Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2014 7:52:07 AM EDT
You want to run a private gun boutique. How do you keep it exclusive? Oh yes, I used gun and boutique in the same sentence.

My logic - It appears that FFL addresses and names are public information. I want to open a ity bity shop and don't want everyone in town stopping by and calling. Can I draw a thin veil by naming it a vague corporate name that doesn't draw attention, then have a D.B.A or subsidiary in which I share with whom I choose? Googling FFL Lookup brings up many listings of local FFLs. If I can't stay off of those, I'd like to show up as 'Corporate Don't Call Me' instead of 'Guns-r-us".

Longer story - I'll follow up with the ATF, but it'll be a long weekend if I can't put this to rest .

When filing for an FFL01 (and assuming both entities are registered at the same address) on the application could you put the name of the parent company and market the business as the subsidiary or DBA? ATF Proc 75-3 touches on drop shipping and that the middleman shouldn't note the transaction, but they don't confirm that that party does or does not need a license. I've thumbed through the reference guide and online FAQ and mainly see comments about a license for each address listed, not specifying the name or how far reaching the license goes.

Link Posted: 3/29/2014 10:00:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
You want to run a private gun boutique. How do you keep it exclusive?
You don't advertise, tell walk ups to go home and have prices higher than Cheaper Than Dirt in an election year.

Can I draw a thin veil by naming it a vague corporate name that doesn't draw attention, then have a D.B.A or subsidiary in which I share with whom I choose?
ATF doesn't give a rat's ass what your name is. Your FFL can be listed as "Bob's Plumbing and Fecal Storage". Since there is no requirement to have signage it doesn't matter what you put on it.

I receive guns every week from FFL's that don't have gun, tactical, weapons or firearm in their name.

Googling FFL Lookup brings up many listings of local FFLs. If I can't stay off of those, I'd like to show up as 'Corporate Don't Call Me' instead of 'Guns-r-us".
ATF is required to publish the list of FFL's as public information. FFL "lookups" simply download that list. There is no way for you to avoid your premises address being listed.

When filing for an FFL01 (and assuming both entities are registered at the same address) on the application could you put the name of the parent company and market the business as the subsidiary or DBA?
Both entities will be shown on the license if you list them on the application.

ATF Proc 75-3 touches on drop shipping and that the middleman shouldn't note the transaction, but they don't confirm that that party does or does not need a license. I've thumbed through the reference guide and online FAQ and mainly see comments about a license for each address listed, not specifying the name or how far reaching the license goes.

Being a "middleman" requires an FFL:

March 2013 FFL NEWSLETTER Volume 2
Page 6
Brokering of Firearms/Drop Shipments
Individuals who engage in the business of brokering firearms by buying firearms from a manufacturer, selling those firearms to a licensed third person, and then arranging with the manufacturer to have the firearms dropped shipped to the purchaser, are required to obtain a Federal firearms license.
ATF has experienced difficulty in tracing firearms in instances where drop shipments have been made to third parties, and where the recordkeeping procedures employed by the three licensed parties do not lend themselves to easy and fast tracing of firearms. ATF is providing recordkeeping procedures for “drop shipments” as set forth below:
Licensee “A” orders firearms from licensee “B.”•
Licensee “B” transmits the order to licensee “C” for • direct shipment (drop shipment) to licensee “A.”
Licensee “A” must provide licensee “C” a certified • copy of its Federal firearms license prior to the shipment of the order.
Licensee “C” shall enter the disposition of the • firearms into his or her acquisition and disposition (A&D) record to licensee “A.”
Licensee “A” shall enter the acquisition of the firearms • into his or her A&D record from licensee “C.”
Licensee “B” makes • NO entries into his or her A&D record because he or she does not take physical possession of the firearms.

See ATF Procedure 75–3 for further information on the drop shipment of firearms.
If you would like a determination whether your business activity may require a Federal firearms license, you may contact your local ATF office (www.atf.gov/field) or the Firearms Industry Programs Branch at [email protected].  
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/29/2014 10:20:54 AM EDT
[#2]
DogTown,

Thank you very much for the response and updated info. I was going off of the 2005 Reference guide.

I guess the million dollar question would be are both entities required to be listed on the license, or could a child operate under the parent? It would give me peace of mind to be listed as Bob's Plumbing and Fecal Storage but be able to operate as Billy's Epic Guns when I want. Can I not have the best of both worlds?

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
When filing for an FFL01 (and assuming both entities are registered at the same address) on the application could you put the name of the parent company and market the business as the subsidiary or DBA?
Both entities will be shown on the license if you list them on the application.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/29/2014 12:04:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
DogTown,

Thank you very much for the response and updated info. I was going off of the 2005 Reference guide.

I guess the million dollar question would be are both entities required to be listed on the license, or could a child operate under the parent? It would give me peace of mind to be listed as Bob's Plumbing and Fecal Storage but be able to operate as Billy's Epic Guns when I want. Can I not have the best of both worlds?

View Quote

The license is issued to the licensee.
My license lists both name of licensee and my DBA.

ATF isn't about to assist you in hiding the true name of the licensee.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 12:27:58 PM EDT
[#4]
When you put it that way, it's a bit of a no brainer. Duh!

I guess the only way to safeguard against unwanted attention is to take the appropriate precautions (video surveillance, lots of locks, and good gun safes). I just feel uneasy knowing the ATF publishes all of the FFL addresses. Sure seems like a prime list for thieves - I was hoping this would have been a way to get scratched off their list

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
DogTown,

Link Posted: 3/29/2014 4:41:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I am aking here:
Does the ATF publish both premis and mailing addresses?  Seems to me when I did my interview the agent asked me if I wanted to get a PO box for a mailing address since it would be on the list.  She did not specifically state that the premise address was not given out, why I ask.

As far as name of the business, incorporate (LLC or S-Corp) then your personal name does not get listed, just the corporation.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 5:13:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am aking here:
Does the ATF publish both premis and mailing addresses?  Seems to me when I did my interview the agent asked me if I wanted to get a PO box for a mailing address since it would be on the list.  She did not specifically state that the premise address was not given out, why I ask.

As far as name of the business, incorporate (LLC or S-Corp) then your personal name does not get listed, just the corporation.
View Quote

Yes, they list both premises and mailing address. Phone as well. You can download a list from their website:

List of FFLs

Link Posted: 3/30/2014 4:13:44 PM EDT
[#7]
When I get my new FFL I'll be Memories and More, LLC      
You mention boutique, LOL, how about The Hairtique!! That's where I was located for many years hehehehe. You could come in and get a gun and a perm!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top