Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2014 1:18:53 PM EDT
Just got my 01 and trying to set up accounts with a few distributors. Which ones do you other home based dealers use?
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 2:35:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

I've been looking for some new sources of stuff; since I can't see that Williams site, are they any good?
I assume you have to actually call and get a number before you can complete that form for an account?
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:54:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Any of them will want you to fill out some sort of paper work. I  will not deal with any that will not let me have an open account. I use Zanders, RSR, Davidsons, Chattanooga, to name a few and they all allow open accounts. I was home based back when I started in 1993 then went to brick and motor for 10 years then back home and they all still have me as an open account. When I went to LLC I had to re-submit all the paperwork due to the owner structure.............. Same person, same bank account, same everything I just added the letters L L C to my name but they all wanted new applications for credit.........
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 11:35:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I've been looking for some new sources of stuff; since I can't see that Williams site, are they any good?

I assume you have to actually call and get a number before you can complete that form for an account?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

They are ok, but for a long time their website sucked. Used to get ammo from them, but mostly I order from Zanders.

Link Posted: 1/11/2015 11:43:07 PM EDT
[#5]
In addition to those listed, the following will also work with home-based FFLs:
Lipsey's
Sports South
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:06:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Lipsey's
Sports South
View Quote
Sports South doesn't work with home-based anymore except those that were in their system before they changed to B&M only.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 2:32:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sports South doesn't work with home-based anymore except those that were in their system before they changed to B&M only.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lipsey's
Sports South

When did that change?  That sucks.  

I pisses me off that distributors take this sort of mentality regarding non-traditional business models.  My "favorite" comment from years ago when talking with AcuSport about an account was when the rep said "we only with LEGITIMATE businesses."  I gave her an earful about that, explaining how I have all the proper city, state and federal licenses, and to be called an illegitimate business was unacceptable.  She backpedaled, but still said they only work with B&M.

But I guess to quote GD, "their business, their rules".  Doesn't mean I have to like it....
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 5:33:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

When did that change?  That sucks.  

I pisses me off that distributors take this sort of mentality regarding non-traditional business models.  My "favorite" comment from years ago when talking with AcuSport about an account was when the rep said "we only with LEGITIMATE businesses."  I gave her an earful about that, explaining how I have all the proper city, state and federal licenses, and to be called an illegitimate business was unacceptable.  She backpedaled, but still said they only work with B&M.

But I guess to quote GD, "their business, their rules".  Doesn't mean I have to like it....
View Quote

It's been a while
I hear that even Jerrys has the same policy for new accounts since they were bought out a couple of years ago
My understanding is that some of these companies started out of the founders garages, so they weren't even brick and mortar in their early days

I suspect there are a couple of reasons:
-even back 20 years ago there was a lot of negative press about table top guys who were buying on their FFLs and not keeping adequate records
-I think the big retail guys flex their buying power, don't want the competition from little guys, so they pressure distributors to not deal with small fish
- Some of that pressure might also come from manufacturers

I understand that stocking dealers deserve some breaks on prices because they're buying in bulk, but even guns sold individually by table tops are encouraging gun ownership and should be supported by gun makers and distributors
The guy who buys from a tabletop is still going to be buying ammo, accessories etc.
Some places simply don't have many or even any brick and mortar places
Til Boltworks tactical opened up in my county  few years ago your only options were small guys like me or a couple of places like Dicks Sporting Goods that as many here know will not deal with many types of weapons or bother with simple transfers of guns that didn't originate from their own inventory
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:09:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I think it's mostly volume thing. We were never told why at the distributor I worked for. The little guys did seem to be more trouble per dollar than the store guys but there are exceptions on both sides.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:51:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lipsey's
Sports South

Neither will Jerry's. I've read here that they would; I made the attempt and was denied. They want pictures of your storefront, etc.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 4:52:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I think it's mostly volume thing. We were never told why at the distributor I worked for. The little guys did seem to be more trouble per dollar than the store guys but there are exceptions on both sides.
View Quote

Depends on how good the website is for ordering by the distributor, and the individual dealer too.  I order all the time from Davidson's and RSR, only rarely speak to my sales rep.  Sports South's website isn't nearly as good (harder to find items quite frankly), so they get less business.

I do shoot them an email on occasion for allocated items, or a stock-watch request.  Overall, I'd say in my case, that I'm very little trouble per dollar.  But I could be the exception vs. the rule.....
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 2:34:42 PM EDT
[#12]
You ever get any traction on allocated items from RSR?
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 3:30:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

They aren't inclined to give you stuff unless you are throwing business their way. Offer to put in a big order if they can kick you something down. Remember accessories are much more profitable for everyone involved.

Unfortunately the bottom line is that some items are hard for them to get therefore even more likely to go to their big customers first.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:53:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Looking through RSR pricing, you can get a lot of hot items cheaper through DSG as a normal customer.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:43:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've gotten a few things over the years, but the way RSR handles allocated item requests is somewhat archaic.  You have to email your CSR and ask them to put a watch on it.  With Davidson's and Lipsey's, I can dump it on a "Wants List" or a "Wish List", and that automatically goes to the CSR.  But some stuff never seems to become available (like anything from Kel-Tec)......
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:06:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I've gotten a few things over the years, but the way RSR handles allocated item requests is somewhat archaic.  You have to email your CSR and ask them to put a watch on it.  With Davidson's and Lipsey's, I can dump it on a "Wants List" or a "Wish List", and that automatically goes to the CSR.  But some stuff never seems to become available (like anything from Kel-Tec)......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought there was a way to wish list something from the website but it's been a while. The real problem is the way product is actually allocated not just the way you get notified.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:59:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I thought there was a way to wish list something from the website but it's been a while. The real problem is the way product is actually allocated not just the way you get notified.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click the star next to the item to add as a favorite. The best way to get allocations is to spend money, lots of it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top