Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2017 7:52:14 PM EDT
I know this may trigger some people, but I have wanted a KSG for a while, but as I am currently in Kentucky 2+1 is all we can use for hunting.  I can't currently justify a 3" predator hunting shotgun and the KSG, so I am wondering if there is any way to disable one magazine, and plug the other to only hold 2?  My other choice is a Beretta A300 Turkey. I have an A5 for bird hunting.  This will be used for predator and blasting.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:24:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Wooden dowel, measuring tape and a saw.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:00:54 PM EDT
[#2]
KSG has cylinder choke, it would not make a good turkey gun.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:33:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
KSG has cylinder choke, it would not make a good turkey gun.
View Quote
Aren't there clamp on chokes that will work on a KSG? The thought of a 2+1 KSG seems sacreligious to the very concept of the gun, but I admire the attempt! I've used my Benelli M4 the last few years I went, so I sympathize with using a tactical shotgun in a hunting scenario.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:40:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I really dont know if you could choke the KSG but it would be wierd with 3 shots on that gun.
I gave up killing turkeys with a shotgun, got too easy- went with a bow and killed many. Much more fun.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 10:58:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Last i checked there were threaded adapters for both Rem and Winchokes.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 11:00:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I really dont know if you could choke the KSG but it would be wierd with 3 shots on that gun.
I gave up killing turkeys with a shotgun, got too easy- went with a bow and killed many. Much more fun.
View Quote
Was more looking at predator hunting.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 11:02:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Aren't there clamp on chokes that will work on a KSG? The thought of a 2+1 KSG seems sacreligious to the very concept of the gun, but I admire the attempt! I've used my Benelli M4 the last few years I went, so I sympathize with using a tactical shotgun in a hunting scenario.
View Quote
People put plastic furniture, and magazine extensions on Belgian Brownings.  Sacrilegious is relative.  I know a few that use them, but they are in locations in which capacity is not limited.  Kentucky just got buckshot use a few years ago.  Light years ahead of Texas in some areas, and light years behind in others.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 1:04:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I would go with the dowels.

I used mine deer hunting once. Super handy to carry and use in the blind. Plus the top rail allowing me to add a red dot helped a lot with accuracy. I want to take it pheasant hunting.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:28:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Red dot will probably be added to whatever shotgun I get.  The KSG would allow a red dot without buying a rail, or Burris speed bead.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:19:27 PM EDT
[#10]
if you can't find a functional shotgun that takes 3" shells for less than $200, you aren't trying...  BTW, for wingshooting I can't imagine a worse shotgun.  The time I plugged by Saiga 20ga for dove hunting is when I learned the value of sighting plane...
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:39:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
if you can't find a functional shotgun that takes 3" shells for less than $200, you aren't trying...  BTW, for wingshooting I can't imagine a worse shotgun.  The time I plugged by Saiga 20ga for dove hunting is when I learned the value of sighting plane...
View Quote
If I wanted cheap there are more than enough 870s and 500s on facebook.  I'm not looking for cheap. I'm looking for information on using a KSG for hunting not birds with a plug.  I have an A5 for birds. (Edited OP for clarification)
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:51:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Shotguns are mega cheap at gun stores locally . What area you from?

The dowel will work though.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:56:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Shotguns are mega cheap at gun stores locally . What area you from?

The dowel will work though.
View Quote
Frankfort, but travel to L-ville, Lex, Bardstown, Stanford, Springfield, and up to Central OH often.  Trying to rationalize the KSG as a "hunting" shotgun or buy a new A300 or used 1301.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 1:57:44 PM EDT
[#14]
If you can't find a viable choke system, you can try the federal flight control wad ammo. Hornady also makes a version as well as winchester, they hold a tighter pattern. I have only used the buckshot version and they give me a pattern at 50 yards that is what a regular buckshot shell gives at 25.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 4:28:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Rem-choke
http://www.smt-tactical.com/ksg-choke-adapter

Win-choke
https://www.bullpuparmory.com/product_p/kt-ksg-437.htm
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:20:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I have done this in Ohio. Ohio is/was a 2+1 shotgun-only hunting state up until a few years ago.

We were all sighting in our shotguns at 75yds with a variety of slugs to find our best combinations in preparation for deer hunting the following weekend. I was using a remington 870 express with a slug barrel. I also happened to have a recently acquired Keltec KSG with EOtech XPS and magpul VFG in my trunk that I wanted to show off to my buddies... so for shits and giggles I pulled it out and brought it to the firing table. My buddies (and I) thought it was a pretty ridiculous idea and that I'd be lucky to hit the deer target.

Well, that damn KSG printed a better group than my Remington 870 slug gun. With Brenneke KO and Fiocchi slugs it put them all in the size of a grapefruit with some of the holes even touching just using that unmagnified EOTech. I imagine the short stiff barrel and added stiffness of the 3-tube deign was helping it. We were all like... WTF?!? Then I was like, "Yeah, I'm hunting with this one " to which their response was, " ."

I went home and plugged it using some 1/4" dowel rods. You've got to use a smaller rod because the nuts at the end of the mag tubes have pretty small openings. It worked well though and was actually a real treat with the sling and short length when climbing into and out of tree stands and then handling in the forest and in the tree stand was nice too. It's a tiny little bastard compared to a regular shotgun.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:20:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the info.

1. Do you think you could send me the dowels? :)

2. How did Ohio drop that law? 2+1 for varmints just seems asinine to me.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 12:13:27 PM EDT
[#18]
OH is still 2 +1 for deer, but they dropped the plug requirement. As long as there are only 3 shells loaded it's good to go

For other animals (like coyote) there are no limits

Home Depot, Lowes, or other hardware store will have wooden dowel rods. Just cut to length.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top