Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2010 6:07:56 PM EDT
My son is machining an AR-15 lower receiver out of billet alluminum. I've spent over an hour trying to research the legal aspects on this and I have not found an answer to my question of what is actually needed to legally make one. Is permission from the ATF needed before manufacturing begins? How much manufacturing tax is there? I've seen the BATF FAQ and there is no specifics on this.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:10:45 PM EDT
[#1]
It is legal to manufacture your own semi-automatic firearms, for your own personal use.  No serial number is required.

It is illegal to manufacture firearms for the purpose of selling them.

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 7:08:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It is legal to make your own semi-automatic firearms, for your own personal use.  No serial number is required.

It is illegal to manufacture firearms for the purpose of selling them.

usually the term manufacture refers to making for nonpersonal use. the term make would be a better one to use here.

that is how most documents will use the terms.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top