Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 12:30:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes.. I am a sole propriter

I have 1 AR, 1 pistol, 1 22 rifle that I personally own and will not sell. If I did sell something it would be the pistol as I just got it (Glock 30) and can get another.
The AR will stay with me till the end, as yes it is a 1 off I built when a friend died and I have a custom tat on the dustcover from when we BOTH got tats one drunken night.
The 22 rifle will be my sons (I already said it was his).

Like I said my RP gave me $5500 to stick it out for 2-3 months.. so right now I am fine.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 12:39:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My RP/Investor gave me $5500 cash for myself to stay here and my personal bills paid for 120 days..

Already sold 2 pistols this week.. so maybe in 3 months things will kick back in and I will plan better for next springs drought..

$160.00

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 8:28:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Listen.

I know I got myself into a mess  

But I have also been hearing from others business is SLOW for them as well.

So all the eyes being posted without anything to add is non-productive on the thread.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 9:43:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Lots of folks telling you to write a business plan. Great advice, but do you even know what a business plan is or what should be in it? I get the sense that you don't. Here's a place to start: http://www.sba.gov/writing-business-plan

It's probably too late for that, but the thought process may help you see your way forward. Take this seriously.

Beyond that, I'd say you need to do two things:

1.) Bring in more customers
2.) Diversify your products and services offerings.

On the first, what are you doing now to bring people in? Are you advertising? My advice is to go for the low-hanging fruit, the most cost-effective things. Follow Downtown Tom's suggestion and list yourself as a transfer dealer on Gunbroker.com. Get registered on all the website/search engine free listings (i.e. GooglePlaces). Don't pay for this, btw. Spend some money on Google Adwords. This is how people find stuff today. Really work your facebook page. Put up a decent/informative webpage. Take out classifieds ads in the local newspaper (not display ads) listing used guns for sale.

As for the second, guns and accessories isn't going to cut it, especially not at your inventory level. If you sold every gun in your store, would you make enough money to pay your expenses and earn a wage?

You need to diversify. Can you get a pawn license? If folks in your area don't have money to buy guns, maybe you can loan them money. What needs aren't being addressed in your area? Would camping supplies sell? Chainsaws? Liquor? I don't know what you should add to increase your sales volume. Only you can answer that, but writing a business plan would help? What? You only want to sell guns? Do you only want to sell guns YOU like? Seriously, being in business is all about satisfying the CUSTOMER's needs. Not yours.

ETA: FWIW, I own a small town pawnshop. I have an FFL and typically have about 50-80 long guns (new and used) and 25 handguns (mostly new) in stock. I may have 100-125 guns in pawn at any given time. Guns are just part of my business. I do about 500 4473's every year, including transfers. In other words, I'm small time. All that said, my gun sales are slow right now, too. They always are in the summer, but this summer seems especially slow. I'd hate to have to rely solely on gun sales right now. Frankly, I don't understand how full-service gun shops make it in the first place. Seems like a shitty business model to me.

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 9:54:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Marfa is has lots of wealthy people. The trick is getting them to spend money since the rest of the town and surrounding area is pretty broke.

Don't try to be the walmart of AK/ARs. You'll slowly bleed yourself to death trying to sell enough low profit items to survive.

Most of the wealthy are arts people. That's why they moved to Marfa.

If you can assume a few of them like guns (lots of lib arts people don't), then you need to sell them NICE guns, where one nice gun sale could keep your business afloat an entire month.

Most arts people are NOT interested in AR/AK type guns.

See if you can get your investor to look into nice 1911's, high end shotguns, etc. You might be able to land a whale client that will have you order some nice guns fairly regularly.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 10:07:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
<snip>

I'd hate to have to rely solely on gun sales right now. Frankly, I don't understand how full-service gun shops make it in the first place. Seems like a shitty business model to me.

View Quote

It IS a shitty business model. I had a storefront FFL in Colorado from 2002-2004. I did a business plan and the whole nine yards of market study, etc., and business was just TOUGH. The internet is a huge competitor and gun people (hell, EVRYBODY) is cheap. To tell what I learned would take pages and I just don't want to write it. For the money I lost I could have gotten my MBA at Wharton instead of night school.

OP, you have made a huge mistake. Take the good advice you have received in this thread.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 10:10:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Marfa is has lots of wealthy people. The trick is getting them to spend money since the rest of the town and surrounding area is pretty broke.

Don't try to be the walmart of AK/ARs. You'll slowly bleed yourself to death trying to sell enough low profit items to survive.

Most of the wealthy are arts people. That's why they moved to Marfa.

If you can assume a few of them like guns (lots of lib arts people don't), then you need to sell them NICE guns, where one nice gun sale could keep your business afloat an entire month.

Most arts people are NOT interested in AR/AK type guns.

See if you can get your investor to look into nice 1911's, high end shotguns, etc. You might be able to land a whale client that will have you order some nice guns fairly regularly.
View Quote

Unless he's selling $25,000 shotguns, I don't think that part in red is even possible.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 12:11:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Frankly, I don't understand how full-service gun shops make it in the first place. Seems like a shitty business model to me.
View Quote

A full-service gun shop doesn't make it on gun sales, they make it on services - gunsmithing, training, firing range, sales of accessories, etc.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 12:48:45 PM EDT
[#9]
If you don't have adequate demand, you won't sell much.  

Ever think of opening a donut shop in a small town filled with health nuts that won't eat fried food?  Well, it would flop.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 1:02:49 PM EDT
[#10]
It's dry everywhere.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

A full-service gun shop doesn't make it on gun sales, they make it on services - gunsmithing, training, firing range, sales of accessories, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Frankly, I don't understand how full-service gun shops make it in the first place. Seems like a shitty business model to me.

And hopefully, lots of gunsmithing, training, range rentals because those are things it's tough to buy on the Internet. The customer can always find accessories a lot cheaper online.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 1:34:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Marfa is has lots of wealthy people. Marfa doesn't have a lot of people period.
The trick is getting them to spend money since the rest of the town and surrounding area is pretty broke.

Don't try to be the walmart of AK/ARs. You'll slowly bleed yourself to death trying to sell enough low profit items to survive. He's already bled out and keeps stabbing himself.

Most of the wealthy are arts people. That's why they moved to Marfa. Yeah, wealthy "arts people" are known for their gun buying habits.

If you can assume a few of them like guns (lots of lib arts people don't), then you need to sell them NICE guns, where one nice gun sale could keep your business afloat an entire month. Seriously? You're advising him to invest MORE $$$$ into a business that has already failed.

Most arts people are NOT interested in AR/AK type guns. Wild ass guess?

See if you can get your investor to look into nice 1911's, high end shotguns, etc. You might be able to land a whale client that will have you order some nice guns fairly regularly. Oh good grief.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 1:52:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Listen.

So all the eyes being posted without anything to add is non-productive on the thread.
View Quote

Sorry, most "nonproductive" thing in this thread is YOU.
The reason there are so many of these ----> in this thread is that it is almost inconceivable that someone would expect to earn a living with so little money invested in inventory and choose one of the worst places in America to open a retail gun store.......and have sat on their ass for four months wondering why customers aren't breaking down the door.

Since you started this thread have you sketched out a business plan?
Since you started this thread have you REALLY discussed the business with your "RP"?
Since you started this thread have you investigated OTHER items you could sell in your store?
Since you started this thread have you listed guns for sale on Gunbroker or other online auctions?

Several months back you were asked "where in Texas?"..........you refused to answer. If you had been a bit more forthcoming you might have been spared this clusterfuck.

There is a reason you are the only gun store for 100 miles.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 2:49:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Marfa is has lots of wealthy people. Marfa doesn't have a lot of people period.
The trick is getting them to spend money since the rest of the town and surrounding area is pretty broke.

Don't try to be the walmart of AK/ARs. You'll slowly bleed yourself to death trying to sell enough low profit items to survive. He's already bled out and keeps stabbing himself.

Most of the wealthy are arts people. That's why they moved to Marfa. Yeah, wealthy "arts people" are known for their gun buying habits.

If you can assume a few of them like guns (lots of lib arts people don't), then you need to sell them NICE guns, where one nice gun sale could keep your business afloat an entire month. Seriously? You're advising him to invest MORE $$$$ into a business that has already failed.

Most arts people are NOT interested in AR/AK type guns. Wild ass guess?

See if you can get your investor to look into nice 1911's, high end shotguns, etc. You might be able to land a whale client that will have you order some nice guns fairly regularly. Oh good grief.

The Marfa/Alpine/FtDavis/Balmorehea area has enough people to support one good gunshop that doesn't try compete with Walmart. Marfa has had a lot of wealthy people move out there recently. Go look at the jets sitting on their airport.
Yes, the current business model is failing.
Yeah, they would have to go for the $2000+ 1911's, the $5000 + shotguns.
I said that arts people not generally buying guns, but there are a few out there.
McBrides in Austin has a number of high end customers that spend more in a year on guns than you probably make. This guy needs to go after them, not the guy who argues over $1/magazine.

Yeah, it's a double down scenario for this guy. *shrug* Marfa area is a niche market. If they want to stay in business, they need to change. More than likely it will fold.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 5:58:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No need to call me a "po-bah"..........I've not called you any names, belittled your business, nor have I claimed to know everything there is about being a successful gun dealer.

But since you asked......
I'm a full time teacher. I applied for my FFL when the guy I was using for transfers started dropping the ball.

My business plan was simple:
Offer firearm transfers cheaper than the local gun stores and be more efficient, prompt and courteous to customers than the LGS (that consider transfers a nuisance a best)

Other than business insurance and a few office items (extra computer, phone line, fax machine) my expenses are very low.

I listed myself on GunBrokers  "Find an FFL". When I started in 2008 I thought I would be lucky to run 30 transfers a month. Unfortunately, Mr Obama became my best salesman and I did 30 my first month, and doubled that the next month, and doubled that the third month. Before Obama was sworn in I had 200 transfers under my belt.

Other than "Find an FFL" search engines its word of mouth. I have been in business for six years and have 1900+ customers. Although some have only done one or two transfers, I have about a hundred that average one gun a month.

Since 2008, I've averaged 165 transfers each month......with a high of 327 in January 2013. This year I'm averaging 181 a month.
Understand that I live in Plano, TX with a population of 270,000.............and a population of over a million within a twenty minute drive of my house. That makes my potential customer base more than I could handle. I am not the only home based dealer in Plano......there are at least 12-18 others.
One LGS and two Academy Sports refer people to me when they are asked about transfers. I have a surprising number of customers who work for Cabelas, Academy or one of the LGS.

I only do four gun shows a year, and I'm happy to order firearms that customers want..........actual firearm sales from inventory are limited to new Glocks and a few used firearms: handguns/AR's/AK's/shotguns.

Bottom line? I couldn't be as successful as I am if I was in Marfa, Texas..................there simply isn't enough of a market to make it profitable for a home based dealer, much less renting a storefront and paying that kind of overhead.

I regularly turn down offers from "investors" wanting me to open a brick & mortar store. What they don't realize is my store would be no different than any of the existing gun stores in town....just smaller. A booming business doing transfers does not equal a booming business doing actual sales. I'll never be able to beat Bud's, Kentucky Gun or some of the larger online sellers. Their volume is so high that they get better pricing and deeper discounts than I could. Sometimes I think my transfer fee is more $$$$$ than they make in profit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I get at least 1-2 inquiries per week on the classes.. I figure at least 60 have asked when.. when.. when..

So their is a snow balls chance for that..

Okay, if you teach those 60 people then what?
Since there aren't renewal classes anymore, how will you continue to make $$$$ on teaching CHL classes?
I think you are in for a rude awakening when you get your instructors cert and schedule that first class. You'll soon see that inquiries and interest don't equal an actual sale.

Again, do you have a business plan or are you just going to keep throwing money making ideas at the wall and see what sticks?

Yup..  

Whats your business plan oh grand po-bah and how much $ did you have to put in to get open and make profit with??

No need to call me a "po-bah"..........I've not called you any names, belittled your business, nor have I claimed to know everything there is about being a successful gun dealer.

But since you asked......
I'm a full time teacher. I applied for my FFL when the guy I was using for transfers started dropping the ball.

My business plan was simple:
Offer firearm transfers cheaper than the local gun stores and be more efficient, prompt and courteous to customers than the LGS (that consider transfers a nuisance a best)

Other than business insurance and a few office items (extra computer, phone line, fax machine) my expenses are very low.

I listed myself on GunBrokers  "Find an FFL". When I started in 2008 I thought I would be lucky to run 30 transfers a month. Unfortunately, Mr Obama became my best salesman and I did 30 my first month, and doubled that the next month, and doubled that the third month. Before Obama was sworn in I had 200 transfers under my belt.

Other than "Find an FFL" search engines its word of mouth. I have been in business for six years and have 1900+ customers. Although some have only done one or two transfers, I have about a hundred that average one gun a month.

Since 2008, I've averaged 165 transfers each month......with a high of 327 in January 2013. This year I'm averaging 181 a month.
Understand that I live in Plano, TX with a population of 270,000.............and a population of over a million within a twenty minute drive of my house. That makes my potential customer base more than I could handle. I am not the only home based dealer in Plano......there are at least 12-18 others.
One LGS and two Academy Sports refer people to me when they are asked about transfers. I have a surprising number of customers who work for Cabelas, Academy or one of the LGS.

I only do four gun shows a year, and I'm happy to order firearms that customers want..........actual firearm sales from inventory are limited to new Glocks and a few used firearms: handguns/AR's/AK's/shotguns.

Bottom line? I couldn't be as successful as I am if I was in Marfa, Texas..................there simply isn't enough of a market to make it profitable for a home based dealer, much less renting a storefront and paying that kind of overhead.

I regularly turn down offers from "investors" wanting me to open a brick & mortar store. What they don't realize is my store would be no different than any of the existing gun stores in town....just smaller. A booming business doing transfers does not equal a booming business doing actual sales. I'll never be able to beat Bud's, Kentucky Gun or some of the larger online sellers. Their volume is so high that they get better pricing and deeper discounts than I could. Sometimes I think my transfer fee is more $$$$$ than they make in profit.

Simply brilliant.   Thanks for sharing your story.  I always knew that business model could work well.  It just takes the right person.  Organized, hardworking, personable and ...sane.    The internet really has changed the landscape, and most gun stores are resistant to embracing it.  

OP-  these people are trying to help you.  Even the negative ones.   You shouldn't post a   " "  "my investor just gave me another $5000".    It should be a look of terror, in how you are going to avoid losing it.

Personally, I think the range idea may be a good one.   Everywhere I've lived and traveled, that's the one thing that is in short supply.  

Also, if people are asking about AK's and AR's you should have at least a couple of examples.  $1100 tops for both.

Are you able to take consignments to increase your stock?         If I were to walk into a shop like yours, I would walk out and never return, unless there was something compelling, like a $10 gun range or a $15 transfer.

It's just sad and depressing, as it stands.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 12:19:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

OP-  these people are trying to help you.  Even the negative ones.   You shouldn't post a   " "  "my investor just gave me another $5000".    It should be a look of terror, in how you are going to avoid losing it.

View Quote

The $5500 was for me personally for my bills and such.. not store related and to be used on store stuffs..  hence the

I am giving it 120 days.. and see what happens.. if nothing.. then I pull the license and go back home to PA/NJ.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 12:30:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The $5500 was for me personally for my bills and such.. not store related and to be used on store stuffs..  hence the

I am giving it 120 days.. and see what happens.. if nothing.. then I pull the license and go back home to PA/NJ.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry if I missed it, but who is RP?   Does that stand for "Rich Papa".    I don't understand why he keeps giving you so much money.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 7:40:45 AM EDT
[#18]
There has to be more to this story or this whole thing is an elaborate troll thread.

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 8:29:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The reason there are so many of these ----> in this thread is that it is almost inconceivable that someone would expect to earn a living with so little money invested in inventory and choose one of the worst places in America to open a retail gun store.......and have sat on their ass for four months wondering why customers aren't breaking down the door.

Since you started this thread have you REALLY discussed the business with your "RP"?
Since you started this thread have you investigated OTHER items you could sell in your store?
Since you started this thread have you listed guns for sale on Gunbroker or other online auctions?

Several months back you were asked "where in Texas?"..........you refused to answer. If you had been a bit more forthcoming you might have been spared this clusterfuck.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Listen.

Popcorn for breakfast!
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 8:35:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
There has to be more to this story or this this whole thing is an elaborate troll thread.

View Quote

Seems plausible to me. Most of the "I want to start a gun shop" threads we see here don't exhibit much more planning than this enterprise.

I talked to a guy at the range the other day who was insistent that he was going to beat the big mail order firms at their game by sourcing all the individual bits and pieces of lower parts kits himself rather than buying them in packages. He figured he could launch his new career as an AR15 parts tycoon by selling the kits he assembled on a $15 a month GoDaddy website. He said he would start with the kits and then expand to other products as his business grew. I shit you not.

BTW, when I wished him luck but suggested he write a business plan he just gave me a glassy look and mumbled something about knowing it wouldn't be easy . . . Seriously, writing a business plan is the best advice I can offer any prospective entrepreneur. It's a great thinking exercise. By the time you work through all the angles, you have a pretty good idea whether you're deceiving yourself. Also, it quickly separates the wheat from the chaff. Anybody who isn't willing to do the homework isn't likely to do the work of building a business either. They're just talking shit. Writing a business plan is the first sign a guy is really serious.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 12:38:07 PM EDT
[#21]
From reading this thread, it appears the OP moved to TX to a town with nearly no residents and decided to open a gun store, expecting to have a profitable business.  Am I reading this right?  

If so, try moving to a larger town or huge suburban area near a big city.  Start attending some gun shows, too.  Get on Gunbroker and sell. Take trades at shows, in your store, and online.  You need some volume, OP.  Either that, or you need to fold now.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 12:41:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
From reading this thread, it appears the OP moved to TX to a town with nearly no residents and decided to open a gun store, expecting to have a profitable business.  Am I reading this right?  

If so, try moving to a larger town or huge suburban area near a big city. Start attending some gun shows, too.  Get on Gunbroker and sell. Take trades at shows, in your store, and online.  You need some volume, OP.  Either that, or you need to fold now.
View Quote

This is good advice. Sell enough at gunshows or on gunbroker and it doesn't really matter where  your base of operation is. We have a dealer about 40 miles from me, located down a back highway in the middle of nowhere, who is all over gunbroker. He sells a metric shit ton of guns but has almost no walk in traffic. In fact, during the post Sandy Hook madness he locked his doors and wouldn't allow walk in traffic because he was so busy selling guns online.

Going the Gunbroker route you basically become a shipping department but it could pay the bills.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 4:16:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I am considering buying a trailer and hitting the road for some shows myself.  It seems like a good place to pick up some used stuff to flip on GB.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 5:32:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This is good advice. Sell enough at gunshows or on gunbroker and it doesn't really matter where  your base of operation is. We have a dealer about 40 miles from me, located down a back highway in the middle of nowhere, who is all over gunbroker. He sells a metric shit ton of guns but has almost no walk in traffic. In fact, during the post Sandy Hook madness he locked his doors and wouldn't allow walk in traffic because he was so busy selling guns online.

Going the Gunbroker route you basically become a shipping department but it could pay the bills.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If so, try moving to a larger town or huge suburban area near a big city. Start attending some gun shows, too.  Get on Gunbroker and sell. Take trades at shows, in your store, and online.  You need some volume, OP.  Either that, or you need to fold now.

Sorry, but advising the OP to start selling at gunshows is TERRIBLE advice.
Do either of you have any idea where Marfa, Texas is? It's THREE hours to El Paso, Six hours to San Antonio.

Gas+hotel+meals will just be another expense with only the possibility of a sale. While those are urban areas, the OP doesn't have enough inventory to fill one 8ft table (cost $65-80)

It is doubtful that his profit on sales would cover his expenses for the weekend.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 5:51:58 PM EDT
[#25]
I think the best solution is to open another business (that's profitable) and have the FFL as an additional service, not as the main money maker.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 6:00:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Do either of you have any idea where Marfa, Texas is? It's THREE hours to El Paso, Six hours to San Antonio.

Gas+hotel+meals will just be another expense with only the possibility of a sale. While those are urban areas, the OP doesn't have enough inventory to fill one 8ft table (cost $65-80)

It is doubtful that his profit on sales would cover his expenses for the weekend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm . . . I figured all those men dragging the same shit from gun show to gun show were making a killing. After all, they keep showing up at every show month after month. They must be doing something right . . .
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 10:29:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no idea about Marfas location.  But what if he drives a prius and sleeps in it and eats ramen???!!??!1
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 10:49:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I have no idea about Marfas location.  But what if he drives a prius and sleeps in it and eats ramen???!!??!1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 11:15:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why the ?  OP's inventory is small enough to be hauled in a Prius.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 11:26:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 11:40:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I am considering buying a trailer and hitting the road for some shows myself.  It seems like a good place to pick up some used stuff to flip on GB.
View Quote

Wow.  No.  That does NOT sound like a good idea At All.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 12:07:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I think the best solution is to open another business (that's profitable) and have the FFL as an additional service, not as the main money maker.
View Quote

Yep.  There are only two gunshops with in about 50 minutes of my house.  One is a day job/help my hobby have some place to hang out kind of place that is mostly transfers.  The other is in the Ace hardware.  Two different models but both successful.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 8:00:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Late to the party, but let's try to salvage this thread. The man is already there and open let's offer some real ideas. Preaching about the things not done is water under the bridge.

OP, what few customers you have, listen to their wants. This will tell you what you need in stock. If asking for AR's and AK's stock them.

Business cards is cheap advertising. Get nice one [even for a small town] be generous when handing out. They do you no good in the box.

It takes X amount of dollars in inventory to make X amount of money. Your partner needs to understand this.

About 5 years to really turn the corner, knowing what your customer base wants/needs. That means lean times for a long run. No such thing as an overnight success.

The guys telling you online sales through GunBroker and the like is right. It will make up for less traffic through the door. Also will clear out items in inventory that don't sell in your neck of the woods.

Sometimes when you start out you want to go in one direction, customers lead you in another. Lots of very profitable LGS's will tell you this.

Link Posted: 7/13/2014 8:16:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?  I know several dealers that go to shows every year, and they do fine.  Are you just being overly dramatic?
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 8:19:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's called sarcasm, man.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 8:41:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Really?  I know several dealers that go to shows every year, and they do fine.  Are you just being overly dramatic?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The sarcasm is being laid on in thick layers in this thread I think.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 10:13:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, perhaps.  Well, I hope everyone is having a great day!  Seize the day, and make every second count.  You never know when your ticket will be punched.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:08:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Well, has business picked up for ya yet?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:13:48 PM EDT
[#39]
People here over-spent a lot of their funds in the last year after Sandy Hook, SAFE act, etc
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:51:02 PM EDT
[#40]
the panic is over for now until the next potential ban
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 4:36:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Having no FFL experience, it sounds like you need to put that $5,500 into two PSA ARs (carbine and middy?) and a PAP ak47
That is, of course, if you choose not to fold (right answer)

RP = rich parent?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:46:24 PM EDT
[#42]
OP still around?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:12:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Having no FFL experience, it sounds like you need to put that $5,500 into two PSA ARs (carbine and middy?) and a PAP ak47    
View Quote

Where are you having to pay that much for those three guns?

Heck, two days ago Bud's "Make an Offer" price on new Colt AR's was $755 shipped.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:03:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Heck, two days ago Bud's "Make an Offer" price on new Colt AR's was $755 shipped.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$500 a pop on the ARs and I thought i saw the PAP for $480. You misinterpreted my statement as implying the OP spend all his personal bills money on those 3 rifles

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:19:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

$500 a pop on the ARs and I thought i saw the PAP for $480. You misinterpreted my statement as implying the OP spend all his personal bills money on those 3 rifles

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I didn't misinterpret anything..........I question why you would spend $5,500 on three rifles.
Now your math is at  $1,480...........
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:41:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
OP still around?
View Quote

I think he's traveling the east coast selling AR's and AK's at gunshows.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:28:22 PM EDT
[#47]
lol
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:01:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Actually on vacation back east. left the RP to run the shop for 2 weeks.

If it does not pickup by January I will close and reopen near a bigger town somewhere in PA.

I will then be closer to my son.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:32:10 PM EDT
[#49]
What do you charge for transfers?
Did you get listed on gunbroker?

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:04:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
rent and basic survival bills are not cheap..
View Quote

Take a guess....
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top