Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2014 11:54:44 PM EDT
When my shooting team holds its next tournament; I am an FFL, can i sell guns there?  is that a qualified "gun show" or event?
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 10:56:15 AM EDT
[#1]

§478.100   Conduct of business away from licensed premises.

(a)(1) A licensee may conduct business temporarily at a gun show or event as defined in paragraph (b) if the gun show or event is located in the same State specified on the license: Provided, That such business shall not be conducted from any motorized or towed vehicle. The premises of the gun show or event at which the licensee conducts business shall be considered part of the licensed premises. Accordingly, no separate fee or license is required for the gun show or event locations. However, licensees shall comply with the provisions of §478.91 relating to posting of licenses (or a copy thereof) while conducting business at the gun show or event.

(2) A licensed importer, manufacturer, or dealer may engage in the business of dealing in curio or relic firearms with another licensee at any location.

(b) A gun show or an event is a function sponsored by any national, State, or local organization, devoted to the collection, competitive use, or other sporting use of firearms, or an organization or association that sponsors functions devoted to the collection, competitive use, or other sporting use of firearms in the community.

(c) Licensees conducting business at locations other than the premises specified on their license under the provisions of paragraph (a) of this section shall maintain firearms records in the form and manner prescribed by subpart H of this part. In addition, records of firearms transactions conducted at such locations shall include the location of the sale or other disposition, be entered in the acquisition and disposition records of the licensee, and retained on the premises specified on the license.

[T.D. ATF-270, 53 FR 10498, Mar. 31, 1988, as amended by T.D. ATF-401, 63 FR 35523, June 30, 1998]
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 12:08:44 PM EDT
[#2]
"in the community" is the only rub I see.  If this is at a private club I'd say it's a bad idea.  If it's open to public, maybe.  Additionally, if you are the only one selling its not really a show or event.  I'm fairly sure the spirit of the law requires it be open to all public and ffl holders.  

If you just want to set up a table and sell at a place you know shooters hang out you are jeopardizing your licence.  I imagine it would be legal to offer products and demos as long as you do not sell anything until you meet this person later at your place of business.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 2:01:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
"in the community" is the only rub I see.  If this is at a private club I'd say it's a bad idea.  If it's open to public, maybe.  Additionally, if you are the only one selling its not really a show or event.  I'm fairly sure the spirit of the law requires it be open to all public and ffl holders.  
View Quote

The definition is broad and does not require sales, note the use of the word "or".

A GSSF match or IDPA, match etc, is a gun show, based on the first example.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:10:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
....... I'm fairly sure the spirit of the law requires it be open to all public and ffl holders......
View Quote

So gun shows  should stop charging admission and should give all dealers free tables?

No federal law says that a gun show or special event has to admit "the public" or allow unrestricted access to anyone with an FFL...........that's just a damn silly idea.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:06:35 PM EDT
[#5]
There's a list of requirements for doing business at a gunshow you should look up and read over.  Only big difference I saw offhand is that your license must be on display where ever you set up at the "gunshow".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top