Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2017 7:56:27 PM EDT
I have a couple A1's already but i bought a NIB 907 series 16" AUG. Keep in mind this thing has been sitting un-used for about 20 years.

i'm getting a lot of failure to eject malfunctions, almost like short stroking.

Noticed one thing:  the recoil springs are EXTREMELY tight.  I have to put the AUG to my thigh and pull the charging handle back hard. I believe this is whats causing the failure to ejects/short stroking issues.  When you combine the recoil spring resistance WITH the hammer-pack spring resistance -- then its even harder for the bolt to cycle.

When on "adverse" setting, zero issues.  I shot about 150 rounds of nato ammo through it on adverse and all is good. When i switch to regular setting, the issues begin.

I've left the bolt locked open for a week now and the resistance has not subsided.  I checked the recoils springs, no rust of any kind.  I've oiled them and cycled them over and over plus put about 200 rounds through it. Still hard as hell to pull back.  

What to do?  Keep bolt locked back for 2 months ?  Change the recoil springs? I not really sure how to do that as thrust caps are on there pretty tight.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:09:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe the ammo you are using isn't hot enough?

Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:16:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe the ammo you are using isn't hot enough?

View Quote
Been using all quality stuff, mostly  Federal Lake City 5.56x45mm XM193.  Other stuff has NATO cross on it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:35:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd just keep running it on adverse for awhile see if its good to go after a few hundred more rounds. From what I understand about springs leaving it locked back shouldn't do anything because its by going through the whole compression release cycle repeatably that good springs get weaker not just being compressed and staying compressed.

But that wouldn't be the first time I was wrong so if I am im sure someone will come along soon and correct me.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:04:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Somethings not right, id send it to Steyr or PJs
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:18:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Is that the nato version? Mine had jams too. Haven't tried it since
Edit: sorry I missed the part about its a 20y.o. gun
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:54:14 AM EDT
[#6]
With my two AUGs, locking back the bolt and letting it sit for 2 weeks heled the recoil springs take a set, which made the guns easier to charge. They also seemed to cycle more effortlessly when firing.

Either way, after 1k rounds things should get easier. After 2k it should settle in perfectly.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:20:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
With my two AUGs, locking back the bolt and letting it sit for 2 weeks heled the recoil springs take a set, which made the guns easier to charge. They also seemed to cycle more effortlessly when firing.

Either way, after 1k rounds things should get easier. After 2k it should settle in perfectly.
View Quote
My experience also.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:21:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree with Sven. Not sure if it's the factory preservative, or something added later, but I've seen that before on guns that sat a long time. I'd disassemble it and use solvent on all the metal parts, followed by fresh lubricant.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 5:43:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My guess would be that gun oil or grease has sludged up in the spring tubes, and running it should help break it up and break it in.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote
Yup.  Field strip, clean and apply a generous, thin gun oil.  Work action repeatedly....go to range....
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 9:48:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I shall give all these tips a try.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 9:58:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Try swapping stocks and bolt carriers between your AUG's and see if the problem follows.

Mick
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 11:56:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Interestingly I just found an A1 I forgot I had. It was sitting with the bolt locked back for about five years. Springs have loosened up a bit on it. Going to shoot it today or tomorrow and see how it goes.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Interestingly I just found an A1 I forgot I had.
View Quote
Some days I want to be you - today seems to be one of those
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 1:32:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Interestingly I just found an A1 I forgot I had.
View Quote
Must be nice! 
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 9:44:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Interestingly I just found an A1 I forgot I had. It was sitting with the bolt locked back for about five years. Springs have loosened up a bit on it. Going to shoot it today or tomorrow and see how it goes.
View Quote

Was it in the spare garage where the extra Bentleys are?
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 10:04:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yup.  Field strip, clean and apply a generous, thin gun oil.  Work action repeatedly....go to range....
View Quote
And be sure you don't oil the recoil springs inside the guide rods.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 10:27:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Was it in the spare garage where the extra Bentleys are?
View Quote
Bentley's are for chumps. It was in the hangar with the spare G6.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 12:29:53 AM EDT
[#19]
That's good. I thought maybe it was on one of your smaller yachts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top