Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2014 4:06:10 PM EDT
So I have secured a source for a Demo letter and would like to not have to continue to go back for each item so I will have them list multiples on one letter. My question is that does it have to state the actual manufacture of the item? Forexample with so many AR companies out there, and being able to have a local 07/02 I can work with on conversion would the letter have to state "Colt M16" or can it just state "M16" and use whichever I am able to locate the best price on ( or have a lower converted/built). Same issue with a AK-47. So many various sources and I have an AK guru who can also do a conversion (07/02).  

The list so far is below which could change based on what they already have.

AR-15 Drop in Auto Sear
Colt 9mm M-16
M-16
Glock 18
Glock Auto Sear
AK-47
HK MP5K-N
HK MP5A3
HK MP5A2
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:15:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm interested in the answer to this as well.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:03:25 PM EDT
[#2]
A Good friends is a 07/02.  He manufactured some machine guns and a local 01/03 wanted a couple.  ATF wanted make, model, serial and all the other info in the letter.  It was a long process to get a letter that the ATF would approve.  I will send him this link so he can help out.

MAHA
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:12:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup, ATF wants manufacturer, make, model, caliber and serial for each...
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:21:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I have seen some talking about them waning serial too which just really doesn't seem logical. So basically they want you to pay for an item, get the serial (without knowing if your letter will even be good) then submit the transfer. Kind of kills shopping around a bit .

I talked to the C3 guy at one of the larger AR companies last week to try getting the info (model number) they use for their M16 rifles and was told I only needed a letter saying I can posses one for demo purposes. When I wrnt back saying that I needed the exact model info going on the form he told me to have the PD call him
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:32:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yup, ATF wants manufacturer, make, model, caliber and serial for each...
View Quote

I never had to do that, nor do I know anyone who has.

In fact, I am not sure how a CLEO is going to get the SN of a gun he does not have, in order to put it on a letter.

One gun I had a demo letter for, was not even made yet when letter was written.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:08:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm seeing that maybe the SN doesn't have to be typed into the letter, but written on the letter when the letter is submitted with transfer form. Just so they can match the gun on the list with the gun on the transfer paperwork.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 4:58:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm seeing that maybe the SN doesn't have to be typed into the letter, but written on the letter when the letter is submitted with transfer form. Just so they can match the gun on the list with the gun on the transfer paperwork.
View Quote

Mine had to be typed on the letter
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:47:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like results vary by examiner which isn't surprising
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top