Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2017 4:27:51 PM EDT
Looking at getting a new rifle and was looking hard at a CZ Bren 805 but am considering a tavor now. I have seen them used going for pretty good prices. What would be a good price for a used one of these? I have heard they have some accuracy problems with the x95, how about the regular tavor?
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 4:40:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Re: the X95 I've gotten the impression some of the early models may have had poorly crowned muzzles.  I have a x95 and like it better than the SAR.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 5:23:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Re: the X95 I've gotten the impression some of the early models may have had poorly crowned muzzles.  I have a x95 and like it better than the SAR.
View Quote
What does the x95 offer over the tavor? It seems like it's mainly just the grip and forearm that's different?
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 5:58:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What does the x95 offer over the tavor? It seems like it's mainly just the grip and forearm that's different?
View Quote
Mag release is also different.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 7:55:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Horrendous trigger pull, really terrible irons. The balance worked well for me; I could see a Tavor being handy for CQB/home defense. It's an inadequate general service rifle- the IDF issues more M4s than Tavors.

Don't try to run a Tavor with irons; the one I shot had a bent front sight post and I was unable to connect with a 15" gong at 200 yards. I brought out my 20" A1/C7 a few minutes later and rang the crap out of the gong, so it wasn't my shooting

The above may be partially attributable to poor accuracy in the rifle, but I don't know.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 8:25:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Mag release, railed forearm, better trigger, better balance, slightly shorter LOP.

I like my SAR better due to the fact that I choke up on my grip, and the X95 made it comfy only if I choked down.....but it's that way on th Daniel Defense grips too, so maybe that's a thing.

That, and it would have cost me the same money to upgrade my rifle vs. sell it and buy the X95.  YMMV
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 9:27:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Horrendous trigger pull, really terrible irons. The balance worked well for me; I could see a Tavor being handy for CQB/home defense. It's an inadequate general service rifle- the IDF issues more M4s than Tavors.

Don't try to run a Tavor with irons; the one I shot had a bent front sight post and I was unable to connect with a 15" gong at 200 yards. I brought out my 20" A1/C7 a few minutes later and rang the crap out of the gong, so it wasn't my shooting

The above may be partially attributable to poor accuracy in the rifle, but I don't know.
View Quote
Is the trigger pull significantly improved with the geissele trigger upgrade? Is the mechanical accuracy sound, just thrown off by a terrible trigger pull?
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 12:01:48 AM EDT
[#7]
The geiselle Trigger upgrade makes it a different rifle.   Seriously, feels like a target AR trigger.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 12:43:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Is the trigger pull significantly improved with the geissele trigger upgrade? Is the mechanical accuracy sound, just thrown off by a terrible trigger pull?
View Quote
I had one of the 1st x95s , honestly I liked everything about it except the 3-5 moa mechanical accuracy. I've heard that has been addressed but can't confirm that.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 9:29:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
I personally found the X95 trigger to be enough of an improvement for the price that I bought one to install on my SAR.  I waited for IWI to put it on sale, and got it for $160.  That's the most I've ever paid for a trigger, but even with that (substantial) upgrade, as well as the MI fore-end, and the Manticore buttpad, I'm about at the same "cost" as selling my SAR to buy an X95 to get the same upgrades.  If I had not already had my SAR, I would have bought the X95 and never thought anything more about it.

Link Posted: 5/13/2017 1:08:46 PM EDT
[#10]
There is nothing wrong with the x95.

Some people like it some people dont but there is nothing wrong with it.  You arent buying the tavor to shoot tight groups off the bench or shoot long range; you are buying it because its unlike a 16" AR in that it balances really well in a small package.

Mine has a stock trigger that is perfectly acceptable.  It is smooth but heavy and more importantly for me breaks clean.  I have also felt the Geissele trigger/trigger pack in one and while it is lighter it isnt necessary or worth $300+ dollars versus what I can do with my stock trigger.

I have never held a Tavor or bullpup besides a ps90 until ordering mine and its exactly what I expected and I wouldnt sell it.

Dont read too much into other peoples opinions on it because there is a fair amount of a bad stigma surrounding the x95 from those initial accuracy assessments.   I bought mine last Summer and mine does not exhibit any problems nor do I question its accuracy as it has taken 3 coyotes and I havent missed.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 1:43:47 PM EDT
[#11]
that forward charging handle on sar made my arm hurt, got rid of it .     Got a B&T apc 223   much better  
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 2:12:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I really like my SAR, although it was expensive to get it that way (geissele trigger and pack, gear head charging handle, optics).  That said, no regrets whatsoever on the rifle, plenty accurate for what it is, points great, and a hoot to shoot.  I would recommend you alt least hold them both, shoot them if you can.  I just didn't like the way the x95 felt in my hands but the SAR fit perfectly. YMMV
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 6:51:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I really like may SAR, got the rail for the foregrip and a nice red dot. It takes good old ar15 mags and I have a lot of them. Great to shoot and reliable as hell, and easy to clean too. I like bullpups, and the Tavor SAR is one of my favorites, no regrets at all.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 8:46:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
that forward charging handle on sar made my arm hurt, got rid of it .     Got a B&T apc 223   much better  
View Quote
Exactly how did it hurt your arm?
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 10:51:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The geiselle Trigger upgrade makes it a different rifle.   Seriously, feels like a target AR trigger.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 10:56:40 PM EDT
[#16]
18" X95 with flat buttplate has a shorter LOP and just over 26" OAL, but increased velocity. X95 is easier to mount accessories, and works better with foregrips than the SAR, though the SAR's biomechanics are very slick once you've adjusted to them. ETA: The thin buttplates can be had straight from IWI for $15

On the other hand, I really, REALLY like the Bren. As far as modern rifles go, it is damned awesome. The 806 corrects the few quirks it does have, though we have no idea when it'll be imported.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:20:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
I run shooting site trigger packs in both of mine. Same idea different manufacturer. They make a world of difference. Stock on the SAR was like a cross between a glock and a heavy HK roller lock trigger. Post upgrade it is like a nice military grade ar trigger. On my x95 I also put in one of the geiselle Lightning bows too that combo feels also like the geiselle SSAE trigger I have in one of my ARs.

As for accuracy it's a non free floated military style rifle and it shoots like one. If you compare it to a rack grade mil clone AR it's going to be similar. If you compare it to a free floated AR it won't compete. Remember a lot of people are epically full of it online and will parrot junk about such and such rifle of there's being MOA all day even with junk plinking ammo then proclaim anything less than that junk. Truth is I mostly shoot cheap ammo wolf gold or American eagle I don't really need a rifle to be more accurate than what I put through it. Accuracy is consistency and those rounds are inconsistent enough that no gun is going to be MOA all day with it unless you cherry pick groups and lie. So if you want something to shoot mostly match grade ammo at long distance the tavors won't make you happy if you are realistic in your expectations based on the fact it's a non free floated military style rifle then you should be fine.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:25:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
18" X95 with flat buttplate has a shorter LOP and just over 26" OAL, but increased velocity. X95 is easier to mount accessories, and works better with foregrips than the SAR, though the SAR's biomechanics are very slick once you've adjusted to them. ETA: The thin buttplates can be had straight from IWI for $15

On the other hand, I really, REALLY like the Bren. As far as modern rifles go, it is damned awesome. The 806 corrects the few quirks it does have, though we have no idea when it'll be imported.
View Quote
I really want a 18" barrel for my x95 so I can put a thin pad on without pinning the flash suppressor. I hope IWI starts selling them soon. They haven't given me a answer worth a crap when I've asked them on their contact us part of their website or Facebook page so far. Guess I will try actually calling them Monday maybe that will rectify bot answers. Any pics of your 18" with thin pad?
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:28:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Are the 9mm X95s as well-regarded as the 5.56 ones? Any weird issues with beating up trigger group components, pins, etc.?
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:26:06 AM EDT
[#20]
I'd get the X95...much better ergos especially when moving and having to "roll" the weapon on your shoulders...the SAR is great too but the buttpad is WAY WAY to big and long.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:29:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Are the 9mm X95s as well-regarded as the 5.56 ones? Any weird issues with beating up trigger group components, pins, etc.?
View Quote
I see them in news pictures of South American crime lords and cartel bosses arrest pictures all the time.  Usually internally suppressed, from what it looks like.  So I would guess they're fine.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:54:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:35:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the information everyone! I am thinking more and more about one of these. It seems the x95 is a little bit more preferred. The only issue is the price. The x95 is in the same price range as the Bren while the SAR is a bit cheaper used. I'll have to do a little bit of thinking on this. I felt a CZ bren locally and loved it. I think I want to try feeling an x95 and a SAR to see how I like them. The only bullpup I have is a FN PS90 with an ACOG and I like it a lot. Maybe it's time for another. How is the TAVOR trigger compared to a ps90? The ps90 is not great at all but it is manageable. I would probably keep the tavor stock for a while and then get a geissele once funds allow.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 4:33:32 PM EDT
[#24]
The stock x95 trigger is fine although I have a tav-d.  If I was buying a rifle today I think I'd get the 18in barrel and put the flat buttpad on it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 6:39:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I see them in news pictures of South American crime lords and cartel bosses arrest pictures all the time.  Usually internally suppressed, from what it looks like.  So I would guess they're fine.
View Quote
Haha! Well, if they're good enough for doing crimes, then they'll probably be good enough for me. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 7:14:49 PM EDT
[#26]
X95
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:02:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Be sure to hold both versions if you haven't to get a feel for what works for you.

I wanted a SAR when they came out but never got a chance to buy one, then after the X95 came out I was able to snag one of the first few in OK (after all it was supposed to be "better" but I'd never held one). I almost immediately regretted getting the X95 over the SAR, partially because of the accuracy (1.75-2" at 50 yards with 6x scope were my best groups, with good ammo, rest, etc), but mostly because the SAR mag release and layout actually works better for me (but I shoot lefty for eye dominance). I was constantly reaching for the SAR mag release location on my X95, but I'd never shot a SAR (or any bullpup for that matter), it's just naturally how I want to reload a bullpup I guess.

I ended up selling the X95 after a while and haven't replaced it yet. The Kel Tec RDB seems to fit my needs better being downward ejection and less gassy suppressed, but I'd also like a SAR. If I had the funds I'd have both! From what little I've seen there are some deals to be had on used SAR's with upgrades.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:56:43 AM EDT
[#28]
i got a brand new x95.

with a suppressor it's all but unshootable from the gas face.

i did the upgrade,  still leaked.  took it apart and added rtv, still leaked.  and not just a little,  really bad.

i wanted a good bullpup, i thought it would be,  but its not. 
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:08:07 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a SAR and love it. Every one that has shot it over the last few years has a big smile on there face after shooting  it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top