Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2017 8:10:15 PM EDT
I am not a lefty...but I was wondering....is there a reason ( not being intimately familiar with the AUG yet ) why someone doesn't make a left hand safety for the AUG to go with the left hand ejection option.

I can see why Steyr doesn't, due to a perceived liability.....but a fully left gun would be nice if it was a FULLY LEFT HANDED GUN...or as much as possible.

Anyone know?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:16:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Because Steyr ran a cost/benefit analysis and determined it wouldn't be profitable.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:46:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm thinking more along the lines of the aftermarket.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 10:17:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I dunnoh, but I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 10:23:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I dunnoh, but I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
View Quote
I think a lot of folks would.  Instead of red and white dots, have a red and white bar groove that goes around the whole perimeter of the safety on each side to differentiate it from the regular red and white dot AUG safety and maybe have some seriously glooey stickers or something that you can add as an extra precautionary measure that you can put above the safety.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 8:32:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I grew up shooting hunting style firearms and most all of them had a crossbolt safety. It seemed that no one was much interested in military pattern rifles at the time, so nobody we knew even owned them. I had to move out of the house and buy my own rifles before I got accustomed to selectors. That said, I don't know that lefties have ever had much protest over the traditional crossbolt setup back in the day.

I don't know that any change is needed to the current setup, except for the fact that the edges are way too sharp from the factory. I always file down the edges to round them off and make them more user-friendly.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 10:18:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I have not looked at how it disassembles but is there anyway to just pull the safety out & flip it?
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 2:08:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I believe you may have to remove the screws that hold the shell together.  I trying to remember if anyone made a replacement cross bolt safety as an after market item.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 3:16:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Does it really need to be left handed though?

Its kinda really easy to use with either hand whenever I try it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 7:09:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Cause it's not really necessary. It works just as well with your left hand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top