any drawbacks to using the E Check system?

jonblack
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:32:15 AM EDT
[#1]
We use it 6 days a week. Fast, beats hell out of phoning it in. 99% of the time we have a proceed response within 5 minutes at MOST, generally 1-2 minutes. I don't know if there are any behind he scenes issues to deal with, but it seems to work very well. ymmv
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:53:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll second that. Use it all the time. Generally have a response within 90 seconds of submitting the search query.

Only issue is if somebody fumble fingers the passwords too many times, gets into the password challenge questions that follow, screws that up and locks that computer out of the system for a period of time.

A second computer will rescue you from that, or on last resort - use the phone.

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:53:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been using it since before Sandy Hook. I've never waited more than a few minutes for a response.

It's nice not to have to announce people's Social Security numbers in a crowded store.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 1:34:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been using it since before Sandy Hook. I've never waited more than a few minutes for a response.

It's nice not to have to announce people's Social Security numbers in a crowded store.
View Quote

Why are people putting down their SSNs?
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 1:37:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Well worth it. Makes things a lot faster. We don't have to leave the sales floor to do a background check.

MAHA
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 4:17:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We use it 6 days a week. Fast, beats hell out of phoning it in. 99% of the time we have a proceed response within 5 minutes at MOST, generally 1-2 minutes. I don't know if there are any behind he scenes issues to deal with, but it seems to work very well. ymmv
View Quote

1-2 minutes? I have proceed in 1 second usually via phone.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 10:26:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably more than half my customers do. I don't steer them one way or another.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 10:28:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You get 1 second proceeds with the E-check, too. I think he's talking about the "further review" calls (or "researching", in the case of e-check).

Post Sandy Hook, we never had any long waits with e-check. I heard of some dealers waiting a half hour or more to run a phone check.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:22:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I heard of some dealers waiting a half hour or more to run a phone check.
View Quote

On Fridays 10 minutes is not uncommon and Saturdays we can be on a Further Review hold up to 30 minutes.

jonblack
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:25:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:28:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
On Fridays 10 minutes is not uncommon and Saturdays we can be on a Further Review hold up to 30 minutes.
View Quote

Other than the days NICS is understaffed for bad weather or Black Friday I am never on hold for more than 30 seconds waiting for further review.

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:46:20 AM EDT
[#12]
We spend a LOT of time on hold. Usually it is just on Fridays and Saturdays. We could be using that time doing other business dutie. On top of that it makes our customers nervous. I have even had them joke about the wait time being a stall so the police could come pick them up.

jonblack
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:31:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We spend a LOT of time on hold. Usually it is just on Fridays and Saturdays. We could be using that time doing other business dutie. On top of that it makes our customers nervous. I have even had them joke about the wait time being a stall so the police could come pick them up.

jonblack
View Quote

One of the nice things about the e-check system is that you're not tied up. You submit your NICS check and can then go on to do other things while waiting for the result.

BTW, there's no need to devote an extra computer to it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 11:59:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You get 1 second proceeds with the E-check, too. I think he's talking about the "further review" calls (or "researching", in the case of e-check).

Post Sandy Hook, we never had any long waits with e-check. I heard of some dealers waiting a half hour or more to run a phone check.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you Bladeswitcher. I was using longest time to answer in regards to OP's original question. Didn't expect the topic to become a "mine is bigger" pissing match, but pissers gonna piss.

Link Posted: 4/12/2015 9:41:25 PM EDT
[#15]
We would regularly spend 30 min or more on hold. E checks allows us never to leave the sales floor and have responses in less then 5 min. It is a win/win. I usually do the check while talking to customer about add on sales.

Bottom line: It is worth it.

MAHA
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:44:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

jonblack
View Quote

Some times that is exactly what it is.... ask how I know...... Started charging before the check so I don't lose out on my fee.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 11:05:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thank you Bladeswitcher. I was using longest time to answer in regards to OP's original question. Didn't expect the topic to become a "mine is bigger" pissing match, but pissers gonna piss.

View Quote

OP specifically asked "Are there any drawbacks to using the E Check system?"

Note you did not answer his question. You just glowed about how great E-NICS was, not naming a single drawback. It seems one of the drawbacks is E-NICS is slower to respond. Others are: you need a data connection and a compatible browser. Most folks can talk faster than type, so entering data takes longer too generally and you are at the mercy of the local ISP, which may vary if not at your premises. You can also only do 1 E-NICS per computer at a time, whereas via phone you can do as many as at the same time as you have phones for and most employees have their own phone. This is especially important at gun shows, where you could have 3/4/5/6/+ folks waiting to checkout.

Don't be so easily offended because folks answer the question the OP asked and you didn't.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:07:26 AM EDT
[#18]
The biggest drawback IMO is that you have to print all six pages of the form.  Toner isn't cheap.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:08:04 AM EDT
[#19]
You don't have to print anything for NICS E-Check. Your customers can still use the ATF-provided 4473 forms. You do have to print eForm 4473's though. (Apparently) I haven't used eForm 4473, but I love E-Check.

As far as doing multiples at the same time, you can just go back to the main menu and start another while still waiting for status to come back for the previous one. It's faster for me than calling, especially when doing multiple checks by myself. I don't have to wait for anyone to repeat my entries. I usually would obtain a customer's ID and start entering their name and stuff, so when they handed the signed form to me, I already had over half of it entered (double-checked of course).
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:05:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Note you did not answer his question. You just glowed about how great E-NICS was, not naming a single drawback. It seems one of the drawbacks is E-NICS is slower to respond. Others are: you need a data connection and a compatible browser. Most folks can talk faster than type, so entering data takes longer too generally and you are at the mercy of the local ISP, which may vary if not at your premises. You can also only do 1 E-NICS per computer at a time, whereas via phone you can do as many as at the same time as you have phones for and most employees have their own phone. This is especially important at gun shows, where you could have 3/4/5/6/+ folks waiting to checkout.

Don't be so easily offended because folks answer the question the OP asked and you didn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've not found E-check slower to respond. In fact, the opposite is true in my experience.
I can type plenty fast
I couldn't run my shop (pawnshop) without an internet connection so that's a given. I could see how it could be an issue at a gun show, though.
It's not true that you can only enter one check at a time. You can most certainly run multiple checks.

All I can say is that in the rare cases where I've had to call in a check, my reaction is always, "well hell." Just the other day, the e-check system wasn't functioning so I called one in. I waited almost 10 minutes on hold after the call center forwarded me for further review. I had to hang out on the phone and wait for the operator. Had I been using the e-check system I would have gone on to do other work/wait on other customers and checked back on the computer screen in a few minutes to see if there had been any other change.

I can honestly think of NO downsides to the e-check system. It's all positive as far as I'm concerned.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:10:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you operate out of a barn in a desert?

Enics is much faster than calling.
It's 2015, who doesn't have internet?  If all of the shop computers are tied up I've been known to run the check on my iPhone.
Learn to type, it's not that difficult and there are free internet programs.
I run multiple 4473's. Submit, start a new search. Once I'm done, I go back into the results and transfer the info to the 4473.
Gunshows?  Get a phone that you can hotspot.  Once again, it's 2015, laptops and tablets are c.h.e.a.p. if the facility doesn't offer wi-fi, hotspot your phone.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:54:06 AM EDT
[#22]
I use the Echeck at gun shows (and at the shop).  Just turn on the hot spot on my phone and turn on my ultra book.

Works great since I cant hardly hear the call center when I call at gun shows.  Too much background noise.

I also have a thermal printer for printing up the sale receipt.  I print off the proceed, delay, denied page on the thermal paper at the gun shows and staple it to the 4473.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:45:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Do you have to register to use NICS Echeck?
where do we go to do that?

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:33:16 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Do you have to register to use NICS Echeck?

where do we go to do that?

Thanks!!
View Quote
You just go to the homepage...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top