Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2014 9:43:48 AM EDT
I posted this on another forum to get more responses. Some of you may recognize it from there.

I just got my O7 in hand a few days ago. I had heard that there were ways around ITAR (exceptions). I looked around the web all night and cannot find anything that is going to get me off the hook for the $2250 or whatever it is. There is no way just starting off I can do this in my little shop at home. I may just drop the 07 to an 01 and be done. Now I also read if a customer orders a specific rifle in a specific configuration they do not consider it "manufacturing" instead its "gun smith work" I originally wanted to get a run of my own AR15 receivers done and run an "a la carte" "build a gun" type of shop. I was also planning to Market The AR15 in this state to hunters with varmint models in 223 and deer/bear rifles in 6.8. But the profit margin cannot work with ITAR and a small shop. Not here, not now, not happening. I am totally confused and need to do more research on what they consider "manufacturing". I will be writing letters to everyone I can about this added government intrusion and THEFT. Not that it will make a bit of difference. It sucks because I already have a lot of time and money invested in this and now it is mostly wasted. The Feds would make more money by lifting ITAR for us and collecting the FET and income tax than trying to scrape the $2250. They dont understand that business makes money for everyone not just the owners. It would cost the consumer about 45 dollars a rifle if I paid the ITAR if I stayed below the 50 rifles a year. If I produced 50 It would run the consumer even more. Making it impossible for me to be competitive in the market place. I believe we killed British for less than what they do to us right now. Pretty * discouraging. I was looking forward to growing this business but it does not look good. Now I have one more question. If I do not produce any firearms by manufacture am I still on the hook for ITAR being a 07 FFL?
If anyone has any input for a newbee I am all ears.

Rant over,

AL
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 9:57:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Al, I feel your pain!!!!
I tried going that route with bullet/boolit manufacturing and discovered that the ITAR was not for me!! In fact, when I talked to the ATF they actually chuckled when I told them what I was planning on doing. They said the extra for the 07 was only $30.00 but the ITAR for the FEDs was really high!!! Well, needless to say I scrapped my ideas of becoming a small boolit/bullet manufacturer!!
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 10:22:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 10:30:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I suppose its just another government money grab and another attack on our 2nd. It really does kill a small business  that want to grow slowly. Its a go big or go home world. BALLS OUT take a huge risk and try to make a million or pack up and go home.

AL
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#4]
"The statutory authority of the President to promulgate regulations with respect to exports of defense articles and defense services is delegated to the Secretary of State by Executive Order 13637."

Was this done under OBAMA?
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 4:45:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I just got my O7 in hand a few days ago. I had heard that there were ways around ITAR (exceptions).
Did you not understand ITAR (and exceptions) before deciding you wanted to manufacture firearms?
ITAR isn't exactly a secret.

I looked around the web all night and cannot find anything that is going to get me off the hook for the $2250 or whatever it is. There is no way just starting off I can do this in my little shop at home. I may just drop the 07 to an 01 and be done.
You can't "convert" one type of FFL to another. You should contact your IOI and the FFLC immediately.

Now I also read if a customer orders a specific rifle in a specific configuration they do not consider it "manufacturing" instead its "gun smith work"
If a customer brings you a receiver and asks you to assemble it into a complete firearm...........its gunsmithing.
If you provide the receiver, barrel, etc and assemble into a complete firearm..........its manufacturing.
Read these:
https://www.atf.gov/files/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2009-1.pdf
https://www.atf.gov/files/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2009-2.pdf
https://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2010-10.htm

I originally wanted to get a run of my own AR15 receivers done and run an "a la carte" "build a gun" type of shop. I was also planning to Market The AR15 in this state to hunters with varmint models in 223 and deer/bear rifles in 6.8. But the profit margin cannot work with ITAR and a small shop. Not here, not now, not happening.
Did you write a business plan prior to your application for an 07FFL?

I am totally confused and need to do more research on what they consider "manufacturing".
Did you read any ATF regulations, Open Letters, Rulings or even threads on this website prior to your application for an FFL?
The need to pay ITAR isn't exactly a secret, but is often ignored by those who haven't read the important stuff.

I will be writing letters to everyone I can about this added government intrusion and THEFT.
Stop.
It isn't any more intrusive now than it was in 1968. Where was your letter writing then? You're a bit late to the party.
The requirement for 07's to pay ITAR isn't an ATF requirement and it certainly isn't theft. While I disagree with the idea for ITAR it isn't theft in any sense of the word. Using the terms "intrusion" and "theft" in any letter writing campaign will guarantee that the letter will be classified as nutjob ramblings and thrown away.

Not that it will make a bit of difference. It sucks because I already have a lot of time and money invested in this and now it is mostly wasted.
And that's YOUR fault.....not the fault of ATF or anyone in the government.

The Feds would make more money by lifting ITAR for us and collecting the FET and income tax than trying to scrape the $2250. They dont understand that business makes money for everyone not just the owners. It would cost the consumer about 45 dollars a rifle if I paid the ITAR if I stayed below the 50 rifles a year. If I produced 50 It would run the consumer even more. Making it impossible for me to be competitive in the market place. I believe we killed British for less than what they do to us right now. Pretty * discouraging. I was looking forward to growing this business but it does not look good.
No one is stopping you from being competitive or profitable but YOURSELF.
While ITAR fees are a pittance in the budgets of Colt, S&W, Glock, LaRue, etc....................they pay it just like any other 07FFL does.
The Federal government doesn't owe you the ability to be competitive in the marketplace.

If I do not produce any firearms by manufacture am I still on the hook for ITAR being a 07 FFL?
You should have read the 87 previous threads on ITAR, including RenegadeX's  excellent flowchart diagram on ITAR.

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/7/2014 4:50:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"The statutory authority of the President to promulgate regulations with respect to exports of defense articles and defense services is delegated to the Secretary of State by Executive Order 13637."

View Quote

Google is your friend.
(and ITAR wasn't Obamas idea btw)
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 8:06:53 PM EDT
[#7]
<-  07/C2
Quoted:
Now I also read if a customer orders a specific rifle in a specific configuration they do not consider it "manufacturing" instead its "gun smith work" I originally wanted to get a run of my own AR15 receivers done and run an "a la carte" "build a gun" type of shop. I was also planning to Market The AR15 in this state to hunters with varmint models in 223 and deer/bear rifles in 6.8. But the profit margin cannot work with ITAR and a small shop. Not here, not now, not happening. I am totally confused and need to do more research on what they consider "manufacturing".
View Quote

That is manufacturing, period.

To make it real simple for you:
If you are building/assembling/upgrading a firearm that your business owns for the purpose of reselling it, you are manufacturing.
If you are building/assembling/upgrading a firearm that someone else already owns and you only charge labor for and replacement parts, you are gunsmithing.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 6:54:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Google is your friend.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Google is your friend.

Obama didnt create ITAR but it changed under him correct?

I googled my eyes out reading the State dept regs. And also other peoples findings with ITAR.

Like I said I thought  there was a exception you could file with the State Dept.

My original post is not the letter I wrote to anyone so dont try to make it out like I wrote a crazy rant letter to some government official. GEEZE.

I havent written to the ATF about this as its not there area its the State Dept.

I just wrote to Susanne Collins.

AL
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 10:08:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No, it changed under Bush, that's when the annual fee went from $500.00/year to $2,250.00 per year.

Quoted:
Like I said I thought  there was a exception you could file with the State Dept.

Someone else wrote a letter asking for clarification on the activities that would require an 07 to register.  He does not have a response yet.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 10:38:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Honestly, I don't mean this in a condescending manner but, if you can't swing the ITAR fee you should seriously re-examine your business model and plan.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 11:22:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:13:42 AM EDT
[#12]
You applied for and received an 07 FFL, exactly what you wanted.  For all practical purposes anyone with an 07 FFL owes ITAR, there are very few 07 FFLs who will only research.  You haven't mentioned a SOT, most 07 applicants also pay their SOT and build or acquire post-samples.  They also complain about not wanting to pay ITAR, often saying "I only bought post-samples, I didn't build any."  They owe ITAR too.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:05:37 PM EDT
[#13]
One does not beat the taxman. The taxman beats you.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:53:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I suggest that you contact the State Department and get clarification on THEIR definition of manufacturing, it differs from the ATF's definition. If you are only assembling pre manufactured parts you are not obligated to pay ITAR.  DO NOT BELIEVE ME. Write a letter and get the response in writing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top