Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2015 6:48:19 PM EDT
I have an 01 FFL I received in December.  I'm listed as sole proprietor. If I wanted to sell a
gun I had in my collection years before getting the FFL would I have to enter that gun in my
records and then sell it only after a 4473/nics check?  I think I do have to.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 7:09:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have an 01 FFL I received in December.  I'm listed as sole proprietor. If I wanted to sell a
gun I had in my collection years before getting the FFL would I have to enter that gun in my
View Quote

As mentioned in reply to your thread in team, no.  You may and ATF would like you to, but you are not legally required to do so, at least not by federal law.

Ditto for any guns you transferred from your bound book to your personal collection at least one year prior to the date of sale/transfer.  

It's in the FAQs at the ATF website, which you should really already have read and more or less memorized, along with the FFL handbook and guide to published firearms laws for your state, which ATF has sent, or will send to you.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 7:24:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

As mentioned in reply to your thread in team, no.  You may and ATF would like you to, but you are not legally required to do so, at least not by federal law.

Ditto for any guns you transferred from your bound book to your personal collection at least one year prior to the date of sale/transfer.  

It's in the FAQs at the ATF website, which you should really already have read and more or less memorized, along with the FFL handbook and guide to published firearms laws for your state, which ATF has sent, or will send to you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have read a lot of it I didn't see that particular issue in the material I went over.  I appreciate your input.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 7:36:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

<-----01FFL/SOT Sole Proprietor

Every disposition from my personal collection goes on a 4473/NICS. I don't want some yahoo out there telling folks that "I bought a gun from Tom and didn't have to fill out a 4473 or nuttin'!!!!"
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Make your life easy and enter all guns you own prior to your license into your book. Then when you go to sell, sell it on 4473 like any other gun.

Keeping some guns off books, some on, selling some on 4473, others with no paper, etc., while legal in some circumstances, is asking for trouble.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:22:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Make your life easy and enter all guns you own prior to your license into your book. Then when you go to sell, sell it on 4473 like any other gun.

Keeping some guns off books, some on, selling some on 4473, others with no paper, etc., while legal in some circumstances, is asking for trouble.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree, sell it through a 4473. It's so much easier and smarter. I will not be logging my personal guns in my book until I am ready to sell the firearm. I have a place of business for my ffl that is not my home. I don't want to have to account for my personal collection during a compliance inspection. If I did business from my home, I would defiantly log all my guns in my book.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:42:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:If I did business from my home, I would defiantly log all my guns in my book.
View Quote

Yes that is what I was referring to.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 2:05:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What happens when you turn your license in?
Now those guns are on your books.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:42:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent point.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:23:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sign them out to yourself before you turn your books in.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:30:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This all makes sense.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top