Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2014 8:03:37 AM EDT
I know a person can ship a firearm to themselves across state lines in the lower 48.

Just checking for a friend if the same is true from AK state back to the lower 48.  Illinois actually.  He is move back but is going to drive back and doesn't want to deal with hassles at the borders ( either country)

Any issue with just shipping it to himself (c/o a legal gun owner with Illinois FOID) since this is coming out of Alaska?  I know shipping is odd here since everything moves by plane or boat here.

USPS or UPS?  Either better for shipping "machine parts"?
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:13:05 AM EDT
[#1]
https://www.atf.gov/content/firearms-frequently-asked-questions-unlicensed-persons#shipping-firearms-usps
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:33:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep, knew most of this.  Still looking to find out if anything is different with AK shipping.  Hoping the answer is no.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 9:20:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I know a person can ship a firearm to themselves across state lines in the lower 48.

Just checking for a friend if the same is true from AK state back to the lower 48.  Illinois actually.  He is move back but is going to drive back and doesn't want to deal with hassles at the borders ( either country)

Any issue with just shipping it to himself (c/o a legal gun owner with Illinois FOID) since this is coming out of Alaska?  I know shipping is odd here since everything moves by plane or boat here.

USPS or UPS?  Either better for shipping "machine parts"?
View Quote

<---FFL
Alaska is still a part of the USA, so the same rules apply.
While federal law allows someone to ship a firearm interstate addressed to themselves, your only option is USPS for a rifle or shotgun. Firearms other than a rifle or shotgun (handguns, frames, receiver or other firearms capable of being concealed) are only mailable by a licensed dealer or manufacturer.

Both UPS and FedEx require a licensee to receive any firearm they ship with the exception of the return of a repaired or replacement firearm to the owner.

Calling it "machine parts" doesn't change the fact that it is a firearm. Failure to notify a common carrier in writing (UPS/FedEx) that you are shipping a firearm interstate to a nonlicensee (even yourself) is a felony. Get caught and you'll never own a gun again.

If it's a rifle or shotgun, have your friend mail it USPS and addressed to himself in Illinois.
If it's a firearm other than a rifle or shotgun:
1. by a FFL in Alaska to a dealer in Illinois via USPS (cheapest), UPS Next Day or FedEx Overnight
2. by himself to a dealer in Illinois via UPS Next Day or FedEx Overnight

Link Posted: 7/2/2014 9:56:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Got it.  Thx!  That is the detail I was looking to get.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top