Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/23/2010 7:29:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PK90]
IMO, here are a few of misconceptions that people have about transfers of firearms:
1. A seller needs to have a copy of an FFL's license prior to shipping their firearm.

- WRONG. There is no requirement that a non-licensee needs to have a copy of
the dealer's license prior to shipping. Only the disposing dealer needs
to see a certified copy. PAGE 2
2. The dealer needs to keep a copy or record of the other dealer's FFL.

- WRONG. They just needs to verify it is valid prior to sending the firearm to them. The copies may be disposed of.
3. The sending dealer must provide a copy of their license along with the shipment.

- WRONG. This is only done as a courtesy. It is not required.
4. The firearm can only be sent to the licensed premises.

- WRONG. The firearm can be sent to whatever address the dealer wishes. It does not have to be even listed on the license. Page 8
5. A dealer must store firearms at the place of business.

- WRONG. They may store at any location. They may only dispose at the licensed premises or gun shows. Page 8
6. A "straw purchase" only applies if the other receiving party is not allowed to possess firearms.

- WRONG. A buyer can not buy a firearm for someone else even if that other person is not a "prohibited person". This is still a "straw purchase".
Feel free to correct me and add others.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 8:46:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bubbles] [#1]
Originally Posted By PK90:
1. A seller needs to have a copy of an FFL's license prior to shipping their firearm.
- WRONG. There is no requirement that a non-licensee needs to have a copy of the dealer's license prior to shipping. Only the disposing dealer needs to see a certified copy.

This one is being spread by GunBroker and has caused some headaches.  We don't give copies of the license to non-FFL's.
http://www.gunbroker.com/User/HowToBuy.aspx#iWon - see last paragraph.
http://www.gunbroker.com/User/HowToSell.aspx#iSold - see third paragraph.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 10:37:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice - thanks
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 10:43:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I am not shipping shit unless I can verify the recipient is an FFL.

That means a copy of an FFL. Sure, I am not legally required to have a copy of the FFL, but I can not legally ship it across state lines to someone that is not an FFL.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 10:53:30 AM EDT
[#4]
- WRONG. The firearm can be sent to whatever address the dealer wishes. It does not have to be even listed on the license.

How do you know the address is legit if it is not on the FFL?
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 11:24:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
- WRONG. The firearm can be sent to whatever address the dealer wishes. It does not have to be even listed on the license.

How do you know the address is legit if it is not on the FFL?

You don't and I'd never ship to anyplace that is not listed as the FFL address.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 11:55:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By NAM:

That means a copy of an FFL. Sure, I am not legally required to have a copy of the FFL, but I can not legally ship it across state lines to someone that is not an FFL.

Fortunately there is FFL EZ Check for non-licensees.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 12:03:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Bubbles:

I've used it before. Well aware of it. Does not work for C&R, so a copy is always needed there.

Odds are, if the FFL is going to give you their FFL number, it's much easier to just send a copy.
Link Posted: 7/24/2010 10:20:27 AM EDT
[#8]

I'd like more information about this, I've always known it was true but I've never tried it because of the possible hassle with the other FFL. I work my regular job during the day and most of the firearms I receive require signatures. This makes it difficult to receive packages at times and I've often had to drive to the UPS of fedex hub to pick them up after missed deliveries. My parents are retired and are home pretty much 24/7. I want to have my packages shipped to my parents address, I'll pick them up and then perform my transfers as usual from my premise address. Should I list my parents address as the mailing address on my FFL?
Link Posted: 7/24/2010 10:36:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/24/2010 2:15:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#10]
Originally Posted By andre3k:

I'd like more information about this, I've always known it was true but I've never tried it because of the possible hassle with the other FFL. I work my regular job during the day and most of the firearms I receive require signatures. This makes it difficult to receive packages at times and I've often had to drive to the UPS of fedex hub to pick them up after missed deliveries. My parents are retired and are home pretty much 24/7. I want to have my packages shipped to my parents address, I'll pick them up and then perform my transfers as usual from my premise address. Should I list my parents address as the mailing address on my FFL?

I use the local UPS Store to receive my firearm shipments. I have their address listed as the "mailing address" on my license. They are happy to receive shipments from USPS, UPS and FedEx. They even email me when a shipment arrives.

Anytime I do a transfer I send the seller a copy of my license via email with explicit instructions (I mention it seven times) to ship only to the mailing address listed on my FFL. I also added "SHIP ONLY TO MAILING ADDRESS LISTED BELOW" on my FFL in red ink.

Guess what? About twice a month someone will ignore those seven warnings and try to have USPS, UPS or FedEx deliver to my home (my licensed premises). USPS is no big deal, I just pick it up the next day at the post office two miles away. FedEx has a Customer Service Center five miles away, so I can have them hold it. UPS however is 45 miles away, so I have to contact the seller and have him redirect the package. Usually they blame their computer, their son, a clerk, the part time drunk in shipping, etc. Once an FFL claimed he had called the ATF and they said it was illegal. I made him give me the name and phone number of that IOI. Turned out Mr. Sullivan wasn't exactly truthful in his conversation with the ATF After I explained I had a different mailing address on my FFL, all was good with ATF and they called the FFL to set him straight. The FFL said "too late, I already shipped it...." Well, it went unsigned and UPS returned it back at his expense. Cost him another $30 to follow instructions. Being ignorant and a jerk will continue to be expensive for him I'm sure.

Link Posted: 7/25/2010 4:45:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks, that cleared up a lot of questions for me.
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 1:37:30 PM EDT
[#12]

I've used it before. Well aware of it. Does not work for C&R, so a copy is always needed there.

Odds are, if the FFL is going to give you their FFL number, it's much easier to just send a copy.

True, but all you have to do is call the toll-free eZCheck number to verify a Type 03 C&R FFL.  I've done it three times and no call ever took over 2 minutes.

Link Posted: 7/25/2010 3:10:51 PM EDT
[#13]
IMO, here are a few of misconceptions that people have about transfers of firearms:

- WRONG. The firearm can be sent to whatever address the dealer wishes. It does not have to be even listed on the license. Page 8

I just had a detailed conversation yesterday with another FFL on this.  In the end they said they don't care and they would only be sending the gun to my "premise" address.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 4:53:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By TXGUNNER308:

I just had a detailed conversation yesterday with another FFL on this.  In the end they said they don't care and they would only be sending the gun to my "premise" address.  

Stubborness at best, asswipes at worst. Did you tell them no one would be able to sign for it at your  premises?

The few that insisted on shipping only to my premises changed their tune when they find out the package will get returned and they still have to pay UPS.

Link Posted: 7/25/2010 8:42:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

Stubborness at best, asswipes at worst. Did you tell them no one would be able to sign for it at your  premises?

The few that insisted on shipping only to my premises changed their tune when they find out the package will get returned and they still have to pay UPS.

I have different Premises and mailing addresses on my license.  For me I could dare less which they send it to but for others you might update your records with the ATF to reflect a mailing address that you can accept packages at.

Ty-

Link Posted: 7/25/2010 9:10:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#16]
Originally Posted By tyromeo55:

I have different Premises and mailing addresses on my license.  For me I could dare less which they send it to but for others you might update your records with the ATF to reflect a mailing address that you can accept packages at.

Ty-

As previously posted above, BOTH my premises address and mailing address are lited on my license.

Link Posted: 7/25/2010 11:43:31 PM EDT
[#17]

So if you return a gun to glock etc do you think they are going to send you a copy of an ffl.  We will provide numbers for the EZ check but will not provide a copy to any one that does not hold an FFL themselves.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 11:35:47 AM EDT
[#18]
"2. The dealer needs to keep a copy or record of the other dealer's FFL.
- WRONG. They just needs to verify it is valid prior to sending the firearm to them. The copies may be disposed of."

I'm still a little green, but I remember my IOI telling me to keep their FFL copy on file when I dispose a firearm....I have been looking for this law after reading your post, can't find it, but still nervous about not keeping it.

Does it say somewhere that it is NOT necessary?

Just asking, not trying to be a pain, just asking.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 11:41:38 AM EDT
[#19]
6. A "straw purchase" only applies if the other receiving party is not allowed to possess firearms.
- WRONG. A buyer can not buy a firearm for someone else even if that other person is not a "prohibited person". This is still a "straw purchase".

Then what is it when you buy the firearm or a stripped lower as a gift for someone else?
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 11:44:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By EKUJustice:
So if you return a gun to glock etc do you think they are going to send you a copy of an ffl.  We will provide numbers for the EZ check but will not provide a copy to any one that does not hold an FFL themselves.

Glock is the manufacturer, and no FFL is required for an owner to return a firearm to the manufacturer. The manufacturer can also ship the firearm directly back to the owner with no FFL required.

So no.... I would not want a copy of Glock's FFL.

Bottom line, with the ATF being the ATF, dont' be suprised when people want to play it safe. And don't be suprised when they refuse to deal with you when you cop an attitude.  (and that's for both sides of the house).

Some people are truly ignorant of the law, and fear the ATF. If their inspector told them that "lowers are only for replacement", don't be suprised if they obey the agent's orders. Others know the law, and do not fear the ATF.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 12:26:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By combat45acp:
"2. The dealer needs to keep a copy or record of the other dealer's FFL.
- WRONG. They just needs to verify it is valid prior to sending the firearm to them. The copies may be disposed of."

I'm still a little green, but I remember my IOI telling me to keep their FFL copy on file when I dispose a firearm....I have been looking for this law after reading your post, can't find it, but still nervous about not keeping it.

Does it say somewhere that it is NOT necessary?

Just asking, not trying to be a pain, just asking.

We keep them anyway, not on paper though, we scan them into the system and store them as attachments in our bound book (electronic).   Should we ever need to see it  we can print it.

Link Posted: 7/26/2010 12:54:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By grywlf52:

Then what is it when you buy the firearm or a stripped lower as a gift for someone else?

You are still the purchaser, so there's no issue.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 12:57:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks Bubbles.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 6:46:20 PM EDT
[#24]
We only give the numbers needed for the FFL to be verified via the EZ check.  If they demand a license, im sorry but we can not accept the transfer.  We are about to go to dealer only like the other places in the area since we have had more problems with individuals than anyone else.  We require a DL copy so we know where they firearm is coming from.  We have had one come in marked as John Doe, with a totally bogas address.  Took numerous calls to get valid information from the guy.  Just becomes a pain to deal with alot of times.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 6:49:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I gotta say i have had more trouble with dealers then individuals, sending guns with a receipt and nothing more.... our license has very specific instructions on it as to what we need and individuals tend to follow it.

Link Posted: 7/26/2010 8:30:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By docpadds:
I gotta say i have had more trouble with dealers then individuals, sending guns with a receipt and nothing more.... our license has very specific instructions on it as to what we need and individuals tend to follow it.

+1,000

Link Posted: 7/27/2010 9:14:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SoundStorm] [#27]
My FFL states in bold letters "Please enclose copy of FFL or Drivers License or I will not transfer firearm" and it hasn't been an issue except for one instance, that is my ONLY request.  

If they want to just throw a gun in a box and address it to me that's fine, when I get a copy of senders FFL or DL I'll transfer it.  I'm not going to be sitting there with an ATF inspector trying to figure out where this gun came from.  Hard copy in-hand solves all problems.
Link Posted: 7/31/2010 8:05:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EKUJustice] [#28]
While most individuals are fine, we have just had many more problems with individuals than dealers.  We have had one dealer problem from a pretty large dealer where we basically have to store a gun for 18 months
Link Posted: 8/5/2010 8:25:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -JC-] [#29]
Based on three different threads in as many days...

Statement: "A non-FFL can transfer a long gun directly to a resident of an adjacent state."

Answer: Nope, you need an FFL.

Link Posted: 1/12/2011 7:29:50 PM EDT
[#30]
What is the big secret to be kept on your FFL?

The first time I did a transfer the guy gave me a copy of his FFL and said order all the guns you want, I charge 20.00 dollars a transfer just call me to give me a heads up.
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 7:37:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 8:00:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: flatop_a3] [#32]
If you are doing a FTF why would you need a FFL to begin with, or am I not understanding you correctly? The dealer that gave me his license  explained to me that what I buy will only go to the address listed on his FFL. I guess I could modify the paperwork so that it had my home address but that would be on me when I got caught.
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 8:19:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 8:41:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Perhaps.

I am going to assume that giving out copies of your FFL is legal. So I pretend to be a employee and I buy a rifle and then shoot someone. ATF does traces and and everything is on the up and up until he calls the guy listed on the FFL I used to buy the rifle I shot someone with and he says I have never heard of him and I have no employees. Then what? Cause its not  illegal to give copy's of your FFL out and as far as the dealer that I bought the rifle from was concerned all the t's were crossed and i's were dotted. The worst that happens is a couple FFL's  get inconvenienced by the ATF and the FBI adds another person to the most wanted list.
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 11:10:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By flatop_a3:
Perhaps.

I am going to assume that giving out copies of your FFL is legal. So I pretend to be a employee and I buy a rifle and then shoot someone. ATF does traces and and everything is on the up and up until he calls the guy listed on the FFL I used to buy the rifle I shot someone with and he says I have never heard of him and I have no employees. Then what? Cause its not  illegal to give copy's of your FFL out and as far as the dealer that I bought the rifle from was concerned all the t's were crossed and i's were dotted. The worst that happens is a couple FFL's  get inconvenienced by the ATF and the FBI adds another person to the most wanted list.

Any dealer who transfers a firearm (in person) to another individual and does not verify the identity of that person is an idiot.
An FFL is NOT a form of identification and when used for an "in person" transaction the seller should also record the identity of the buyer.

Link Posted: 2/15/2011 3:45:29 AM EDT
[#36]
I require a copy of the senders FFL for my own records and never send a copy to anyone who isn't a verified FFL holder. I've yet to run into any dealers who have resistance to this.
Being in California the biggest challenge for my business is that we are required to get the sender to obtain a DOJ Approval Letter to send the firearm to us, without this we get in trouble by the DOJ.
A handful of dealers that I have dealt with have never had to go through this process but are usually surprised at how easy it is to get the approval.

I usually get grief from individuals (purchasers) who claim they are going to take the FFL copy to their buddy in town who is a FFL dealer but for some reason that person cannot
contact me themselves. No proof, no FFL copy is my policy. I also never advertise my FFL number as I have seen some dealers do at gun shows and on their business cards.

I also will not ship to addresses that are not listed on the FFL, no exceptions is my policy on this as well.

The way I look at it, its my FFL and I worked hard to get it and won't do anything that will cause me to lose it because someone else is too lazy to follow rules.
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 8:15:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By GetBulletsandBrass:
I also never advertise my FFL number as I have seen some dealers do at gun shows and on their business cards.

ATF Nationwide List of All FFL's... including the full FFL numbers...
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 9:30:35 AM EDT
[#38]
I also never advertise my FFL number as I have seen some dealers do at gun shows and on their business cards.

ATF Nationwide List of All FFL's... including the full FFL numbers...

But...but...but...my FFL is SECRET! OMG! OMG! OMG!
Now Billy Bob Felon will Photoshop my license and I'll go to jail.

Link Posted: 4/19/2011 8:14:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By grywlf52:

in my experience if you gift a firearm or a lower and you have no idea if the person can legally buy a firearm you are good to go. if you do it knowing the cant then you are in the wrong.  the key is you have to be able to tell yourself or some truthfully that you didn't know that a person wasn't legal to own a firearm.  like is said before, if you do it knowingly you are wrong.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:14:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Just curios, any one here giving advice, a manufacturer of NFA weapons, or an importer/exporter ? Or do any of you have Government/LE contracts ?
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 2:35:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Perhaps.

Any dealer who transfers a firearm (in person) to another individual and does not verify the identity of that person is an idiot.
An FFL is NOT a form of identification and when used for an "in person" transaction the seller should also record the identity of the buyer.

A BIG +1 to that!

Link Posted: 5/19/2011 6:37:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1911roben] [#42]

The way I look at it, its my FFL and I worked hard to get it and won't do anything that will cause me to lose it because someone else is too lazy to follow rules.

I'm not lazy and I don't break "rules."  In this case though, there is no such rule that I can find.   Could you please point to a source for this rule, sir?

I've read a lot about this issue, spoken with officials (BATFE) about it as well as with other dealers;  my conclusion is that there is ZERO liability to you, your family or your business by giving out a photocopy of your FFL.  

Any disposing dealer who would accept just a photocopy of an FFL as verification for a face to face (or mailed to other than the address on that FFL) transfer would be the one in trouble.... NOT you.    FFL dealers are supposed to be "in this together" to make sure their INVENTORY comes in and goes out in a controlled and VERIFIED manner.    A photocopy of your FFL is not part of that inventory.  

But hey, if there really is no actual rule –– but actually it's just your own made up business "policy" –– great!   I am not trying to start an argument with you, I just want this forum to be an accurate resource for FFL dealers like me.  

As a side note, eventually (soon) these damn antique fax machines will be a thing of the past as well, (we wouldn't need to spend $50 a month on a land line then either.)  The more "mature & experienced" dealers out there who refuse to scan a copy of their FFL and then keep it on their computer so they can simply and easily email it (only to other dealers if your personal policy demands it) are really slowing the business (and therefore the cash flow) down for the rest of us.   Honestly guys, we're just using the technology to try to make a living - it's not an attack on your "ways."

Link Posted: 6/5/2011 3:11:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Here is a question I have.  If I buy a used gun as an ffl, or repair a customers gun, and I want to make sure it functions properly before I sell it, am I allowed to take it to the range? I dont have a range at the premises.
Link Posted: 6/5/2011 5:00:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By SexyPenguin:
Here is a question I have.  If I buy a used gun as an ffl, or repair a customers gun, and I want to make sure it functions properly before I sell it, am I allowed to take it to the range? I dont have a range at the premises.

Yes.  We don't have an in-house range, so we test-fire our guns at a local range where we have a membership.
Link Posted: 6/5/2011 6:09:15 PM EDT
[#45]
That may have been a dumb question, but I have been reading through the atf faqs and such and never saw it addressed, thanks.
Link Posted: 7/8/2011 9:53:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Perhaps.

In the past I worked as a buyer for an FFL.  I had a notarized copy of his FFL and notarized letter from him authorizing me to acquire firearms.

The last paragraph on the letter said something like "If you have any problem with delivering the firearm to my buyer, please ship to the address on the license."   In those cases I would pay, often package the gun myself (high value side by sides) in the presences of the seller.  I would then take my purchase receipt and wait for the gun to arrive at the FFL premises.  

Care is justified, paranoia is not.
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 8:56:07 PM EDT
[#47]

Care is justified, paranoia is not.

Perfect insight there.

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:39:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rightwingnut] [#48]
Shoot,
I once got told at a UPS dist center that I couldn't ship a pistol to an out of state FFL unless I showed them a copy of the FFL!   Effing asshats!

How about this:
can a customer ship a firearm to a local FFL at one or anther address?  
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 9:40:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By rightwingnut:
Shoot,
I once got told at a UPS dist center that I couldn't ship a pistol to an out of state FFL unless I showed them a copy of the FFL!   Effing asshats!

How about this:

It doesn't matter if you are shipping to an FFL across the street or across the country.....the same ATF regs/Federal laws/ USPS regs/common carrier policies apply.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 2:48:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By rightwingnut:
Shoot,

How about this:

It doesn't matter if you are shipping to an FFL across the street or across the country.....the same ATF regs/Federal laws/ USPS regs/common carrier policies apply.

Federal regulations do not apply in intrastate shipments.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top