Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2014 8:55:23 PM EDT
Im sure you've all seen the FFL123 kit online guide to getting your FFL. Is this kit worth it?

Ive read so much stuff and all of it seems different and incomplete on exactly what I need to do to get my FFL. I'm wanting to get a Class 01 and 02 along with my class 03 to sell NFA items.

Would this be a wise choice to purchase this kit to get started on getting my license or is there another way to find out everything?
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:08:30 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're happier with the hand holding and spoon feeding it represents, then maybe it's worth it for you.

Nothing in there you can't figure out for yourself,  though.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:17:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you're happier with the hand holding and spoon feeding it represents, then maybe it's worth it for you.

Nothing in there you can't figure out for yourself,  though.
View Quote

I agree it does have a lot of info I already know. It's what I don't know or am having trouble feeling confident in the info I think I know. This does seem to be a dummy's guide on "How To" but I want to get it right the first time.

I also don't want to not have everything I need done with the interview happens. I want to be able to give them everything they need to speed the process up and basically just be waiting on their approval after the interview
process is completed.

My second guessing comes from the fact I'm doing this at home and have heard about issues with insurance, zoning, etc. Insurance and Zoning being the bigger ones. I have been able to find any requirements for zoning in a residential section
of my county that I need to do. Basically I can have a business in my home in my county. So do I just need a letter stating that fact from them to speed up the process or what?

Also what's the deal with insurance?  I've heard everything from you can't get it on a home based FFL to if your homeowners ins finds out they will drop you. Does anyone know of any ins. providers in Ky for a home based FFL?
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 6:15:19 PM EDT
[#3]
FFL123...Don't' waste your time or money.  Everything you need to know can be found on the ATF's website.

Zoning...This will be your biggest hurdle to overcome.  Your city, county or local zoning office will let you know if you can run a gun business out of your home.  Yes, the ATF will check.

Insurance...YMMV from others.  I have heard the same...some home based FFLs getting cancelled.  You may have to have two policies...home and business.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:30:13 AM EDT
[#4]
FFL123 isn't going to call your zoning for you, or your insurance company. That's something you can handle on your own for free. The application is also available at no charge from the ATF website. Any questions you have about completing the application can be answered by the ATF or I'm sure people here can help you out.

Don't waste your money on the kit.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:42:23 AM EDT
[#5]
so the answer is

NO
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:26:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Im sure you've all seen the FFL123 kit online guide to getting your FFL. Is this kit worth it?

Ive read so much stuff and all of it seems different and incomplete on exactly what I need to do to get my FFL. I'm wanting to get a Class 01 and 02 along with my class 03 to sell NFA items.

Would this be a wise choice to purchase this kit to get started on getting my license or is there another way to find out everything?
View Quote

I hope this doesn't come across as rude, nor is it meant to belittle those who bought the FFL123 kit.

If you don't have the ability to read ATF regulations (there aren't that many) and fill out a Form 7 you have no business being a licensed gun dealer.

The guy that wrote FFL123 reads this forum. I know because he offered to pay me to endorse his product. I'm sure he has asked others on here as well. I declined for several reasons....first and foremost I just flat out think it a waste of $$$$. EVERYTHING you need to educate yourself on Federal gun laws and ATF regulations is at ATF.gov for FREE.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:08:15 PM EDT
[#7]
How much did he offer you for endorsement?
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 4:09:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How much did he offer you for endorsement?
View Quote

I didn't ask, as my integrity has a price point far above what he could afford.
I told him "Sorry, not interested in endorsing anything I haven’t used myself".

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 4:24:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Good answer! So it proves what most already think about the ffl123 scheme, and that's  a guy selling something you don't need, and trying to make a buck by making the ATF rules harder to understand. He's probably like some of the trust attorneys who are against taking suppressors off the NFA tax. Now that is just dirty business there.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 12:08:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

FYI, FFL licenses are classified by Type, while Special Occupational Taxes are known by their Class. A Type 01 FFL is a dealer of firearms, while a Type 02 is a pawnbroker, and a Type 03 is a collector of Curio & Relics. A Class 3 SOT allows a dealer of firearms to deal in NFA firearms. A Class 1 SOT is for importers of NFA weapons, and a Class 2 SOT is for manufacturers of NFA firearms.

Don't waste your time and money on FFL123. Sit down in front of your computer, pull up www.atf.gov, click on the Firearms tab, and read everything on it related to FFL's. If you feel that you understand it well enough to stay out of prison, go ahead and submit your application. If you sort of understand it, but need a bit of clarification, you can either come back here and seek guidance, or you can call the BATFE's National Licensing Center and ask them. Be forewarned, however, that you can call BATFE 20 times, speak to 10 different employees, and get 30 different answers. If you read the ATF's web site and are completely lost-in-the-sauce, you might take that as an indicator that the gun business isn't for you. If you can't make heads or tails of the regulations concerning getting a license, you are going to be completely over your head when it comes to keeping it, especially with Title II firearms involved.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 9:59:55 AM EDT
[#11]
This is sort of like one of my businesses, tax work.  I can prepare your tax return for you, for a fee.  Or, you can use TurboTax and do it yourself, following the directions.  You don't really need me to do it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 8:07:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Well I sent off for my ffl packets plus the class 3 tax form. I have worked for several ffl's in the past and have called in background checks, loaded 4473's in the book, etc. I know quite a bit but you just hear all this bullshit that makes it sound

harder than it is. Mostly from other FFL's probably trying to keep you from taking the leap. I believer I understand what needs to be done.

I also read on the ATF site that they give you a period of time even after granting your FFL to you to get your insurance and some other requirements that I'll have to read again to remember. However I plan on trying to have everything took care of before hand.

I know you can't even file for the class 3 until you have your EIN but I believe it was included on the above part I read. I do want my Type 01 and 02 because I want to be able to pawn guns also. I didn't see it anywhere on the application but it doesn't require

2 $200 payments to get both right? I know the Class 3 is an extra $500 tax on top of the 01.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:26:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
... I do want my Type 01 and 02 because I want to be able to pawn guns also. I didn't see it anywhere on the application but it doesn't require

2 $200 payments to get both right? I know the Class 3 is an extra $500 tax on top of the 01.
View Quote

You don't get two FFL's......if you want to pawn, you'll get an 02. An 02 can do everything an 01 can do.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 10:38:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Have you looked into getting a pawn license from your state/city? Often times this is a much more extensive process than getting an FFL.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:43:58 PM EDT
[#15]
No I haven't checked into that yet. I may not even get it right now if it's going to be a pain in the ass because I won't be pawning anything except maybe a few guns until I open a storefront. I was just wanting to save a couple of $200 by

not having to update the license later when I do open the storefront.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top