Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/3/2017 12:31:31 AM EDT
I've had my Tavor for many years now and it's mostly been something that sits in the safe because I didn't have access to longer ranges for a long time. I've been using a Mepro 21 optic with it but I just don't like it very much. It has a big dot and it's hard to see in certain lighting conditions.

I'm inclined to get a Aimpoint PRO but I know most optics mounted for an AR tend to be a little too low for a Tavor so I'm wondering what you all are using and whether or not they can get tall enough to work with the Tavor.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 12:41:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Eotech with 3x behind it.

What do you mean "long range" ... something other than indoor 25 yard range?

As for most optics being too low, just the opposite in fact.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:08:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah for the last 3 years I've only had access to a max 25 yard indoor range which really negated any interest I had in rifle shooting. I now have access to a max 200 yards outdoor range and the outdoor lighting conditions of the covered shooting area and sun on the targets make the reflex style sight wash out a lot.

Meanwhile the PRO I have on my Scorpion is rocking it hard and the 4 year battery life is really making me question the utility of the never need batteries of the Mepro.

And yes most optics I'm aware of that co-witness with a AR-15 height sights are too low to be comfortable on a Tavor.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 2:06:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm using an ACOG TA33GH in a Midwest Industries mini ACOG mount on my X95.  I just ran it through an intermediate level carbine class last weekend.  For single shots from the high or low ready, I seemed to be keeping up with the ARs with red dots in speed, but I think my groups were noticeably tighter than most due to the magnification.  I need to work on my recoil control, so I can't really comment on rapid fire shots.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 7:45:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Sig Romeo 4b on my 9mm Tavor SAR and a Vortex Spitfire 3x on my 5.56mm X95.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 10:21:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Vortex Strikefire and Vortex 3x.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 10:21:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Mepro RDS.  Literally built for Tavors.

Link Posted: 7/3/2017 10:22:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I use a Trijicon MRO on a LaRue LT839.

Link Posted: 7/3/2017 10:30:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Acog ta31

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 10:50:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Leupold c/qt on an 18" barrel SAR. Decent sight with up to 3x magnification. It is large though. I had it available so went with it. For me to get it to a height that was comfortable, not just usable, I added a riser from MI.

Meprolight RDS on my 16" SAR. I am very happy with it. I like the large clear window. More brightness settings would be nice.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:19:13 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm using a E O Tech 512 in a YHM riser to give exact co-witness on the Tavor.   I tried a Strike Eagle in a Vortex CM-202 mount  but for how I use my Tavor I just prefer a red dot sight.   I tested a Aimpoint T-1 type RDS but like the large window on the E O Tech.  I've used a 2.5-10X44 scope in a RRA mount on my SAR for range testing which worked suprisingly well.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:29:51 AM EDT
[#11]
I never understand why people buy nice rifles and put shit optics on them. I am a member of the x95 group on Facebook and 90% of people have sub $100 optics on them
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 12:14:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 12:25:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:00:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/129976/90991.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I actually had considered that but some reports are that it has a lot of parallax which was off putting.

Quoted:
I never understand why people buy nice rifles and put shit optics on them. I am a member of the x95 group on Facebook and 90% of people have sub $100 optics on them
While I understand and agree with what you are saying this comment doesn't add anything to the post.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Oh, let me add, I do not like the Strike Eagle. Terrible eye relief and mushy turrets, and the glass is just ok for it's price.

Before that I had a Burris MTAC. Eye relief was very good, turrets were positive and tactile, audible as well. You can't hardly feel the clicks on the Vortex on the elevation turret. I have to look at the numbers to see how many I'm turning or put it up to my ear. As far as the glass, I could see better at 4X on the MTAC than I can at 6X on the Vortex.

The only thing about the MTAC I didn't like was the reticle was the CQB one, and while it's amazing for what it was intended for, I do a lot of hand loading and I needed something with a bit more precision to work up loads.

I'm likely going to be selling the Vortex and going back to the MTAC with the new reticle, unless I find something else.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 4:31:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I actually had considered that but some reports are that it has a lot of parallax which was off putting.

While I understand and agree with what you are saying this comment doesn't add anything to the post.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
sure it does. I added a picture of my rifle with a ta31 acog. Great combat optic for a combat rifle. Don't cheap out on the optic if you didn't on the rifle.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 6:05:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
I cannot share that sentiment, nor can anyone who has shot my rifle.  It does not appear to suffer any noticeable parallax issues unless you're so close that you could fix bayonets.

Then again, I don't shoot from a bench after my stuff is zeroed.  And I can only match the 2 MOA dot while shooting for a couple of rounds while standing, afterwards it's more accurate than I am.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 10:37:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Mepro21 with the X recticle is what I'm using , buddy of mine had the bullseye dot , yeah it's big 
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:14:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Mepro RDS.  No issues and like mentioned above, practically made for Tavors.

Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:35:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Meprolight
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 3:55:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Mepro RDS.  No issues and like mentioned above, practically made for Tavors.

http://i.imgur.com/iiMCvRh.jpg
View Quote
Well then that's a very appealing option. It's not too expensive either.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Attachment Attached File

Running an old aimpoint that seems pretty decent for it
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 4:59:30 PM EDT
[#23]
I had an M21 with the triangle reticle and loved it. If I had the cash I'd go back with that for a reflex sight. I'll probably go with a Holosun with a circle / dot for a red dot sight until I decide what to go with.

I really want one of the new holo sights from Vortex , but there are so many with particles inside the housing and other things, I will hold off on them until the next versions come out if I go that way.

I loved my Eotechs, and never had any issues except for one that had the battery issue and the laminate start to go bad. They sent me an RMA and and I shipped it, and they had it back in my hands, fixed, very quickly. I had it for another year and a half and ended up letting it go with a rifle it was on, and the same with the M21, it was on a rifle I was forced to sell as well.

I think I may as well save up my cash and buy the very best 1-6 or 1-8 scope with a reticle like the Strike Eagle ( or similar ), and be done with that, and then whatever plays out for the reflex sight.

I've had a little of everything over the last 20 years, but I'm still not 100% sure on anything because the game keeps changing every couple of years.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:32:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Leupold LCO
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:18:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I cannot share that sentiment, nor can anyone who has shot my rifle.  It does not appear to suffer any noticeable parallax issues unless you're so close that you could fix bayonets.

Then again, I don't shoot from a bench after my stuff is zeroed.  And I can only match the 2 MOA dot while shooting for a couple of rounds while standing, afterwards it's more accurate than I am.

YMMV.
View Quote
Yeah. I have 3 of them and they are no worse than anything else I have. The problem I have with them is the battery cap needs to really be cranked down. And Mako of course. Other than that I really like them.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 1:14:13 AM EDT
[#26]
TRS-25 on a UTG Pro riser.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 1:26:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yeah. I have 3 of them and they are no worse than anything else I have. The problem I have with them is the battery cap needs to really be cranked down. And Mako of course. Other than that I really like them.
View Quote
What's with Mako?
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 9:24:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What's with Mako?
View Quote
Mako is the company that told customers to Get Fucked when their magazines didn't work.  Drama llama
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 11:07:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
TRS-25 on a UTG Pro riser.
View Quote
Excellent budget combination.  Those UTG risers are quite good for their cost.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 3:12:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Vortex Spitfire 3x
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Mako is the company that told customers to Get Fucked when their magazines didn't work.  Drama llama
View Quote
It should be mentioned they are an importer not a manufacturer as far as I know. While they are meprolights sole US distributor you can always buy from someplace else with better customer service if you are really worried about it like Amazon, or optics planet, etc.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 2:16:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Had a Razor 1-6x on it. Decided I didn't like the added bulk/weight.

Aimpoint T2 on a Scalarworks 1/3 cowitness mount (the Scalarworks mount is really light and awesome). Just about absolute cowitness with the SAR built-in sights (which are, indeed, taller than AR sights due to the bullpup buttstock being higher.

I do find the T2 slightly faster for me, than even the Vortex or Kahles (have 2 of those) 1-6x set at 1x, and it's definitely better for odd position type shooting (eg. under the rear/trunk of a vehicle etc.), as there's no eye relief. If I can see the dot and target, I can shoot (taking into account vertical vs horizontal rifle positions and offsets).

Vortex 3x magnifier on QD mount if needed. Want the Aimpoint 6xMAG1 but dang is that thing expensive. If I really needed 300 yard capability or further, I'd probably pop one of the K16i's on the SAR (significantly lighter than the Vortex), but that isn't the SAR's role for me, and I have numerous other options that are better suited for 0-500 yards or beyond.

The SAR is 0-300 yards for me, with more emphasis towards CQB, hence the Aimpoint.

No idea how tough an RMR is, but an RMR in a Scalarworks mount would be even lighter.

P.S

You might want to check out Dopushups writeup on the red dot parallax test.

I'm happy with the T2.

The RMR on the Benelli (with a Scalarworks mount to cowitness the ghost ring irons) looks to have minimal enough parallax that I bought a 1 MOA RMR and AD 45-degree offset mount to pair with a 17S with a scope. Hope the 17S doesn't kill it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 5:02:01 PM EDT
[#33]
MRO
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 1:40:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Currently using a Trijicon RX34.  

I did have a M21 bullseye but it was just too large a reticle for my taste.  A buddy of mine also has an X95, so I swapped him my M21 and a bit of cash for his Triji.  He likes the bullseye better for fast close in shooting, I like the larger field of view and the much more precise dot.  Win / win!
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:16:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Cheap ass people.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:58:07 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a X95 with a Aimpoint ML2 on a ADM lower 1/3 mount and it is perfect. A lower 1/3 mount will = absolute cowitness on a Tavor.

I initially had an Aimpoint micro on a LaRue lower 1/3 mount, but for some reason I did not like it. The micro went back on the AR and it is perfect there.

I think an Eotech would be purfect match for the Tavor.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 2:27:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Trijicon RX30
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 8:24:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 12:50:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Trijicon MRO with a Larue Mount on my SAR
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 4:45:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Excellent budget combination.  Those UTG risers are quite good for their cost.
View Quote
I have an Mepro RDS but thinking of UTG high mount with micro Truglo red dot as it's a  lighter more compact setup.

And Yes I am cheap.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 6:06:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I have an Mepro RDS but thinking of UTG high mount with micro Truglo red dot as it's a  lighter more compact setup.

And Yes I am cheap.
View Quote
Swapping a Mepro product for a Truglo product would be a mistake in my opinion.  Why go with an even cheaper optic on a $1500+ rifle?
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 6:47:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Swapping a Mepro product for a Truglo product would be a mistake in my opinion.  Why go with an even cheaper optic on a $1500+ rifle?
View Quote
I am moving the RDS to an AR. The Truglo is surprisingly  clear and bright. Also Much lighter than the RDS. I can move it back later.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:32:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Which one is that and what mount is that?
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 2:06:27 AM EDT
[#44]
TAC30 1-4x in a reversed adm mount.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 11:29:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Mepro 21 is a great optic if you get one with the triangle reticle. You use the point for more precise shots. The bullseye Mepro does cover too much of the target at 50 yards and beyond
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 4:26:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Mepro 21 is a great optic if you get one with the triangle reticle. You use the point for more precise shots. The bullseye Mepro does cover too much of the target at 50 yards and beyond
View Quote
This. The tip of the triangle can be used out to 500m easily if used the way it's intended. Loved mine.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 1:22:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's a Leupold Mk AR Mod 1 and an American Defense Recon High mount.  The mount isn't reversed, its a cantilever set up, not really necessary on a Tavor but I just like the look of it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:05:58 PM EDT
[#48]
I tossed a PA 1-6x on it until i could snag a leupold...

i ended up really liking the PA scope so much that i kept it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 8:18:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Leupold Mark AR in an ADR mount.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 7:10:31 PM EDT
[#50]
MEPRO MOR, with IR laser as I do run NVD.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top