Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2017 11:11:20 PM EDT
Fell in love with bullpups, much to the chagrin of my wallet.   After a tavor and Ps90, this will probably be my last purchase in a long time.

I'd like one that takes AR mags, so that eliminates the 40th anniversary model, even though I'd love the old school optics without the rail. (if the anniversary model comes with AR mag compatibility as an option and I'm not aware, please scream so)

Are the optics on the 1.5 and 3x models replaceable?   I like the look, but I wonder if I eventually wouldn't want something more versatile like a 1-6x scope.

I saw rumors of a geiselle Trigger pack...    Anyone know of anything happening there?
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:41:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I was told that the NATO AUGs aren't quite as well regarded as the traditional ones, but I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:57:09 AM EDT
[#2]
To take ar mags you have to swap out to a NATO stock. So if you bought the aniversay edition and bought a nato stock (and it's trigger pack I'm not sure if they usually sell together) to swap between them would just be routine disassembly then dropping the bcg and receiver into the NATO stock. It's super easy that big black button in front of the ejection port is a sliding lock. You push it to the side (which would take lots of force on a crisp new right gun) then the receiver and bcg can slide out the front of the stock. Then put it in the other stock push it down and push the lock in to lock everything in place. I'm not in love with every feature of the AUG but hot damn is it a beautifully engineered piece .

There are limitations to the NATO stock. Right handed ejection only and no bolt release so you'd have to run the charging handle to disengage the bolt hold open on a empty mag.

As for your question on the optics. On the aug m3 a1s they are swappable with rails. The anniversary edition is a gussied up aug m3 a1 so it can swap too. Look at the picture of the white AUG next to the desert tan one from maleante in the desert tan aug stock thread. The desert tan one is a original a1 where that scope is permanent. The white one next to it is a current production one. You'll notice there is more meat on the top of its receiver and a roll pin by the front sling swivel. That extra meat is so that the optic or rail can be attached/detached and swapped out.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 2:08:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Two buddies each have one, got to shoot one.  Good ergos, fit me well, I like the bullpup concept.

Couldn't get past the horrible trigger.  Worse than my boys' Nerf guns.  

If Billy G makes a trigger for it, I might have to buy an Aug.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:00:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Two buddies each have one, got to shoot one.  Good ergos, fit me well, I like the bullpup concept.

Couldn't get past the horrible trigger.  Worse than my boys' Nerf guns.  

If Billy G makes a trigger for it, I might have to buy an Aug.
View Quote
Yeah that's pure laziness on most manufactures too. They could design good ones for the civilian market. AUGs bad trigger is a hold over from the military two stage full auto one where the first stage is semi then there is a heavy heavy stage after that for full auto. On the tavor I think they just said good enough for a conscript rifle since the aftermarket has made great triggers for those. Heck my gen1 tavor pack even has a spring that makes the pull heavier by design lol. There has also been good aftermarket packs for the aug to show it can be done but not many were made because Steyr wouldn't sell them the trigger pack bodies to mod if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:14:49 PM EDT
[#5]
As far as the trigger goes:  If you take the time to put a few hundred rounds downrange, the trigger becomes fairly passable. 
I personally do NOT want a light trigger on an AUG or a Tavor with the open trigger guard.

To the gun in general:
I am a solid AR guy.  I have NEVER liked bullpups...and still don't.  The being said: my AUG is one of the most favorite guns I have EVER owned.  I love that damn thing.

L O V E   I T !!!!!

Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:15:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I was in the same boat as you last year. I ended up getting the standard stock that takes the aug mags. I wouldn't mind picking up a NATO stock if I could get one cheap but I don't regret it at all. The mags are cheap and built tough as hell. I would get the one that uses Steyr mags. If you're in the SWPA area, I can meet up with you so you can check it out and shoot it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:18:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a NATO A3. I use a primary arms 3x ACSS scope and love it on this gun. Mine also has the 2020 trigger which is decent.

I personally recommend the NEU trigger upgrade which is about $38 and really helps the trigger.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:53:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I was in the same boat as you last year. I ended up getting the standard stock that takes the aug mags. I wouldn't mind picking up a NATO stock if I could get one cheap but I don't regret it at all. The mags are cheap and built tough as hell. I would get the one that uses Steyr mags. If you're in the SWPA area, I can meet up with you so you can check it out and shoot it.
View Quote
Actually, I am.  I shoot at PMSC pretty regularly, and would very much appreciate it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 6:41:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
As far as the trigger goes:  If you take the time to put a few hundred rounds downrange, the trigger becomes fairly passable. 
I personally do NOT want a light trigger on an AUG or a Tavor with the open trigger guard.

To the gun in general:
I am a solid AR guy.  I have NEVER liked bullpups...and still don't.  The being said: my AUG is one of the most favorite guns I have EVER owned.  I love that damn thing.

L O V E   I T !!!!!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/23042/COMPARE--1280x853--169190.jpg
View Quote
This ... I couldn't have said it better...
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 9:23:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Actually, I am.  I shoot at PMSC pretty regularly, and would very much appreciate it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IM sent
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 12:59:23 PM EDT
[#11]
The gun is fairly modifiable so do what you feel like.

One thing you can learn from me is that the customer service isn't top notch.

It took a lot out of me to get in touch with them and get them to help me out.

Quoted:
Fell in love with bullpups, much to the chagrin of my wallet.   After a tavor and Ps90, this will probably be my last purchase in a long time.

I'd like one that takes AR mags, so that eliminates the 40th anniversary model, even though I'd love the old school optics without the rail. (if the anniversary model comes with AR mag compatibility as an option and I'm not aware, please scream so)

Are the optics on the 1.5 and 3x models replaceable?   I like the look, but I wonder if I eventually wouldn't want something more versatile like a 1-6x scope.

I saw rumors of a geiselle Trigger pack...    Anyone know of anything happening there?
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 1:01:54 PM EDT
[#12]
By the way, Pete's shorter height, long rail is a GREAT addition to the AUG.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 2:42:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I love mine. I have an A3 and I opted to keep it traditional and went with the Steyr A3 1.5 optic. It's (scope and gun) built like a tank. Don't quote me, but Swarovski supposedly built the scopes for Steyr. I love the gun itself, functions flawlessly 100% of the time. The ONLY draw back IMO is rapid mag changes take some getting used to, or at least for me they did. It's an awesome well built gun that I'd have 100% confidence in in a SHTF situation. There times I think about a more "tacticool"optic but then I shit can the idea. Since I own both, I'd put its quality on par with HK

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 3:21:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Geissele said something bout it or someone else did and so far nothing really showing up. The optics can be switched out for the rails, just need an allen wrench and a t handle or something. Maybe some loctite.

Honestly, I went with using the original mags. Got 4 30s and 4 42s, and if it wasn't for college and my recent acquisition, I'd have a lot more mags for it!
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:15:39 AM EDT
[#15]
My biggest hang up with the AUG is light mounting solutions...

I use my 5.56 rifles for night time hog hunting and need a quick on/off on demand lighting solution. Hate pressure switches.

I badly want an AUG but this is what's holding me back
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:33:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I use my 5.56 rifles for night time hog hunting and need a quick on/off on demand lighting solution. Hate pressure switches.

View Quote
There are options:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Original-PuP-Light-Flashlight-Mount-for-Steyr-AUG-Microtech-MSAR-Rifles-/252202390512

http://www.ratworxusa.com/product.20-fgr-auga3

http://corvusdefensio.com/en/shop/corvus-defensio-forward-accessory-rail-long/

Pete has the A3 grip rails in stock too:
http://www.pjs-steyraug.com/a3scope.jpg
By far the most expensive at $260
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:41:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Aaaand I just ordered the 40th Anniversary model.   I just really wish it had 3x lenses in the same optic
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:00:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Aaaand I just ordered the 40th Anniversary model.   I just really wish it had 3x lenses in the same optic
View Quote
I, personally, wish there were more variable powered short optics....but that being said....I am MEGA JELLY OF YOU RIGHT NOW.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 3:41:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Parts are expensive as hell .

For real though, you can't go wrong with the AUG.

Lightfighter thread on the AUG/F88 is full of knowledge from Aussie and Ozzie users of the F88. They have some great knowledge to share.

I think Meopta makes the M1 1.5x and 3x factory optics. Swarovski made the original 1.5x donut of death.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:03:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I love mine.  I bought the NATO stocked model and just deal with running the charging handle.  On a timer I'm able to get a 3.5 secondish reload plus or minus a little bit depending on how smooth I am.  Not as fast as an AR but not awful either.  It's quickly become my favorite rifle in the safe and is usually what I grab anymore if I'm going to the range, or competition or even if I'm running out to my parent's place and want something in my trunk.

My around town trunk gun is a much cheaper and easier to replace 10.5 inch AR pistol locked to the baby seat anchors in the back.  

Anywho I'm running mine with a Vickers padded sling, TA33F ACOG, and a TLR-1HP for a weapon light with a pressure pad (usually hate these but I've gotten used it it) on the left side of the stock where I can hit it with my thumb.  It's a gun I've wanted since I watched Die Hard as a kid and I was finally in a position where I could comfortably afford it and scooped one up.  Glad I did.

Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:38:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Inforce pistol light.  I tried one on my side rail of my AUG...prettttty sweet!

I need to get one but I have GOT to clean up some of my other projects first.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top