Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2014 1:24:13 PM EDT
Have any of you every bought from police auctions of confiscated firearms? If so what kind of condition are these usually in?

Is there anywhere that sells used firearms wholesale?

I'm getting fingerprinted/photographed this week, then mailing out my packet. Looking to find somewhere I can get a handful of decent used guns to have as inventory if I get approved.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:58:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody?
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:52:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nobody?
View Quote

Here's some advice.  Learn some patience.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:38:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Most municipalities will have some contingency that requires their department heads to go out to bid for things like this. In other words, 3 FFLs (if that was the minimum) would be invited to bid on the lot and then the town/city powers that be would select whom to go with. The guns get logged into your books care of the city/town and then you dispose of them however you want. Not too complicated actually, but having connections would obviously help.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 11:51:00 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 on connections. Also, don't expect any real inventory out of it. You'll be lucky to get any decent spare parts. Cops mostly confiscate crap guns from crap people.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:17:46 AM EDT
[#5]
When our local agencies sell off firearms, they bundle them into lots with maybe one nice gun and a bunch of shit guns per lot.  Only FFLs who register with the agency for these sales are allowed to bid. You must bid on and take the whole lot.

Probably different elsewhere, but that's how they roll here.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:34:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Much depends on your locality. In rural jurisdictions you're more apt to find "barn guns" (H&Rs, Savages and the like), lever guns and .22LR long guns in economy format. Your urban areas tend to show a better mix with the very occassional 5 screw S&W, Python and sweet bolt gun.

The sad thing is that a lot of it comes down to the political nature of the chief LEO. An anti-gun Sheriff or Chief will most likely cut the guns. Unfortunately I've seen it happen to some gorgeous and historically pristine firearms.

Contrary to some opinions, police departments aren't interested in seizing, storing and cataloging guns. It wastes time, man power, money and in some cases, places a storage liability on the agency. Plus, the process of judicially disposing the firearms through the courts is a long and often arduous affair.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 1:58:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure in KY they have to auction confiscated firearms, as they use the funds to purchase protective gear for officers. Might have to talk to my county sheriff and see what would be required to get on board with the program.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 2:23:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure in KY they have to auction confiscated firearms, as they use the funds to purchase protective gear for officers. Might have to talk to my county sheriff and see what would be required to get on board with the program.
View Quote

You're right in that KY is required by law to auction off confiscated guns. I remember that that law passed while I was stationed at Ft. Campbell.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 10:15:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:07:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I rarely mess with auctions of any type. Police auctions normally have a bunch of junk and a few nice pieces. The stuff has been sitting in storage for months or even years and not cared for. Rarely do you see stuff go at a price that you can make a decent profit.  If it's a public auction then you're competing with folks looking at buying at around retail. If it's a dealer only auction, then you're competing with folks that know their market very well.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:14:31 AM EDT
[#11]
My town just had a public gun auction at the police station for all the seized guns over summer. It was all over the radio on my way to work. Heard they sold some nice guns for pretty good prices but I missed it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 8:38:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I work for an agency and I will tell you that we destroy them (). There is a company that is nationwide that many departments use called Propertyroom.com. They are pushing to get agencies to release their guns to them. I spoke with their VP and he is using Gunauction to list their guns. they have a contract with gunauction.com (formerly auction arms) that gives them a low percentage per sale
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top