Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2014 10:27:01 AM EDT
Had a guy contact me about a transfer via email.

Gave him cost and address, never heard back.

Went out of town and had all packages held at fedex and UPS.

Got back and had a door tag and i recognized the name from the email a week or so back.

Went to FEDEX to pick up the packages and the guy at FEDEX said that package was picked up by some one this afternoon.   I said how did that happen i have door tag and my license??

So long story short this guy picked up his own gun....

Call to the ATF?  or now what?
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 10:51:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Call to the ATF?  
View Quote

Seriously? I can't believe you would need to ask what to do.

1. Call ATF
2. Call shipper and ask why they sent package with customer name on label AND gave customer tracking#.
3. Call local PD and report theft.
4. Call your customer and advise him to pick up Vaseline.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:09:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Tagging for the assraping..
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:07:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

1. Call ATF
2. Call shipper and ask why they sent package with customer name on label AND gave customer tracking#.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Call to the ATF?  

1. Call ATF

Called the ATF and forwarded emails.
What did he STEAL exactly?  he purchased the gun from Rock River Auction and when i talked to them they said it was there policy to give the tracking number to the person who purchased the gun.
Fedex should be the one preparing for an ass rape
Felony he committed from ATF  i would think that would trump local police.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:19:30 PM EDT
[#4]
tagging this
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:40:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Shipper is in trouble here.

They transferred a firearm to a non-licensee without a 4473, and if crossed state lines, add another felony. Never should have had the guys name on the package.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:44:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Fedex should be the one preparing for an ass rape.
View Quote

How so?

They gave a package to the guy whose name was on the box? What law did they break since clerk had no idea of contents. What if FFL name was not on package, just his address? Do they give package to FFL? This is shipper fail.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 1:17:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I would have contacted the person who picked up the rifle and explained the situation before calling the ATF. Did the Auction site have your FFL info on file?
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 1:36:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would have contacted the person who picked up the rifle and explained the situation before calling the ATF. Did the Auction site have your FFL info on file?
View Quote

Well i thought about that but also thought it was a bullshit move on his part.  Supposedly it had the business address and "care of the buyers name".  I was not taking a chance for some yahoo i have never met before.

yes i was on file with them.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 1:38:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

How so?

They gave a package to the guy whose name was on the box? What law did they break since clerk had no idea of contents. What if FFL name was not on package, just his address? Do they give package to FFL? This is shipper fail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?

they send firearms for a 21 and over signature for a reason. i would think they would check the address on his license, i also have the only door tag that was issued.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 2:03:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What did he STEAL exactly?
You are fucking kidding me. If you don't know what he stole why bother asking questions about what to do?he purchased the gun from Rock River Auction and when i talked to them they said it was there policy to give the tracking number to the person who purchased the gun.
Then tell them to notify ATF and explain how they assisted in the violation of Federal law. "it's policy" doesn't mean jack when the information is used to illegally intercept an interstate firearm shipment.

Not always, ATF rarely prosecutes low level infractions..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Call to the ATF?  

1. Call ATF

You are fucking kidding me. If you don't know what he stole why bother asking questions about what to do?he purchased the gun from Rock River Auction and when i talked to them they said it was there policy to give the tracking number to the person who purchased the gun.
Then tell them to notify ATF and explain how they assisted in the violation of Federal law. "it's policy" doesn't mean jack when the information is used to illegally intercept an interstate firearm shipment.

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 2:04:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They transferred a firearm to a non-licensee without a 4473, and if crossed state lines, add another felony. Never should have had the guys name on the package.
View Quote

Doubtful the shipper knew it was a firearm.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 2:17:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

shipper only sales firearms.  FEDEX had no clue just that it was signature required.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 2:18:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Call to the ATF?  

1. Call ATF

i am curios who's property did he take with the intent not to return?
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 3:55:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

they send firearms for a 21 and over signature for a reason. i would think they would check the address on his license, i also have the only door tag that was issued.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?

Are you saying the buyer is under 21 and did not sign for the package?

Seems his name was on package and he claimed it. If your name was on package shouldn't you be allowed to claim it? Address is really irrelevant for determining who the recipient is.

Nobody cares about a door tag.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 3:57:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My bad here, by shipper I meant seller, not FEDEX.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 3:59:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Horses have left the barn, but FWIW I would not have made a federal issue of it right away. I would have contacted buyer and tell him to bring it buy so I could log it in and do a 4473.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 4:15:43 PM EDT
[#17]
It's not uncommon to have the buyer and the FFL's name on the shipping label. Plenty of distributors do it when the customer initiates the purchase and the FFL is already on file. The seller is then responnsible for letting the shipper know of the contents.

The USPS requires a specific form just as ammunition requires the ORM-D labels. It sounds like this boils down to the seller not identifying the contents and a counter clerk not up to speed.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 5:25:49 PM EDT
[#18]
UPDATE:

Buyer showed up with his 30-30 from 1970 and said i think i need to sign some paper work.  He is 87 and from France.  ATF called him and told him "you cant do that".

He said he was trying to save me a trip to FEDEX.

i did not make a huge ordeal, just wanted to make sure i was covered.
So now i know and maybe someone else will run into the same issue.

Thanks for the comments.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:38:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

same

Quoted:
Never should have had the guys name on the package.

Easily half of the packages I get in under similar circumstances have the buyers name on the outside shipping label
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:14:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Easily half of the packages I get in under similar circumstances have the buyers name on the outside shipping label
View Quote

I find it hard to believe that the often maligned Bud's has figured out how to properly label and ship packages, but 50% of the dealers who bitch about Bud's can't figure it out.

It's damn simple:

Dealers name
Dealers address

AND DON'T PUT THE DAMN TRANSFEREES NAME ON THE FUCKING LABEL!..........put it elsewhere on the box.

Or you could just do what Palmetto did this summer and ship the lower directly to the customer and their upper and ammo to me.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:27:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I find it hard to believe that the often maligned Bud's has figured out how to properly label and ship packages, but 50% of the dealers who bitch about Bud's can't figure it out.

It's damn simple:

Dealers name
Dealers address

AND DON'T PUT THE DAMN TRANSFEREES NAME ON THE FUCKING LABEL!..........put it elsewhere on the box.

Or you could just do what Palmetto did this summer and ship the lower directly to the customer and their upper and ammo to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's damn simple:

Dealers name
Dealers address

I do ask the seller to include the buyers name IN THE BOX so I know whose gun just showed up
Somehow that translates into ON the box way too much of the time
FedEx managed to deliver a gun to a regular customer of mine  earlier this summer when I was not in for my normal FFL hours because I was dealing with code guys and contractors for my move to my new place
The buyer even protested their attempt to hand the gun to him.
Luckily he was smart enough to get on the phone with me and I ran over to grab the gun from him.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:35:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bud's used to put the label on so the buyer's name was visible.  I think they stopped after too many complaints of buyers bypassing the FFL.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:11:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Bud's used to put the label on so the buyer's name was visible.  I think they stopped after too many complaints of buyers bypassing the FFL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still get them with the buyers name visible. I don't know how the buyer can bypass the FFL.............Bud's tracking info usally arrives three days after the customer picks up the gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top