Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/28/2017 11:15:28 AM EDT
IWI US just posted this on their Facebook

"Hmmmm.... What have we here?"

thread from earlier this year
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:17:24 AM EDT
[#1]
DesertTech missed their window of opportunity...
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:33:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Well then...DT had better watch out; IWI has a history of delivering!
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:35:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Wouldn't it be funny if this rifle came out of nowhere and ended up beating the MDR to release.

ETA: Not to be cynical while trying to make this about another rifle, but I'd bet all the sudden the MDR gets fast tracked to release one way or another whether it's finished or not. Now every day pushed back is lost money.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:38:16 AM EDT
[#4]
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

Seriously, this is awesome.  

MDR is as good as DOA.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:47:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah I'd be up for one of these
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:48:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Is that an adjustable gas valve I see? Did IWI listen to me?

I suddenly regret selling all my .308 Pmags.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:53:16 AM EDT
[#7]
If that is a 308 and comes to market I will be buying it.

Screw the MDR and DT
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:58:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Story just hit The Firearms Blog

Important bit from the article, " called them to confirm, it is a .308 Tavor."
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:18:46 PM EDT
[#9]
It will be out years before the MDR

The gas block looks adjustable as well. IWI might have been listening.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:26:01 PM EDT
[#10]
looks amazing but good Lord! How heavy will that thing be?!

My tar-21 is like 10 freaking pounds going light on the optics and light.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:32:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Makes me wonder if IWI has been following the MDR debacle and chuckling to themselves at each delay.

Every delay and excuse that DT used to push back release just brought a litany of customers to IWI.

I deem this the MDR killer.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:41:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Makes me wonder if IWI has been following the MDR debacle and chuckling to themselves at each delay.

Every delay and excuse that DT used to push back release just brought a litany of customers to IWI.

I deem this the MDR killer.
View Quote
Agreed.  DT dun f'ed up
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:53:13 PM EDT
[#13]
If they announce a release date before the end of this year or even q1 next year I'll probably go ahead and cancel my mdr group buy preorder
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:01:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yeah I'd be up for one of these
View Quote
Me too. I've been looking at options on A semi auto .308. Tavor .308 would be cool.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:22:00 PM EDT
[#15]
"Free tee shirt w/proof of DT presale cancelation!".....  THAT would be the DT killer.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 2:11:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I had high hopes for the DT MDR.  I want a 308 bullpup but don't want the Kel tec.  Now my high hopes are for this.  Could be a nice 308 battle rifle.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:17:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
looks amazing but good Lord! How heavy will that thing be?!

My tar-21 is like 10 freaking pounds going light on the optics and light.
View Quote
I'm interested in this too. I like my SAR, but I bet the .308 Tavor will be an absolute hog.

My RFB is right at 8lbs stock (IIRC)
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I bet this will be available before the mdr for sure. I'm in, especially if it's sub 2k$. Hopefully it'll be sub 1,800 on the shelf.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#19]
My wishes have been answered.  

I do also have a sneaky suspicion that this will be the catalyst that suddenly sparks DT to get their head out of their ass.  

Eta:  coincidence that DT's newest update just so happens to sound a bit more customer friendly and more detailed?  I think not. No way in hell did this announcement coincidentally happen at the same time DT says what they just posted.

But

Sorry DT.  If this IWI .308 is officially announced and a release date gets set you will not be seeing my money.

Everyone keeps talking about the shortcomings of accuracy in the x95 or tavor.  However that has not been my personal experience with those rifles so I will be more than satisfied.  Not to mention IWI has not given me any reason to take my business elsewhwere.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:20:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I deem this the MDR killer Aborter.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:25:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My wishes have been answered.  

I do also have a sneaky suspicion that this will be the catalyst that suddenly sparks DT to get their head out of their ass.  

Eta:  coincidence that DT's newest update just so happens to sound a bit more customer friendly and more detailed?  I think not. No way in hell did this announcement coincidentally happen at the same time DT says what they just posted.

But

Sorry DT.  If this IWI .308 is officially announced and a release date gets set you will not be seeing my money.

Everyone keeps talking about the shortcomings of accuracy in the x95 or tavor.  However that has not been my personal experience with those rifles so I will be more than satisfied.  Not to mention IWI has not given me any reason to take my business elsewhwere.
View Quote
I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed that not only did DT post an MDR update out of the blue literally a couple hours after IWIs post, but that their attitude was 100% more friendly than they have been. That tells me a lot about DT, and it's not flattering.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:33:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed that not only did DT post an MDR update out of the blue literally a couple hours after IWIs post, but that their attitude was 100% more friendly than they have been. That tells me a lot about DT, and it's not flattering.
View Quote
I have nothing to add other than the fact I agree....It smelled very badly of a recently dumped girlfriend begging you not to leave her.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:02:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Sweet.
Mother.
Of.
God.

So in. I really like the fusion of the two prior styles, I liked everything about the sar, except the mag release, boom, problem solved, and it's a big boy caliber.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:17:12 AM EDT
[#24]
It looks more like a TAR than X95, but perhaps I'm wrong.

I'm not a huge BP fan, but this looks like a winner, if it works.  Does the IDF use a version of this, or is it strictly a commercial exercise?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:54:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Damn, this sounds just up my alley! Hope they can keep the weight down on this beast!
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:00:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:11:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Damn, this sounds just up my alley! Hope they can keep the weight down on this beast!
View Quote
This is a concern of mine, and the only real reason I don't take my Tavor out more for anything involving extended carrying. If they can keep it on a diet and not have any weird flier issues like the X95 they'll have a huge hit on their hands. I'm very interested in giving my Tavor a big brother.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:22:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It looks more like a TAR than X95, but perhaps I'm wrong.

I'm not a huge BP fan, but this looks like a winner, if it works.  Does the IDF use a version of this, or is it strictly a commercial exercise?
View Quote
Commercial as far as I know. But maybe they will put it forward as a galatz/7.62 galil replacement. Wiki says the galatz was introduced in 1983 so would be about time for a rethink perhaps. I wonder if stuff like this is a side effect of them getting their cold hammer forging equipment up and running stateside. I think the .300 blackouts were the same. If they can make that out here they can get more adventurous and creative than being beholden to which barrels IWI Israel decides to make and send over for them to use.

Also it looks like a pretty good mix up of the two. X95 style buttpad, mag release, charging handle. The pistol grip may be the same as a x95 but to me it looks more angled like the sar but with the x95 style replaceable grip panels incorporated. The overall shape and foregrip do look more SAR than x95 though.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:59:22 AM EDT
[#29]
We'll see.  There's a lot of MDR frustration (justifiably) and so the resulting posted commits to buy this TAVOR are natural.   I applaud the movement.  But the prospect of a ~2.5 MOA .308 gives me pause.

Make it it in 6.5 CM (or 260), and make it reliably 1 MOA capable (with good ammo), and I will buy it.  I'll even pay the ~$2k premium to have it (compared to a .308 AR that can be had for $700 or less now).  This is a progression step in the bullpup world, which is exciting, but it's not quite the caliber I'm looking for, and likely not the precision I'm looking for.  My interest is more along the lines of ultracompact package capable of popping things 400-1000 yards away at open field PRS type shoots- and a .308 Tavor may or may not be that.  MDR has promised us they were going to deliver that.  I no longer believe anything MDR says, and have every expectation now that their offering will disappoint in every way - but that's still my spec (i.e. 1 MOA, 6.5 something-long)

But that's me!  A lot of guys just want a bullpup Loudenboomer that's "good enough baby!"   And there's nothing wrong with that!  I tell ya what, a .308 CQB gun like that will be a hard hitting conversation stopper regardless!   It's going to be bad-ass, even if it's still 2.5 MOA, and I can't wait for the range-reports when these become available - I will read each one with great care.

But me - I'm still patiently waiting for that 6.5-something 1 MOA bullpup to materialize by someone.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:38:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
We'll see.  There's a lot of MDR frustration (justifiably) and so the resulting posted commits to buy this TAVOR are natural.   I applaud the movement.  But the prospect of a ~2.5 MOA .308 gives me pause.

Make it it in 6.5 CM (or 260), and make it reliably 1 MOA capable (with good ammo), and I will buy it.  I'll even pay the ~$2k premium to have it (compared to a .308 AR that can be had for $700 or less now).  This is a progression step in the bullpup world, which is exciting, but it's not quite the caliber I'm looking for, and likely not the precision I'm looking for.  My interest is more along the lines of ultracompact package capable of popping things 400-1000 yards away at open field PRS type shoots- and a .308 Tavor may or may not be that.  MDR has promised us they were going to deliver that.  I no longer believe anything MDR says, and have every expectation now that their offering will disappoint in every way - but that's still my spec (i.e. 1 MOA, 6.5 something-long)

But that's me!  A lot of guys just want a bullpup Loudenboomer that's "good enough baby!"   And there's nothing wrong with that!  I tell ya what, a .308 CQB gun like that will be a hard hitting conversation stopper regardless!   It's going to be bad-ass, even if it's still 2.5 MOA, and I can't wait for the range-reports when these become available - I will read each one with great care.

But me - I'm still patiently waiting for that 6.5-something 1 MOA bullpup to materialize by someone.  
View Quote
lazy, I don't know...MOA or sub from semiauto bullpups is a tall order.  Not saying it can't, hasn't, or won't happen...just hard.  Even out of my RFB, I can occasionally get 5-shot groups of 1.75 MOA with Federal Gold Match 168g, but 2.0 and a little over is more common.  I reload but have been spending a good deal of time with various 5.56 and 300BO rounds.  I just about have those sorted to my satisfaction and will be moving on to my .243 and .308 rounds.  Maybe I'll develop something that will perform better...time will tell.

When it comes to precision shooting in general...in general...I just think it's a much better pursuit with a precision bolt rifle.  With Ruger and some other others making some amazing over-the-counter precision rifles at affordable prices, I just don't see a lot of reason to go for the kind of precision they offer over a bullpup.  Realize I'm not saying that I don't care if my bullpup...whatever caliber...has decent precision.  I just don't think it's as realistic a money vs. performance element.  Now, as anything gun related goes, people can pursue any venue they so desire by building or buying the firearm of their choice.  That's the reason we have so many great options and choices today.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:44:02 PM EDT
[#31]
IWI just posted up some details on Facebook:

TAVOR 7

Yesterday we posted a "teaser" on our new TAVOR 7 and your response has been huge!

Many of you have asked several questions about this new model. We will attempt to answer some of them here:

Specifications:
• Caliber: 7.62 NATO/.308 Win
• Barrel: CHF/CL 1:12 twist with a 16" barrel; 1:10 with 18" barrel
• OAL: 26.75" with 16" barrel (without flash suppressor)
• Weight: 8.6 Lbs.
• Optional calibers & Conversion Kits: TBD
• Colors: Black, FDE and OD Green

Features (muzzle to butt):
• Muzzle threads: 5/8 x 24
• 4 position variable gas regulator (including off)
• Upper forend: 2 MLOK slots at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock
• Lower forend: Removable SAR styled forend cover that exposes one integral pic rail at 6 o'clock when removed.
• Charging handle lockable in open position, similar to an MP5.
• Full length one piece Picatinny (Mil-Spec) top rail with integral folding BUIS; Tritium front post.
• Cutlass style grip modifiable to pistol grip with traditional trigger guard; same as X95.
• Short stroke gas piston (unlike our long stroke SAR and X95).
• Uses LR/SR25 magazines and comes with one 20-round Magpul PMAG with window (in states without capacity restrictions; 10 round for restricted states).
• Bolt release is Tavor SAR style along centerline or release from MP5 style charging handle
• Fire control group is not interchangeable with SAR or X95.

Ambidextrous Features:
• Ambidextrous bolt; no opposite hand bolt needed for conversion to opposite hand operation. No need to return the gun to IWI US for opposite hand conversion and head space checking.
• Ambidextrous (all the time) magazine release position like our X95, similar to an AR-15.
• Ambidextrous charging handle with push through receiver functionality. No need for tools or any disassembly.
• Ambidextrous (all the time) safety selector with a 450 rotation (unlike 900 on our SAR and X95).
• Ambidextrous (all the time) bolt release behind magazine; similar to the Tavor SAR.
• Ejection port covers are user configurable in the field with a simple slide of the case deflector.

Launch Date: First shipments projected to start in January, 2018.

Price: TBD
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:57:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Well lets see how IWI does meeting their dates!
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Huh.

Wonder why the 1:12 twist in the 16" barrel? Seems like they should stick with 1:10 unless the purpose of the shorter config is to blast M80 or equivalent.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:03:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

TAVOR 7

Yesterday we posted a "teaser" on our new TAVOR 7 and your response has been huge!

Many of you have asked several questions about this new model. We will attempt to answer some of them here:

Specifications:
• Caliber: 7.62 NATO/.308 Win
• Barrel: CHF/CL 1:12 twist with a 16" barrel; 1:10 with 18" barrel
• OAL: 26.75" with 16" barrel (without flash suppressor)
• Weight: 8.6 Lbs.
• Optional calibers & Conversion Kits: TBD
• Colors: Black, FDE and OD Green

Features (muzzle to butt):
• Muzzle threads: 5/8 x 24
• 4 position variable gas regulator (including off)
• Upper forend: 2 MLOK slots at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock
• Lower forend: Removable SAR styled forend cover that exposes one integral pic rail at 6 o'clock when removed.
• Charging handle lockable in open position, similar to an MP5.
• Full length one piece Picatinny (Mil-Spec) top rail with integral folding BUIS; Tritium front post.
• Cutlass style grip modifiable to pistol grip with traditional trigger guard; same as X95.
• Short stroke gas piston (unlike our long stroke SAR and X95).
• Uses LR/SR25 magazines and comes with one 20-round Magpul PMAG with window (in states without capacity restrictions; 10 round for restricted states).
• Bolt release is Tavor SAR style along centerline or release from MP5 style charging handle
• Fire control group is not interchangeable with SAR or X95.

Ambidextrous Features:
• Ambidextrous bolt; no opposite hand bolt needed for conversion to opposite hand operation. No need to return the gun to IWI US for opposite hand conversion and head space checking.
• Ambidextrous (all the time) magazine release position like our X95, similar to an AR-15.
• Ambidextrous charging handle with push through receiver functionality. No need for tools or any disassembly.
• Ambidextrous (all the time) safety selector with a 450 rotation (unlike 900 on our SAR and X95).
• Ambidextrous (all the time) bolt release behind magazine; similar to the Tavor SAR.
• Ejection port covers are user configurable in the field with a simple slide of the case deflector.

Launch Date: First shipments projected to start in January, 2018.

Price: TBD
Looks like we won't have to worry about it being a pig after all, 8.6 is pretty good considering what the 5.56 Tavor (and the currently nonexistent MDR) weighs in at.

If they can price it at or below the MDR I think DT may have accidentally helped them out by giving hundreds of customers a few grand in reserves if they were to cancel their preorders. Ouch.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:03:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Huh.

Wonder why the 1:12 twist in the 16" barrel? Seems like they should stick with 1:10 unless the purpose of the shorter config is to blast M80 or equivalent.
View Quote
They did 1:12 with the Galil Ace. I figure they think no one will blast heavy pills out of a 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:23:59 PM EDT
[#36]
It'll probably hit the streets before the MDR.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:47:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Yeah so my Christmas money is going down on of these for sure.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:24:40 PM EDT
[#38]
So into one of these now the specs are out! Wonder why they went to short stroke though?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:48:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Yeah so my Christmas money is going down on of these for sure.
View Quote
Yep, me too.  Plenty of time to save.  I'm hoping they keep it under 2 grand.  If not, I'll have to pass.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 5:46:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So into one of these now the specs are out! Wonder why they went to short stroke though?
View Quote
Good question.

But LWRC is shortstroke as well and they seem to work well.

I am loving the "off" setting on their gas block.  They actually outdid the MDR in that particular aspect.  This will be a great feature for assessing it's accuracy.

Although I dont personally need an ambi- bolt I am curious to see how they accomplished this.

They seem to have taken ideas from both tavors and combined them with the MDR (kfeltenberger will hang me for this comparison), ARX possibly, and mp5 charging handle.

At first glance it appears they put some thought into what people want.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 6:31:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Yup it really seems like they rolled a whole bunch of stuff into it that people have been wanting. I'm excited.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 6:32:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
I wonder if it was maybe so they could lighten up the BCG. If it was just a scaled up 5.56 one that would be a substantial amount of metal being thrown around in the gun making follow up shots slower especially when you add in the increased recoil of 7.62 over 5.56.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:39:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Personal thoughts aside, K&M had an adjustable gas blocked bullpup in 308 a while ago. A long while ago.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:46:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Personal thoughts aside, K&M had an adjustable gas blocked bullpup in 308 a while ago. A long while ago.
View Quote
Aesthetics aside too.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:53:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Damn well going on my short list for sure 
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:27:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Just when I told myself I didn't need any more guns...
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:44:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Aesthetics aside too.
View Quote
I'm taking your statement to mean you don't think the K&M looks good.  This is probably the old "beauty in the eye of the beholder" thing.  I think the Steyr AUG and the K&M are probably the two best looking bullpups around.  The Tavor and some others look more like bricks with a barrel sticking out.

Don't misunderstand my comment.  I love my Tavor, RFB, AUG, and KSG.  I'm more of a function over form type of guy.  I like a good looking brick...LOL!  Still, from just a "shape" type of consideration, I think the K&M and AUG have a nice flow in their style.  But since style doesn't kill people...guns kill people...I'll go with whatever works...looks being totally up to the observer.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 11:11:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Wow!  1,203 facebook likes at the time I'm posting this.   That ought to tell the factory what the buying public wants.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 2:53:10 PM EDT
[#49]
This looks really nice.

I love my Scar 17, and really don't need to spend money on another .308 platform, but this looks too nice to pass up.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 6:57:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Wow!  1,203 facebook likes at the time I'm posting this.   That ought to tell the factory what the buying public wants.
View Quote
It tells that that out of the 90+ million gun owners in the US, and God knows how many in the rest of the world, that 1,203 like the post.  Not really a good barometer when you work the numbers...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top