Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/24/2014 9:42:39 AM EDT
Im in the process of getting my ffl and have been doing further research on my class 03 that I will be paying the tax on once my ffl comes back. I have found that it seems for a regular class 03 dealer to get full autos you have to either

purchase a pre 86 transferrable or  have a law enforcement demo letter for pre 86 and post 86 dealer samples. I have ran into some stuff for sale that says you don't need a law enforcement letter. These look like pre 86 samples and post 86 samples that were

being sold by dealers closing out there class 03. Some of them said you had to be a 02 manufacturer with SOT. Is this true or can a regular class 03 purchase these as well without an O2 manufacturers license? Could someone please explain this to me in a little

more depth.

Also I just spoke to him to make sure he had the correct directions to my house. He said thanks and that we will see you tomorrow. Which made me think more than one was coming. Is this normal? Could it have been a figure of speech? Or do they do this sometimes? Could he be training someone?

As you can see it's got me thinking I should," hide the dog", so to speak.

I've passed many background checks such as KY concealed carry, several NFA purchases, and never had a delay or any gun purchase. So maybe IM just a little too nervous about the interview. What do you all think?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:21:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Dealers always need letters for post-86. No letter for pre-86.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:35:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

no letter for pre 86 dealer samples also???
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:02:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I had my SOT and never had a letter for Pre 86 samples...
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:13:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, it is very possible he is training someone. No need to worry.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:27:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Pre 86 samples are the ones you can keep also correct? That is why they cost so much more than post 86 samples.

Also what are the new laws on the demo letters? I've spoken to my sheriff and he has no problem writing the letters. However, I've read on here that you need

to have the exact model number and serial number plus make of each gun on the letter before you can be approved. So would you have to buy the gun ahead of time

then get the letter written with all that info to see if it will get approved? Hows that possible when most dealers wont sell you the gun in the first place without the letter.

You know there not going to hold it for you while you get the letter wrote without some cash. At least I don't think they would especially in auction type sales.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:40:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe if I make it bigger and bold it?

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:04:25 AM EDT
[#7]
A manufacturer or importer with SOT does not need a demo letter to purchase a post-sample from another SOT that is giving up the SOT.  That's probably why you see "no letter needed" - a dealer still needs one, an importer or manufacturer does not.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 6:18:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A manufacturer or importer with SOT does not need a demo letter to purchase a post-sample from another SOT that is giving up the SOT.  That's probably why you see "no letter needed" - a dealer still needs one, an importer or manufacturer does not.
View Quote

Thank you. This was my main question. It's hard to follow sometimes.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:24:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I thought a manufacture still needs one unless he is manufacturing one himself?
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:18:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, unless buying from an SOT that is going out of business.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 2:07:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

only going out of business, or just from another sot?
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 9:11:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only if the seller is going out of business or giving up their SOT.

From the Fedeal Firearms Reference Guide

§ 479.105 Transfer and possession of machine guns.

(f) Discontinuance of business.
Since section 922(o), Title 18, U.S.C., makes it unlawful to transfer or possess a machine gun except as provided in the law, any qualified manufacturer, importer, or dealer intending to discontinue business shall, prior to going out of business, transfer in compliance with the pro- visions of this part any machine gun manufactured or imported after May 19, 1986, to a Federal, State or local governmental entity, qualified manufacturer, qualified importer, or, subject to the provisions of paragraph (d) of this section, dealer qualified to possess such, machine gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top