Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2014 4:26:53 PM EDT
I am having trouble shipping a hand gun I sold on GunBroker I am shipping thru my sister in law's and brother's FFL to a FFL dealer. The clerk at the PO would not ship (of course the PM was nowhere to be found sort of a Sopranos no show job.No one knows when he will be in or what time he leaves if he does come in). I did get a form 1508 and a copy of Domestic mail manual Chapter C024. The form was signed by the ffl holder. The clerk said the PM might not take the form from me as I am not the licensed owner. My sister in law just had leg surgery and has a hard getting out at the moment. I have copies of both FFL's (sender and recipient( I know I am dealing with a Government employee.) Any advice how to proceed? My only other option is FedEx at $67.00 second day ait from WV to MA
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:46:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am having trouble shipping a hand gun I sold on GunBroker I am shipping thru my sister in law's and brother's FFL to a FFL dealer. The clerk at the PO would not ship (of course the PM was nowhere to be found sort of a Sopranos no show job.No one knows when he will be in or what time he leaves if he does come in). I did get a form 1508 and a copy of Domestic mail manual Chapter C024. The form was signed by the ffl holder. The clerk said the PM might not take the form from me as I am not the licensed owner. My sister in law just had leg surgery and has a hard getting out at the moment. I have copies of both FFL's (sender and recipient( I know I am dealing with a Government employee.) Any advice how to proceed? My only other option is FedEx at $67.00 second day ait from WV to MA
View Quote

If you are not the FFL or an employee then you have no business taking the gun to the post office, and I suspect the clerk knows that.

Take the gun back to the FFL; they have to deal with it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:47:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Delete
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 6:58:44 PM EDT
[#3]
You have to have a 1508 form on file at the post office or the FFL has to fill one out when shipping the pistol

If you're not the FFL you can't ship the handgun.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:46:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You have to have a 1508 form on file at the post office or the FFL has to fill one out when shipping the pistol

If you're not the FFL you can't ship the handgun.
View Quote

That is my understating too. The FFL holder can ship via USPS.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:46:17 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're a 'responsible person"  for the FFL business, you can take the handgun to the USPS.  The FFL has to sign the 1508.  the 1508 is not filed.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:15:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your dealer is a complete and total idiot.

USPS regs allow a licensed dealer to mail handguns........it does not say a nonlicensee can borrow their FFL to do it themselves.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:55:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Dogtown Tom:
First off my dealer is not an idiot. You may have not understood what I was saying and I might might not have it clear about what I was doing. The only thing I was going to do was to take the package from her and take it to the post office to mail. She just had  leg surgery is going to PT.  The box was addressed from her, a licensed  FFD to the addressee a licensed FFD. Granted once the pistol was booked to her I should not
(under the letter of the law) had access to it. At the time I did not think I would be ambushed by ICIS and have it fall into their hands.To avoid this in the future I am going to have her put me on her license.
To end this story I called the post office today and after a half hour of busy signal, I spoke with a clerk and asked to speak with the postmaster who was out. Then the clerk asked if he could help, when I explained every thing he said no problem it could be shipped .Went out today at 14:30 hr
The thing that does not make sense is on the form 1508  it does not require she sender to have a copy of the addressees FFL only a reasonable expectation that they have one.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:30:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Dogtown Tom:
First off my dealer is not an idiot. You may have not understood what I was saying and I might might not have it clear about what I was doing. The only thing I was going to do was to take the package from her and take it to the post office to mail. She just had  leg surgery is going to PT.  The box was addressed from her, a licensed  FFD to the addressee a licensed FFD. Granted once the pistol was booked to her I should not
(under the letter of the law) had access to it. At the time I did not think I would be ambushed by ICIS and have it fall into their hands.To avoid this in the future I am going to have her put me on her license.
To end this story I called the post office today and after a half hour of busy signal, I spoke with a clerk and asked to speak with the postmaster who was out. Then the clerk asked if he could help, when I explained every thing he said no problem it could be shipped .Went out today at 14:30 hr
The thing that does not make sense is on the form 1508  it does not require she sender to have a copy of the addressees FFL only a reasonable expectation that they have one.
View Quote

Sorry, any dealer who does what your dealer did is an idiot.........and could face loss of her FFL if ATF found out.
Nothing in ATF or USPS regs permit someone other than the licensee from mailing the handgun.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:32:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Yup clerk was a idiot and FFL was wrong too. Glad you got your gun shipped but that dosnt make you right.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:53:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Your FFL should of handled the shipping, not you. You don't work there so you have no business completing the transaction. I'd start looking at another dealer since he couldn't handle such a menial responsible task.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:42:48 PM EDT
[#11]
It seems that you three can't read or understand what I am saying. My dealer is my sister in law (of 47 years). the only thing I  done wrong was taking the package from her premise to the post office (2 miles) instead of her.
I have seen other dealers posts saying they called for a pick up of a a priority mail shipment and handed the carrier the box and the 1508 form. Show me where the atf says the postal carrier can transport the firearm to the post office if he is not a licensed dealer. I don't see why we are getting into a pissing contest
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:49:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It seems that you three can't read or understand what I am saying. My dealer is my sister in law (of 47 years). the only thing I  done wrong was taking the package from her premise to the post office (2 miles) instead of her.
I have seen other dealers posts saying they called for a pick up of a a priority mail shipment and handed the carrier the box and the 1508 form. Show me where the atf says the postal carrier can transport the firearm to the post office if he is not a licensed dealer. I don't see why we are getting into a pissing contest
View Quote

No, we can read. What YOU don't seem to understand is that your ffl committed a violation of federal law by allowing a nonlicensee to take possession of the firearm.

USPS and  common carriers are exempt from transfer requirements.

You seem to think because its your sister in law, its not a problem.

As the other dealers have said.....she messed up.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:14:56 PM EDT
[#13]
No, again you did not read what I said. Yes you are correct once the gun was booked to her I should not have access to it unless I am on her license. I was trying to help her when she can not walk.That will be resolved very shortly. Believe me in this day and age the last thing I want is the ATF knocking at my door.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:19:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dude you need to shut the fuck up and quit posting in a public forum that your FFL (SIL) broke the law when she illegally gave you a firearm.  It does not matter what the intent was.  You are not an FFL nor are you the USPS letter carrier.  Next time have you FFL (SIL) schedule a USPS pick up and you'll avoid this train wreck!  That is all!
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:20:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No, we can read. What YOU don't seem to understand is that your ffl committed a violation of federal law by allowing a nonlicensee to take possession of the firearm.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  Your SIL needs to get her collective stuff straight before ATF bends her over, they are NOT NICE about this.  What's even more stupid is she could have just handed the box to her regular carrier along with the 1508 form, there was no need for you or her or anyone else to go to the post office.

FWIW I think everyone posting in this thread except the OP is a licensee.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:35:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I thank you all (I really mean it) the last thing I want to do is cause anyone a problem, especially family.
I thought I was doing something to help her out, my mistake won't happen again. Thanks again
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:02:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Bubbles:
Thanks for the reply. If we want to have  the USPS pick up the package I assume  we would pay for postage and insurance on line?
Then call for a pick up?
Like I said I was just trying to help out when she was unable to walk.
Many years ago when I was a LEO I had dealings with the ATF, I was unimpressed.
This might be hard to believe but my SIL has had an FFL for 37 years this is the first year anyone from ATF came to check the books.
This is WV, again thanks for the advice
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:08:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Your SIL is lucky.  I'm in WV 10 miles from ATF HQ.  I've had four inspections in seven years.  Comes with the territory.

Printing postage using USPS online is 1) easy and 2) cheaper than paying at the post office.  No need even to call for pickup, the mailman should be showing up every day - at least, ours does.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:33:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Your SIL is lucky.  I'm in WV 10 miles from ATF HQ.  I've had four inspections in seven years.  Comes with the territory.

Printing postage using USPS online is 1) easy and 2) cheaper than paying at the post office.  No need even to call for pickup, the mailman should be showing up every day - at least, ours does.

View Quote
This is interesting.  I quizzed my local post office employee when I mailed a handgun a few weeks back, and she said I had to bring the gun to the post office, and that I could not schedule a pickup or let the postman pick it up.  But knowing how long you've been doing this, I believe you.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:44:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This is interesting.  I quizzed my local post office employee when I mailed a handgun a few weeks back, and she said I had to bring the gun to the post office, and that I could not schedule a pickup or let the postman pick it up.  But knowing how long you've been doing this, I believe you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My driver is also a customer, so he takes good care of us.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top