Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/7/2017 12:01:24 PM EDT
Picked up a gently used green A1 stock recently. Figured I may have some fun with my current, more 'seasoned' stock - maybe a non-permanent rattle can camo job. The only question is what camo.

I made a couple mockups from stock images of auscam, multicam, and flecktarn below (I have a spare grip that I would also refinish). I love Manticore's swedish camo job but I don't want to be a biter. Any thoughts on other camo designs? Or input from the purist's to say leave the stock as it is?

UPDATE:

Here it is for now.

Early criticisms I have: that light green is way off base - I'll have to mess around some more to tone that down. Also I wish the khaki turned out darker. Ended up doing the stencils by hand so I need to smooth out some of the more 'angular' curves. But overall a fun little project for my first attempt at rattle-canning. I'll leave the real refinishing to the pros.

Link Posted: 7/7/2017 1:54:13 PM EDT
[#1]
For some reason that first pic reminds me that they're after me lucky charms.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 2:47:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For some reason that first pic reminds me that they're after me lucky charms.
View Quote
'bunny cam' is a unique pattern for sure
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 3:19:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Of those, I'd definitely go with the AUSCAM
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 10:35:41 PM EDT
[#4]
The middle one is the only one I like at all.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:17:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Of those, I'd definitely go with the AUSCAM
View Quote
Plus 1
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 6:50:59 AM EDT
[#6]
The AUSCAM looks incredible. If I had a spare stock i'd do that color. Do you have anyone picked out to do the work?
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 7:57:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The AUSCAM looks incredible. If I had a spare stock i'd do that color. Do you have anyone picked out to do the work?
View Quote
AUSCAM is my leading one too. I was thinking of doing it myself - wife has a vinyl cutter so I can have her make some stencils and then rattle can it.

I'm leaning that direction so if I screw things up too much or don't like how it turns out, I can acetone back to square one, try again, or send it off to a yet to be determined professional for cerakoting.

My investment for the spare, like new, A1 stock/buttpad was $99 off GB and it even came with the factory cleaning kit. I'll keep that stock as it is. Add $25 for a spare foregrip off numrich and I've got a little project here to mess around with.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 11:54:44 AM EDT
[#8]
AUSCAM is a good choice. I'm interested to see what it looks like when you're done.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#9]
AUSCAM for sure.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:28:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Bunny cam for sure. :)
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 2:30:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks like the consensus has answered, will post updates when I do this
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 6:31:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Looks like the consensus has answered, will post updates when I do this
View Quote
I kinda wanna do this (or something similar) to my NATO stock. But I suck at stencils.

Usually when I spray paint a gun. I just go all epileptic with the spray cans in no discerning pattern or direction.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 7:11:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I kinda wanna do this (or something similar) to my NATO stock. But I suck at stencils.

Usually when I spray paint a gun. I just go all epileptic with the spray cans in no discerning pattern or direction.
View Quote
I hold no illusions and fully expect this may come out weird or bad. But I gotta try!
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 7:21:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I liked the Swiss Alpenflage.....thought that looked sweeet.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 9:42:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I hold no illusions and fully expect this may come out weird or bad. But I gotta try!
View Quote
I wait with baited breath for the results.

I'm not opposed to paying someone to do a really nice camo pattern with cerakote or whatever. But unless the gun is gonna be pampered. I wouldn't bother with the cost.

I'd like to do some cool/funky pattern like Alpinflage, the Swedish pattern, or bunny cam. Maybe I'll give it a shot.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 9:44:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I liked the Swiss Alpenflage.....thought that looked sweeet.
View Quote
that's German Flektarn
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 10:59:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

that's German Flektarn
View Quote
I like the Alpenflage better.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 1:50:19 PM EDT
[#18]
bump for update
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 2:57:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Great start!  Get that light green looking more olive drab and you're there...
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 3:10:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Great start!  Get that light green looking more olive drain and you're there...
View Quote
Thanks! Yeah that light green is way too cartoony
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 4:36:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah, very good start. Obviously, the colors are off. Course color can vary greatly depending on lighting conditions.

What paints did you use?

http://camopedia.org/index.php?title=Australia
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 5:04:07 PM EDT
[#22]
If you wanted to cheat a bit, Primary Arms has silicone stencils that make it easier to apply the patterns.

I'm too chicken to try, mine would end up as "hot mess" camo.

But not bad at all for the first pass.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 5:14:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yeah, very good start. Obviously, the colors are off. Course color can vary greatly depending on lighting conditions.

What paints did you use?

http://camopedia.org/index.php?title=Australia
View Quote
Valspar tropical foliage, and the rest are all rustoleum warm caramel, hunter green, khaki, and chestnut brown. You'd think tropical foliage wouldn't be neon but there you go.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 5:20:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If you wanted to cheat a bit, Primary Arms has silicone stencils that make it easier to apply the patterns.

I'm too chicken to try, mine would end up as "hot mess" camo.

But not bad at all for the first pass.
View Quote
I def wouldn't be brave enough if this was my only AUG stock, even with the flexibility spray paint removal can offer
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 6:32:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm a fan of your base coat in khaki. Looks good.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:53:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Valspar tropical foliage, and the rest are all rustoleum warm caramel, hunter green, khaki, and chestnut brown. You'd think tropical foliage wouldn't be neon but there you go.
View Quote
As maleante mentioned. Looking at it, the base khaki isn't bad. Might be good to go. Could maybe be a little darker. But, it might be the lighting.

The hunter green isn't bad. Maybe use some Rustoleum "deep forest green". I like that one.

The lime green/tropical folaige is obviously too bright. But it could work if a tad bit darker.

I think the lighter, dark color (I'm guessing that's the "warm caramel" works for orangey color of the pattern.

And the brown needs be a little....more redish I think.

But it's a good start. Just my half assed observations.

It can be hard, matching colors. Especially on often not seen colors/patterns.

A few years ago, I got bored and tried to put a Czechoslovakian vz.60 mlok (salamander) pattern on a vz. 58.

I got the general idea more or (probably)less. But gave up on trying to pattern it. (poor planning) And went freestyle with it.

Then I got bored and went with a traditional vz. 58 gray coloration: Much easier.

I
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 8:40:48 PM EDT
[#27]
AUSCAM has 3 different greens:

Dark green
Olive Drab
Light Olive Drab
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:04:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm a fan of your base coat in khaki. Looks good.
View Quote
It's growing on me some. Kinda like the old Sand color from way back
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:05:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

As maleante mentioned. Looking at it, the base khaki isn't bad. Might be good to go. Could maybe be a little darker. But, it might be the lighting.

The hunter green isn't bad. Maybe use some Rustoleum "deep forest green". I like that one.

The lime green/tropical folaige is obviously too bright. But it could work if a tad bit darker.

I think the lighter, dark color (I'm guessing that's the "warm caramel" works for orangey color of the pattern.

And the brown needs be a little....more redish I think.

But it's a good start. Just my half assed observations.

It can be hard, matching colors. Especially on often not seen colors/patterns.

A few years ago, I got bored and tried to put a Czechoslovakian vz.60 mlok (salamander) pattern on a vz. 58.
http://i.imgur.com/aLGAlG4.jpg

I got the general idea more or (probably)less. But gave up on trying to pattern it. (poor planning) And went freestyle with it.
http://i.imgur.com/xI2T6P4.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ZwcYiDd.jpg

Then I got bored and went with a traditional vz. 58 gray coloration: Much easier.
http://i.imgur.com/McDbcNu.jpg

I
View Quote
Nice attempt, never seen that before. Ironically USR/Steyr Scout Grey was my backup plan
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:16:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
AUSCAM has 3 different greens:

Dark green
Olive Drab
Light Olive Drab
View Quote
I'm only seeing 2 types on camopedia
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:00:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Nice attempt, never seen that before.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nice attempt, never seen that before.
Thanks. Yeah, it's pretty obscure. The Czechoslovakians didn't use it very long (manly through the 60's). They did find their way into Yemen though.

Quoted: Ironically USR/Steyr Scout Grey was my backup plan

I've always liked that color.
I originally saw this over on the bullpup forum I believe.

Member used a lightened battleship grey cerakote if I remember correctly in his AUG.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:03:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm only seeing 2 types on camopedia
View Quote
If there's 3, I'm not seeing it.

But camopedia could be wrong. I swear there's 5 color on the Czech mlok camo for instance.

They list the yellow, black, brown and green. But I see a second lighter, minty green color too.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 12:15:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Thanks. Yeah, it's pretty obscure. The Czechoslovakians didn't use it very long (manly through the 60's). They did find their way into Yemen though.

I've always liked that color.
I originally saw this over on the bullpup forum I believe.

Member used a lightened battleship grey cerakote if I remember correctly in his AUG.
http://i.imgur.com/aobMrtT.jpg
View Quote
Polymer stock is cerakotable?
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 12:43:41 AM EDT
[#34]
I sprayed mine a couple weeks ago.
Kept it simple to see how it holds up before I start cutting stencils.
Planned on going Kryptek.  
Also was testing out some decals of my family coat of arms that I printed up.

Also 1st time trying out some new photo hosting options now that photobucket broke the internet.
Hopefully it all works out
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 4:32:58 AM EDT
[#35]
I like the coloration. Just need to paint the barrel and receiver now.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 4:50:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Polymer stock is cerakotable?
View Quote
Sure, why not? Depending on the plastic/polymer. Cerakote can be cured in the oven at 180 degrees for 2 hours. There's also an air dry version.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 10:59:44 AM EDT
[#37]

Stencils for Lots of different camo patterns are available cheap  from weaponsstencils.com or bulldog arms
Cerakote air dry is so simple that even a child could do it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top