Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2014 1:13:55 AM EDT
So I'm interested in possibly getting my FFL but several things have me confused and what not. I'm not trying to get into any type of pissing match with anybody so if you don't have anything helpful to say then please don't say it at all.

So I'm doing this from my home, I'll be doing transfers for anybody that needs anything done through an FFL and maybe doing a gun or two for myself. With this in mind I'm curious about my drivers license. My drivers license list my parents address which is considered my second home as I do sleep there a few days of the week, but my house is different than what's on my license because I keep my parents address(which is still my 2nd home as stated above). So will this be an issue regarding me acquiring my FFL? I'd be doing transfers from Address #1, while my drivers license has Address #2, or will I have to change it to Address #1?

Now my next question is about zoning, which if for some reason Address #1 has zoning issues or whatever, I can use Address #2 as my place to do transfers, but I would still store the guns at Address #1 in my gun safe. What questions do I need to ask the zoning people? The reason I want to know this is because at my parents, they don't have a safe and I do at my main house.

My next question is regarding the Sole Proprietor vs LLC or whatever. Which is the easiest way without hassle? I'm going to use my FFL to get wholesale ammo and possibly firearms if a person is willing to order and pay up front. I don't plan on doing Class 3 or SOT(whatever that is).

Last but not least, do I have to get a business permit if I'm wanting to acquire an FFL, because that's something I'd rather not have to deal with.

Thanks for any and all help, it's greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:24:16 AM EDT
[#1]
The address on your driver's license is irrelevant to obtaining an FFL.

A gun safe is not required, but recommended.  Some home-based FFLs will get a separate safe for FFL purposes.

In regards to zoning, you will need to contact the community development department that has jurisdiction over each address.  This department may also handle the city/town/county business permit/license.  If you wish to operate the FFL out of your parent's home, you will need their permission in writing.  

You will also want to register with the state for a use and resale tax exemption certificate.

The easiest business entity to establish will probably be a sole proprietorship.  If you wish to conduct business under a fictitious name or dba (doing business as), your county may require you to register and publish in a local newspaper for a duration of time.

A sole proprietor, will of course, assume all liabilities.  You can set up an LLC or any other corporation and it will be considered a separate entity.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:37:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Your driver's license doesn't matter. When you apply for an FFL you'll state a premises address. That's where you do business (plus gun shows if you choose). You don't have to live at your premise address. BTW, if you tell them that your house is your premises address, you won't be allowed to do transfers at your parent's house. You can't be a traveling gun shop (with the exception of gun shows). It is possible to have off-site storage of guns, but actual transfers have to take place at your premises address.

My question is why not get a new driver's license? It will cost almost nothing and then your papers will be in order.

Sole Proprietor should work fine. Yes, you need a business license and a sales tax number. BATFE aside, many of the wholesale gun sellers want to see a business license/tax certificate before they will set up your account.

BTW, you get an FFL to run a business. You don't get an FFL so that you can buy guns "cheap." Also, you won't find good deals on ammo just by being an FFL. And what little savings you get on new guns simply isn't worth the hassle.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:13:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
snip....

BTW, you get an FFL to run a business. You don't get an FFL so that you can buy guns "cheap." Also, you won't find good deals on ammo just by being an FFL. And what little savings you get on new guns simply isn't worth the hassle.
View Quote

Just wanted to reiterate the above info, because it is 100% accurate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top