Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2015 6:29:05 AM EDT
Ok first off I done a few searches and found a bunch of home based ffl in my city and county so I know zoning wont be a issue.  Here are my issues i am a sailor and work on the great lakes my work schedule takes me away from home I work 6/3 (this will change to 4/2) what i mean by this is i am gone for 6 weeks and home for 3 with a small layoff from feb to april. What i was thinking was for hours is apointment only is there a problem with this ? Also as far as doing tranfsers keeping my log book and guns in the house and when people come over do the transaction in my detached garage (wife dosent want stangers walking though the house)

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 7:51:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Why are you getting an FFL?
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 10:24:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Ok first off I done a few searches and found a bunch of home based ffl in my city and county so I know zoning wont be a issue.  Here are my issues i am a sailor and work on the great lakes my work schedule takes me away from home I work 6/3 (this will change to 4/2) what i mean by this is i am gone for 6 weeks and home for 3 with a small layoff from feb to april. What i was thinking was for hours is apointment only is there a problem with this ? Also as far as doing tranfsers keeping my log book and guns in the house and when people come over do the transaction in my detached garage (wife dosent want stangers walking though the house)
View Quote

How many of your customers will be delighted at the prospect of a six week wait to pick up their gun?
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:06:21 AM EDT
[#3]
In your current situation id wait on your FFL. No point to having it if you aren't home a majority of the time. Heck people complain about Amazon Prime 2 day shipping. What do you think 6 weeks will do.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 12:27:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd never say "I know zoning won't be an issue." Do you know how long those other people have had FFLs? Did they get variances? Were they grandfathered in? Maybe they're just doing gunsmithing and the county allows that but not sales or transfers. Call up zoning and ASK, otherwise you are just wasting your time!
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 12:45:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
for some extra income friends are always buying guns cheap tranfers better prices

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok first off I done a few searches and found a bunch of home based ffl in my city and county so I know zoning wont be a issue. Here are my issues i am a sailor and work on the great lakes my work schedule takes me away from home I work 6/3 (this will change to 4/2) what i mean by this is i am gone for 6 weeks and home for 3 with a small layoff from feb to april. What i was thinking was for hours is apointment only is there a problem with this ? Also as far as doing tranfsers keeping my log book and guns in the house and when people come over do the transaction in my detached garage (wife dosent want stangers walking though the house)

How many of your customers will be delighted at the prospect of a six week wait to pick up their gun?

probably not many hence the appointment only plus i will be home for tax refund season. but when i am home can work

Quoted:

I'd never say "I know zoning won't be an issue." Do you know how long those other people have had FFLs? Did they get variances? Were they grandfathered in? Maybe they're just doing gunsmithing and the county allows that but not sales or transfers. Call up zoning and ASK, otherwise you are just wasting your time!

i will check on this

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 1:06:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Will probably result in a lot of one-time customers

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
probably not many hence the appointment only plus i will be home for tax refund season. but when i am home can work

View Quote

Appt only does not change the fact folks may have to wait 6 weeks to get gun. Tax season only comes once a year. Telling folks you are out to sea and they cannot get gun for 6 weeks is going to piss folks off, and give criminals smiles, knowing they can come steal 6 weeks of guns and you will not be there to do anything about it.

You are not really thinking this through.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 1:25:44 PM EDT
[#8]
and ...... yer ..........wife............ cant
be a responsible party or  her name on the lic also...?
she can do the 4473's while yer gone
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 1:27:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
for some extra income friends are always buying guns cheap tranfers better prices  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of folks have unrealistic expectation about "dealer prices." Most brick and mortar stores are lucky to make 20 percent on a gun. More typical is probably 10-15 percent markup. Often  you can buy a gun almost as cheap from Bud's or one of the other online sellers as you can at dealer cost -- especially if  you're a dealer that only buys a few guns at a time. Sometimes the great Palmetto Arms, etc. buys that cause the hoopla on Arfcom are BELOW dealer cost.

If you're not going to do a bunch of transfers for other people, I'm not convinced it's worth it. Basically, you'll be gaining the convenience of not paying a local dealer for transfers but accepting ATF oversight, paperwork and bookkeeping in exchange. Hardly a good trade, IMO. Trust me, your local dealer is easier to get along with than the ATF. . . .  YMMV, of course.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 7:15:26 PM EDT
[#10]
OP,
I don't think you've put very much thought into this.
-Is your wife going to be around to receive and log firearms as they arrive?
-Will she transfer firearms and process background checks?
-If she's not there.........what are your plans when the ATF National Tracing Center calls with a trace request?
-Or when ATF comes by for a compliance inspection.
-What kind of discount do you think dealers get?
-Is this really a business? Or more of a convenience for you and your friends?
-Do you have a business plan not written on a napkin?
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:05:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I will just wait till a better time to start this. Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top