Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2014 10:59:07 AM EDT
Hi folks.  Do 07/02 ever work with 01/03 dealers on NFA stuff?  I'd like to have some title II stuff made (maybe some SBRs) for my business.  Is this uncommon?
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 12:17:43 PM EDT
[#1]
It's very common.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 1:00:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Just remember you'll need demo letters or government POs for any post-sample machineguns.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 1:52:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's very common.
View Quote
That reminds me, I need to get back up there once I figure out what I need done.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 3:26:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies.  So how does this work?  Can I spec out what I want to build, send all the parts to the 07, 07 builds it, files the form 2, then form 3 to me with gun?
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 3:59:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.  So how does this work?  Can I spec out what I want to build, send all the parts to the 07, 07 builds it, files the form 2, then form 3 to me with gun?
View Quote
Yep, but they have to wait for the form 3 to clear before they can ship to you.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 4:08:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Form three is relatively quick though, right?
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 4:14:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Form 3s are taking about 45 days.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 4:48:13 PM EDT
[#8]
There will be excise tax on any complete firearms they make for you.  If sufficiently pricey, it can be worth using a tax paid Form 4, even between SOTs, as a transfer tax replaces normal excise tax.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#9]
No excise tax on NFA items. As SOTs we've already paid the tax.

http://www.ttb.gov/firearms/faet-faqs.shtml

"The following types of sales are exempt from FAET:

Sales of Firearms Subject to the National Firearms Act (NFA). [Refer to 26 U.S.C. 4182(a) , 5845 and 27 CFR 53.62(a)]."
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 5:55:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's how we do it.  Charges are pretty minimal: - Title II paperwork/transfer fee for the combined F2/F3, gunsmithing (if anything more involved than "pushing the pins"), standard Title II engraving, and return shipping w/ insurance.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 4:39:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hi folks.  Do 07/02 ever work with 01/03 dealers on NFA stuff?  I'd like to have some title II stuff made (maybe some SBRs) for my business.  Is this uncommon?
View Quote

Awesome! I was just going to post the same question. As a followup, where is the best place to find an 07/02 to do the work? I have a couple items I'd like to be made into SBR's and form 3'ed back to me.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 4:52:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 6:00:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Awesome! I was just going to post the same question. As a followup, where is the best place to find an 07/02 to do the work? I have a couple items I'd like to be made into SBR's and form 3'ed back to me.
View Quote
We use Bubbles exclusively. Work is always to spec and on time.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 6:58:07 PM EDT
[#14]
We use Bubbles exclusively. Work is always to spec and on time.
View Quote

Bubbles got back to me before I could read my own post!  
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:02:02 AM EDT
[#15]
What about 07/02 to another 07/02, would a law letter be required, or not since both are manufacturers?

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 10:10:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What about 07/02 to another 07/02, would a law letter be required, or not since both are manufacturers?
View Quote

Yes, unless the selling 07/C2 is going out of business.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 11:03:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

07/C2 #1 procures non-NFA receiver, engraves it, files Form 2, and waits.

Once approved Form 2 has been received the 07/C2 can send the receiver and parts to any licensee (IIRC SOT not required) to be completed as gunsmithing.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 1:16:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Once approved Form 2 has been received the 07/C2 can send the receiver and parts to any licensee (IIRC SOT not required) to be completed as gunsmithing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any reason to wait? Wouldn't a copy of the submitted form 2 be acceptable?
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:25:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really kosher... F2 is notification of firearms manufactured, not notification of intent to have a firearm manufactured by someone else on your behalf.  Originating C2 is responsible for marking the firearm and completing it to the point it can be legally considered the firearm, before sending it off elsewhere for finishing work under the guise of gunsmithing.

Originating C2 drills sear hole and marks receiver for post sample machine gun: can be shipped off to another licensee to mill the interior and refinish it.

Originating C2 marks a piece of plate steel and ships it off with a SAW parts kit to have the sheet steel machined into a side plate and assembled around the parts kit? Not legal to ship off to another C2 - originating C2 needs to complete the side plate to firearm status before shipping it off with the parts kit to be completed.

In your specific example, simply acquiring and marking an AR receiver then sending it off for drilling and milling by someone else would be absolutely illegal for making a post sample machine gun. As an SBR it'd be legal if the originating C2 put a short upper on it first, but kind of silly since no one needs technical assistance putting a short upper on an AR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top