Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2015 10:40:29 PM EDT
experienced guys your input is helpful

Getting my FFL type 7 I will be assembling ARs and AKs from parts kits eventually be manufacturing my own lowers AK receivers  

Called ITAR they said I need to pay because I ll be using different parts from different manufacturers to assemble

ATF says no ITAR is needed if I am just assembling parts'

Looking to get SOT 2 to sell to LE I am in Illinois
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:19:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure what question was, but your business model requires ITAR registration.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:10:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not sure what question was, but your business model requires ITAR registration.
View Quote

This.  ATF has nothing to do with enforcing ITAR so they are the wrong agency to ask about it.  Direct your questions to DoS PMDDTC.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:30:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Same experience here also. ATF said it may not be needed for what I was originally planning but the ITAR people said otherwise!!
I could not afford that at all!!!!! Wowser!!!!
I'm going to go with just the SOT but no manufacturing. I want to get into suppressors and some Class 3 for LE. I have a local LE close by that has come into some federal money and wants to spend every penny of it with me!!!!!!  Can you say KACHING!!!
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:28:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't ask; don't tell?

But seriously, what are the stats on # of people/small businesses who were personally told (AND didn't ask) by a federal employee that they must start paying immediately or suffer potential penalties? How many were fined for violations?

Isn't the minimum fine something like $500,000? Certainly it would be more widely known if they've penalized home-based guys...

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 7:55:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
experienced guys your input is helpful

Getting my FFL type 7 I will be assembling ARs and AKs from parts kits eventually be manufacturing my own lowers AK receivers  

Called ITAR they said I need to pay because I ll be using different parts from different manufacturers to assemble

ATF says no ITAR is needed if I am just assembling parts'

Looking to get SOT 2 to sell to LE I am in Illinois
View Quote

Seriously its not worth getting into this business unless you have a lot of money to invest and actually make sales.
YES you have to pay ITAR.

PLEASE do not get into this business as a hobby to build your own guns and please pay ITAR. People that do this and don't know what they are doing are the people who end up hurting all the other businesses.

Assembling ARs/AKs/MGs is not much money, especially now when people can buy lowers for cheap. I would be surprised if you could cover ITAR, store front, business fees, just through assembling stuff.
As a class 3 you need to buy a minimum of thousands of dollars of cans and rifles to sell and inventory.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 6:12:32 AM EDT
[#6]
No I have been wanting to this for a long time and debating back and fort

some say do not but all those guys like BCM, barret, and Ranier Arms they all started from the garage

why can not i do this, I have been in and out of gun shops and manufacturing facilities and its a shame how
much these folks do not know about guns

yes they have money and buying power I do not but I do not want that to scare me
Money is not everything  
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 10:33:05 AM EDT
[#7]
If you can't afford ITAR then you're really going to hate buying insurance... and as a manufacturer, you're going to really want insurance.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 2:50:03 AM EDT
[#8]
who do you have your insurance with
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 1:11:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Money isn't everything but its a HUGE part of starting any business. Its also bad to start a business based on the idea of not paying some of the fees that you are supposed to pay.
If you can't afford ITAR then you probably can't afford to have much inventory an probably won't turn much profit, then you will put money into your business and it will be shut down for either avoiding ITAR, Tax, or appearing to the ATF as a "hobby" business to own NFA stuff.

Not trying to be a jerk, but this isn't one of those things you just fill out a form and get to have fun.
You have no Idea when the gov is going to start really cracking down on this stuff. it could be never, it could be next month.
Good luck
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 9:58:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
who do you have your insurance with
View Quote

Chiarello
You can try Lockton but last I knew they don't do manufacturers, just dealers and importers.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 4:38:21 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

You have no Idea when the gov is going to start really cracking down on this stuff. it could be never, it could be next month.

View Quote

Isn't that true of everything? Especially in the gun world.

Do what you want/can. Don't live in fear, nor be self-repressed by fearing the unknown.

I've seen a few businesses that "should have been shut down" for multiple reasons and were not, including conscious NFA violations. I'm not saying that's "okay", just real-world experience. If you're generally doing the right things, you'll probably fare vastly ahead of many others who "do it wrong" on purpose and continually get away with it.

It is true that you've got to have money to make money. Everything is relative in business.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 8:54:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Do what you want/can. Don't live in fear, nor be self-repressed by fearing the unknown.

View Quote

Starting a business thinking that you should NOT pay part of the government fees associated with that business, and ignore the letters that you WILL receive to pay that fee, is just what it is. It has nothing to do with living in fear.

Im not trying to be rude, just explaining that YES you are supposed to pay, and if you don't its a huge fine and maybe jail time (if you get caught and they decide to do something about it). I get letters saying that I have to pay. When you start your business you will also receive these letters, if you want to throw them out, thats up to you, but its a gamble.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 8:56:05 PM EDT
[#13]

I've seen a few businesses that "should have been shut down" for multiple reasons and were not, including conscious NFA violations. I'm not saying that's "okay", just real-world experience. If you're generally doing the right things, you'll probably fare vastly ahead of many others who "do it wrong" on purpose and continually get away with it.

View Quote

I've seen plenty of people get away with stuff too, and I've seen people shut down and fined and receive jail time. Just because some people get away with doing something wrong doesn't mean you should start a business with that attitude. haha "well he did it" doesn't hold up in court.

Again, its a gamble, but the way things have been going over the past 10 years, I think ITAR will have to be paid by you at some point. Why would the gov NOT crack down on a fee that they get for nothing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top