Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2014 6:21:00 PM EDT
If I was a Type 01 ffl and wanted to manufacture or lets say add stocks to rifle caliber pistols like the Yugo M92 PAP or AR15 pistols etc would I need to have a type 07 ffl or would paying the class 2 SOT

tax suffice to do this?

I'm thinking you may have to have both but just checking.

Also would I if I wanted to sell and transfer guns as well as manufacture have to have both a type 01 and type 07 or would just the type 07 work?

Reason I'm asking is I am in the process of my ffl type 01 being approved and have already had my orientation with the IOI. He said I was approved and I'm almost 2 weeks into waiting on my license. This is definitely

something I should have thought out more thoroughly and did think about it a lot but I'm considering I may now want to also manufacture or do altercations to pistols to make them short barreled rifles and subsequently class 3 weapons.

My original plan was to get my type 01 and then my pay my class 3 SOT tax when my ffl arrived. Now Im thinking about doing more than that. What would be your guys suggestions? I'm thinking I'd have to apply for an all new ffl right?
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 6:42:15 PM EDT
[#1]
07 FFL to MFG, then you need SOT since adding stock to those firearms is an SBR.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 7:34:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm thinking I'd have to apply for an all new ffl right?
View Quote

Yup.
You could try calling ATF first thing Monday and tell them to put a hold on that 01.

Remember, if you are manufacturing you also need to pay ITAR @ $2250 per year.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 9:09:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah the whole itar fees thing is what held me up to begin with and still may for a while.  A person really should have

an extension business plan before taking this leap. It's much more involved then just a regular ffl. Still feeling everything

out I guess.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 11:42:15 AM EDT
[#4]
ITAR put the end to my manufacturing 07. I didnt know enough about it before I paid for my 07. No I have an 07 I am not going to use unless my business really takes of and I can go big.

AL
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 4:23:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I could be wrong but I think you have to go through a completely new application process to get your ffl type 01 too. Which means another wait and another $200 fee on top of what you've already paid.

I could be wrong like I said but I think amended ffl forms are only for name and address changes. I will look and get back to you in a minute.

Edit: on the application for an amended ffl it has questions for things like name change, address change, partnership change, zoning change, and hours of operation change. I didn't see anything about the type of fll change.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 4:55:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I could be wrong but I think you have to go through a completely new application process to get your ffl type 01 too. Which means another wait and another $200 fee on top of what you've already paid.

I could be wrong like I said but I think amended ffl forms are only for name and address changes. I will look and get back to you in a minute.

Edit: on the application for an amended ffl it has questions for things like name change, address change, partnership change, zoning change, and hours of operation change. I didn't see anything about the type of fll change.
View Quote

Correct.
I do know of a couple of guys who filed for 01FFL and prior to the actual FFL being issued the IOI recommended changing to 07.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top