Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2014 6:24:48 PM EDT
I am looking to do a home based FFL. Looking at the application for question 9 is there anything they are specifically looking for or that should not be put there? I currently teach some firearms classes and I am wanting to expand into light gunsmithing and possibly down the road refinishing. I don't plan on stocking much to begin with but would do special orders and transfers.

Link Posted: 6/13/2014 10:08:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I put this in #9: FIREARMS SALES AND GUNSMITHING

#19 has to be: NO

Make sure local zoning will allow a commercial business.. and get it in writing from your county/town.. (it speeds things up)
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 10:56:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok.  Thank you. I spoke to county zoning today and I have to get a home occupation permit to be kosher. They even said I can have a small sign and one vehicle for business use. I already have the county form to register my Dba and the state form for wholesale.and retail tax number.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 11:43:41 PM EDT
[#3]

They seem to be using the zoning issue to slow down applications. They made me have someone from zoning write that it is okay for "X" person to be a "firearms dealer" (even though I am just gunsmithing) from "X" address.

The ATF agent even told me that they are going through not just new apps, but current FFL holders to make sure zoning board is okay with "firearms dealer" on the property. She even told me that people who just used to get a business license or occupational license to get the FFL will not work anymore and they would be back tracking the current FFL's with new application.

It was a pain in the ass dealing with them, but most likely if your map hits R-1 thru R-whatever most zoning boards are going to say "living only".

Link Posted: 6/24/2014 8:03:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Well I was talking to a friend of mine who owns a good size real estate business here in town and we were discussing my plans. Well he offered to lease me a private office in his real estate office for free so I can get started. I currently use his office training room to do the classroom part of my concealed carry classes. The office is next door to the class and he said it has its own address and mailbox. So i guess my question would be is this a better route to go than doing it from home? My friend has been very supportive of my classes and is a huge 2 supporter. He would also help spread the word about my venture thru the local real estate offices.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 11:19:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well I was talking to a friend of mine who owns a good size real estate business here in town and we were discussing my plans. Well he offered to lease me a private office in his real estate office for free so I can get started. I currently use his office training room to do the classroom part of my concealed carry classes. The office is next door to the class and he said it has its own address and mailbox. So i guess my question would be is this a better route to go than doing it from home? My friend has been very supportive of my classes and is a huge 2 supporter. He would also help spread the word about my venture thru the local real estate offices.
View Quote

If he's willing to do it, and you're willing to do it, it sounds like a decent way to start.

Know that if/when you move to new digs, you don't just do a change of address, you have to get another license entirely for the new location.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 6:29:41 PM EDT
[#6]
My county has nothing in the form of zoning or regulations. The ATF guy just asked if it was required and I said no. For line 9 I put sale and transfer of firearms.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 6:57:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If he's willing to do it, and you're willing to do it, it sounds like a decent way to start.

Know that if/when you move to new digs, you don't just do a change of address, you have to get another license entirely for the new location.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true at all.
You keep the same FFL number.
To change address you simply fill out an "Application for an Amended Federal Firearms License" form Form 5300.38 http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-5300-38.pdf

You have to file the form at least thirty days prior to your move.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 1:51:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My county has nothing in the form of zoning or regulations. The ATF guy just asked if it was required and I said no. For line 9 I put sale and transfer of firearms.
View Quote

My agent tried to nail me on home owners association, which I dont have.  

They dont like home based dealers.  They know that either zoning or home owners associations will blow you out of the water.  

Luckily I was good to go on both,  which pissed the stupid bitch off.  So she tried to lie to me and tell me that the zoning guy said I wasnt zoned for commercial (which is true, but my town is cool with running a business out of your house) and I wouldnt be approved for my license since I couldnt get my city business license.  She didnt know I had already talked to him and he told me I was fine.  She was really pissed when I picked up my city business license.  She knew I caught her in a lie.  Because zoning wouldnt have approved the license if what she said was true.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 11:54:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They dont like home based dealers.....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They dont like home based dealers.....

Bullshit.
"They" (meaning the individual IOI) don't get to invent regs as they see fit.
"Like" has nothing to do with whether or not you are issued an FFL.
There are far more "home based" dealers than those with brick & mortar storefronts.

As long as you meet the requirements you will be issued an FFL.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 5:35:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Still working on my app and I have 2 additional questions. When it asks if you have a hunting permit and then states if you don't you probably won't qualify for an ffl. What is that about? Also when they ask if you have worked for an ffl before I asked  a local ffl and he told me if you had you may not get approved for an ffl. Why would that be?

Should be getting my lease for the office today and I am going to get my state resale certificate and apply for an EIN. Friday I filed my DBA form with the county clerk.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 10:16:03 AM EDT
[#11]
**I am not a lawyer.. this is not to be deemed or used as legal advice.. just notes I found online.. **

The #23 question is for citizenship and residency status in regards to aliens..

#23 A,B,C is for non-US citizen stuff..

I skipped and went to #24.. but I am a US citizen..

You will also need Certification of Compliance Form ATF F5330.20 for each person whom will be an RP on the license.. (simple citizenship form)..

1 & 2 would be you.. You will see after #3 if you are US citizen.. you skip next section and sign #7..  
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 11:20:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
**I am not a lawyer.. this is not to be deemed or used as legal advice.. just notes I found online.. **

The #23 question is for citizenship and residency status in regards to aliens..

#23 A,B,C is for non-US citizen stuff..

I skipped and went to #24.. but I am a US citizen..

You will also need Certification of Compliance Form ATF F5330.20 for each person whom will be an RP on the license.. (simple citizenship form)..

1 & 2 would be you.. You will see after #3 if you are US citizen.. you skip next section and sign #7..  
View Quote

Interestingly enough, I never filled out that form. I received my FFL, nevertheless.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 1:50:24 PM EDT
[#13]
So it has been a little while just wanted to update.

I have my DBA registered.
Got my state sales and use tax permit.
Got my lease finally.
Got EIN.
Opened my Business account at my Bank.
Went to the town and showed them all of the paperwork got the list of fees required and the Ok for zoning.
2 Fingerprint forms done.
Pictures taken.
Delivered copy to my CLEO.
Mailing the forms to the ATF tomorrow.

I am setup with 4 companies already that also sell accessories as well as firearms so I just need to send them the FFL when it comes in.

I have a copy of everything in a nice report folder for the agent when they show up.

I think I have all of my stuff squared away so far and am looking forward to the interview.

I have a copy of
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:06:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Checked the bank this morning and they have charged my card the $200. How long does it normally take before they call?
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:10:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Checked the bank this morning and they have charged my card the $200. How long does it normally take before they call?
View Quote

It depends on the caseload of the Industry Operations Inspectors in your area. The app will stay in WV for a couple of weeks before they forward it to your local ATF IOI.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 2:20:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Post back with any feedback after the interview with the ATF.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:50:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Man this update has been a long time coming.

I got the call for my interview at the end of September.

Then my friend called me and said they were looking at relocating the office.
After several months they finalized staying where they were.

The IOI contacted me every other week for an update.

Did the interview today. She said I was the most organized person she has Interviewed. I had all of my permits and business paperwork in a folder for her.
I think it went very well. I already knew most of the info so it didn't take long to go over. I asked a few questions,and then we talked about some other stuff.

She said I will see my ffl in 2-4 weeks maybe sooner.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:46:44 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

When it asks if you have a hunting permit and then states if you don't you probably won't qualify for an ffl. What is that about?

View Quote

I was wondering the same thing.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 8:35:57 AM EDT
[#19]
She said that doesn't apply to US Citizens.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:23:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

She said that doesn't apply to US Citizens.
View Quote

Yeah, realized that once I actually read the entire application.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:55:28 PM EDT
[#21]
My ffl came in today.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:41:21 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

My ffl came in today.
View Quote

Congrats!

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:07:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:27:47 PM EDT
[#24]
I got setup with the FBI for background checks.

Question, where can I obtain gun locks at a reasonable cost in case I get a gun in to sell that doesn't have one?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:42:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I got setup with the FBI for background checks.

Question, where can I obtain gun locks at a reasonable cost in case I get a gun in to sell that doesn't have one?
View Quote

Dollar store
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top