Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2015 12:11:01 PM EDT
I have been trying to fill out the application but I am unsure of a few things.
1. name of "OWNER" or corporation..
The LLC will be an LLC not a corp.. and I'm listed as "member" on the LLC not "OWNER"
Which leads me to the second question..
If I put the LLC in question  #1 what do I put in #2?  Same thing?
And is it okay for me to be only listed as "MEMBER" on my LLC instead of OWNER? When applying for an FFL is it required to be "OWNER"?
I asked while applying at the state level and was told it's the same thing but I see no "member" on the ffl application..
Do I have to have the LLC amended to say "OWNER" instead?
Little confused here.  
It was tough enough to get the lady at the NC SOS to even look at me, and when she tossed the app back at me I understood I was not the correct type of person to be asking her for assistance that day.  

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:20:04 PM EDT
[#1]
An LLC is a corporation - "Limited Liability Corporation".  LLC name goes in #1.

#2 is used ONLY if the LLC does business under another name than its official corporation name - e.g.  "Tom's Sprinkler Systems" D.B.A "Tom's Guns".  Might be more common in the case of sole proprietorships, though e.g. "Bob Smith" D.B.A. "Bob's Outdoor and Shooting Supplies"'

No amendments are necessary, member is fine.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:36:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
An LLC is a corporation - "Limited Liability Corporation".  LLC name goes in #1.

#2 is used ONLY if the LLC does business under another name than its official corporation name - e.g.  "Tom's Sprinkler Systems" D.B.A "Tom's Guns".  Might be more common in the case of sole proprietorships, though e.g. "Bob Smith" D.B.A. "Bob's Outdoor and Shooting Supplies"'

View Quote

Thanks!!  
So would it be the Fed tax EIN on the second part of question# 1? or SSN? or maybe both.. I'd assume giving a tax ein may take longer to do background check?

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:23:27 PM EDT
[#3]
If an LLC, use your EIN.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:38:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Where you sign the app and it asks for your title, do NOT write "owner", your app will get kicked back.  You need to put either "member" or "manager".  Yes, it's counter intuitive, but it's the way the ATF wants it (or at least the way they wanted it in November).
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:40:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Where you sign the app and it asks for your title, do NOT write "owner", your app will get kicked back.  You need to put either "member" or "manager".  Yes, it's counter intuitive, but it's the way the ATF wants it (or at least the way they wanted it in November).
View Quote

It's only counterintuitive if you don't understand how LLCs work.  LLCs don't have owners or shareholders.  They have members, and some have managers.  If (and only if) your LLC articles and/or operating agreement specifies that it is to be operated by one or more managers, then you have managers.  If not, the LLC is operated by its member(s).  It's pretty rare for a small LLC to have managers.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:39:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Negative Ghostrider.  LLC stands for Limited Liability COMPANY, and it is not a corporation in many instances.  From a federal perspective, there is no such entity as an "LLC", but what makes up the membership determines its classification as one of 3 types: corporation, partnership or disregarded entity.  LLCs are exclusively a state entity, so be sure to check your state laws about membership requirements/restrictions, etc.

From the IRS website:

Limited Liability Company (LLC)
A Limited Liability Company (LLC) is a business structure allowed by state statute. Each state may use different regulations, and you should check with your state if you are interested in starting a Limited Liability Company.
Owners of an LLC are called members. Most states do not restrict ownership, and so members may include individuals, corporations, other LLCs and foreign entities. There is no maximum number of members. Most states also permit “single-member” LLCs, those having only one owner.
A few types of businesses generally cannot be LLCs, such as banks and insurance companies. Check your state’s requirements and the federal tax regulations for further information. There are special rules for foreign LLCs.
Classifications
Depending on elections made by the LLC and the number of members, the IRS will treat an LLC as either a corporation, partnership, or as part of the LLC’s owner’s tax return (a “disregarded entity”). Specifically, a domestic LLC with at least two members is classified as a partnership for federal income tax purposes unless it files Form 8832 and affirmatively elects to be treated as a corporation. And an LLC with only one member is treated as an entity disregarded as separate from its owner for income tax purposes (but as a separate entity for purposes of employment tax and certain excise taxes), unless it files Form 8832 and affirmatively elects to be treated as a corporation.
Effective Date of Election
An LLC that does not want to accept its default federal tax classification, or that wishes to change its classification, uses Form 8832, Entity Classification Election, to elect how it will be classified for federal tax purposes. Generally, an election specifying an LLC’s classification cannot take effect more than 75 days prior to the date the election is filed, nor can it take effect later than 12 months after the date the election is filed. An LLC may be eligible for late election relief in certain circumstances. See Form 8832 General Instructions for more information.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:44:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Okay got it. So does the LLC go in 1??
Or my name then LLC in 2??
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 3:37:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Okay got it. So does the LLC go in 1??
Or my name then LLC in 2??
View Quote

*sigh*  LLC in 1.  Nothing in 2 unless the LLC uses a different name for the gun business than its official name.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 6:28:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you very much?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:16:57 PM EDT
[#10]
So two more things..
what's best option for finger print cards.. digital prints added to cards or    standard ink.
And for my LLC should i check the box question #8     corporation     or   other  and specify llc? I've read people saying both ways.
If these questions upset or aggravate anyone please forgive me in advance.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:09:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So two more things..
what's best option for finger print cards.. digital prints added to cards or    standard ink.
And for my LLC should i check the box question #8     corporation     or   other  and specify llc? I've read people saying both ways.
If these questions upset or aggravate anyone please forgive me in advance.
View Quote

Standard ink. "Other" - LLC
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top