Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2017 9:50:28 AM EDT
Anyone regret buying one? How's the trigger? General accuracy? Working with cans?

It would be a general purpose rifle, possibly a patrol rifle after I spent a lot of time with it.

Seriously considering picking one up. I've never owned a bullpup before that wasn't bolt action.

I'm aware of YouTube reviews out there but I want opinions from actual owners. I can't seem to find a thread searching.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I did a big write up and review, including a youtube vid... i'm not a pro reviewer which is painfully obvious from my video. I like mine a lot no regrets. There have been a couple of people who have had QC issues with theirs but it seems like kel tec was quick to fix them. Mine's been rock solid. It's light, has a good trigger and is decently accurate. It's not as sturdy as the tavor or aug in feel but it hasn't let me down yet.

my marathon review lol
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 11:30:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did a big write up and review, including a youtube vid... i'm not a pro reviewer which is painfully obvious from my video. I like mine a lot no regrets. There have been a couple of people who have had QC issues with theirs but it seems like kel tec was quick to fix them. Mine's been rock solid. It's light, has a good trigger and is decently accurate. It's not as sturdy as the tavor or aug in feel but it hasn't let me down yet.

my marathon review lol
View Quote
Ah, thanks. I couldn't get that to come up in a search.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 8:45:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I couldn't be happier with mine.  Great ergonomics,  good accuracy (but I had reasonable expectations, I knew I wasn't buying a precision rifle), 100% reliability,  and it works great with a can.

I would have preferred a fixed knob-style charging handle, but that will probably come sooner or later once there are enough out there to make it worth their while to make aftermarket stuff for the RDB.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 5:04:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I love mine as well. Best bullpup design I have owned.

Keltec had some QC issues as stated early on but they fixed it fast.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:52:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I ran mine for 1000rds without cleaning with no issues. I had a couple failures to fire due to dud primers (out of 1000rds that isn't bad for Tula!). It started feeling a tad sluggish so I had to increase the gas setting near the end.

Light, great ergonomics, soft recoil impulse, downward ejection, and a great factory trigger for a bullpup. My only dislike is the mag release. It can't be bumped if you have big hands and needs to be stiffer due to it's location. I've only bumped it once, but I don't particularly like it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 12:44:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm loving mine.  I did add a tactical soft covering (black mouse pad) to go over the cheek rest for comfort, but the only things on my want list are a brass catcher and some handguard options.  Trigger is good+, and the 77gr bullets show promise.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 4:15:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I own one, and it's imo the best designed bullpup on the market today, and I own a Tavor, have owned a Steyr AUG, and have shot the FS2000.
Provided you don't have any QC issues, you won't regret it. And even then, they will correct them.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:27:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I love mine and it suppresses awesome.  Happy camper here.

Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:07:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I use to own one and unfortunately it sounds like I got a lemon.  For some reason after mine would heat up from one mag the charging handle would not engage the bolt unless I slammed the charging handle on a table and then the bolt would release and chamber the next round this happened every range trip.  My experience with the rifle was unfortunate because it was very cool and I really wanted it to work.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:20:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I use to own one and unfortunately it sounds like I got a lemon.  For some reason after mine would heat up from one mag the charging handle would not engage the bolt unless I slammed the charging handle on a table and then the bolt would release and chamber the next round this happened every range trip.  My experience with the rifle was unfortunate because it was very cool and I really wanted it to work.
View Quote
Was KelTec unable to fix your rifle?
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:51:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been itching to pull the trigger on one as well, but I really want the "tactical" mlok handguard they might have on the newer version they are talking about, and I don't know if it will be backwards compatible.  If you want mlok it might be better to wait.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:55:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Mlok sure would be nice.

I just blew my screw around money on a Trijicon Accupoint 1-6 scope so I should probably rebuild my squirrel fund.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:34:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've been itching to pull the trigger on one as well, but I really want the "tactical" mlok handguard they might have on the newer version they are talking about, and I don't know if it will be backwards compatible.  If you want mlok it might be better to wait.
View Quote
'THE' RDB I'm waiting for. As suppressor owners report, it's a fantastic host and at the going price of around 1K I have no doubt it would make a great suppressed predator rifle but I can't stomach the current handguard so hopefully the Tactical model is released soon.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:58:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
'THE' RDB I'm waiting for. As suppressor owners report, it's a fantastic host and at the going price of around 1K I have no doubt it would make a great suppressed predator rifle but I can't stomach the current handguard so hopefully the Tactical model is released soon.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Will the new handguard free float the barrel or is it the same as the regular handguard in that regard?

I agree as a predator rifle with a supressor the RDB is definitely on the short list
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:43:31 AM EDT
[#15]
If Kel-Tec came out with a RDB in 6.5 Grendel with a free floated barrel I'd buy one.  I got to handle an RDB a couple weeks ago at a LGS and I liked it a lot.  I have no need for another 5.56/223 but a 6.5 Grendel Bullpup, yea I'm ready!
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:19:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Will the new handguard free float the barrel or is it the same as the regular handguard in that regard?

I agree as a predator rifle with a supressor the RDB is definitely on the short list
View Quote
Alas, I don't believe it's so. If it 'could' be free floated and had a 1x8 twist barrel it would be damn near the perfect 5.56 rifle for ME.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:31:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If Kel-Tec came out with a RDB in 6.5 Grendel with a free floated barrel I'd buy one.  I got to handle an RDB a couple weeks ago at a LGS and I liked it a lot.  I have no need for another 5.56/223 but a 6.5 Grendel Bullpup, yea I'm ready!
View Quote
I'd be all over a 6.5 Grendel RDB like immediately.

Meh free float isn't necessarily a must on some designs.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 5:42:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Took mine to the indoor range today for initial sight in, gas system adjustment, and general reliability check.  Shot 120 rounds and it fed and fired everything as expected, including a couple of rapid fire mag dumps.  Only failures were deliberately induced when I backed off the gas two clicks and got FTE jams, but setting the gas back to where I started, +1 click for reliability took care of it.

One thing I noticed is that the handguard gets noticeably warm in the center where the bulge in the barrel profile is located during rapid fire.  Another, more serious, heat related issue is that the polymer charging handle doesn't completely cover the metal insert on the backside where the notch is that locks it to the gas block, and that small exposed area of metal will burn your finger when pulling back the CH after a few mags.  Also, found that the rear top rail screw was loose after firing, although I'd checked it prior to going out based on reports of it working loose.  It might be from the heat in addition to the vibration since the rail is on a post directly attached to the barrel.  I put a drop of Rockset on the screw to see if that will fix it.  Other than that, it's all good.  Mine is a recent Rxx S/N and I'm using a Mepro M21 that I had laying around.  Cleanup was pretty easy since all of gas is up front in the gas block, so the receiver, bolt, and carrier just got a wipe and light relube.  Even the piston and gas block were pretty clean.

Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:09:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Mine is good after a few thousand rounds..about 1/2 suppressed.  Best semi-auto rifle I have ever used suppressed. 2moa is all I can squeeze out of it on a good day...but its a bullpup and its no less accurate than any other bullpup i have shot or owned.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 6:28:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Mine is approaching 7k rounds, much of it was cheap russian steel. It's pretty solid as long you have the gas adjusted correctly.

Mine was the first batch that had the bad extractor pin. It didn't crop up for 5k rounds, when it failed they sent me a whole new bolt since they know im an LE armorer and could head space check it. Other than that its been darn near perfect.

I plan on wearing this thing out and getting a new one under warranty, lol.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 10:18:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Just got an RDB. Thought it might be a total fail but always wanted one. Only have a few hundred rounds through it but it def holds its own against my Tavor while putting it through the paces. Just ran it out to 500 yards w a red dot this weekend. Posted the video in a new thread in this forum. So far I'm hoping for big things.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 4:06:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just got an RDB. Thought it might be a total fail but always wanted one. Only have a few hundred rounds through it but it def holds its own against my Tavor while putting it through the paces. Just ran it out to 500 yards w a red dot this weekend. Posted the video in a new thread in this forum. So far I'm hoping for big things.
View Quote
Imo, one of the best 5.56 fighting rifles out there, and also tons of fun too! Hope you like it!
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 12:51:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 8:36:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Must have.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:29:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Great it's about time ! The plastic HG has been my largest complaint.

keltec was supposed to have them ready believe they said end of 2nd qtr. 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 8:51:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Local funstore sold a few the other day when I was in there............its a nice gun
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 8:17:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Now I want one of these
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 9:22:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Zero regrets with mine.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 10:43:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Suppresses better than AR platforms, will ring my ears if im shooting in a covered area but not out in the field, and is noticeably quieter than my brothers ARs. From what iv seen online they are the best semi auto out there for suppressing. I dont get gassed either, cant report on accuracy as i hate my shooting range but i would say its accurate enough in the field to hit what you want.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 4:58:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Any of you guys run old metal usgi mags through yours? I'm on the fence between this and a tavor but really leaning to the keltec. I have read tons of reviews and articles but most are a few years old about the RDB not liking the steel mags but in wondering if the newer ones fixed this?
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 10:32:21 PM EDT
[#31]
The problem is that the gun was designed to use the newer polymer mags. Thats my opinion from what iv seen. If you want to use the standard metal surplus mags you need to take a screw driver and pry up and flare out the top of the cutout. I saw a youtube vid on how to do this. Then they will work. I dont buy surplus mags but i had 2 given to me and iv done this to one and confirmed it works and they still work in a regular AR as well. I run lancer mags and ill stick with them.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 10:54:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not a Kel-Tec but a 6.5 Grendel bullpup non the less : https://sofrep.com/72774/km-arms-bullpup-rifle-show-show/
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 11:43:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The problem is that the gun was designed to use the newer polymer mags. Thats my opinion from what iv seen. If you want to use the standard metal surplus mags you need to take a screw driver and pry up and flare out the top of the cutout. I saw a youtube vid on how to do this. Then they will work. I dont buy surplus mags but i had 2 given to me and iv done this to one and confirmed it works and they still work in a regular AR as well. I run lancer mags and ill stick with them.
View Quote
I'm in MA so the only legal 30rd mags I can have are old preban metal. I saw where people pried mags like you mentioned but didn't want to have to do that in fear they would be less reliable in my ARs which I would use in a SHTF situation.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 12:43:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Not a Kel-Tec but a 6.5 Grendel bullpup non the less : https://sofrep.com/72774/km-arms-bullpup-rifle-show-show/
View Quote
I hadn’t seen that K&M was going to offer the M-17 in 6.5 Grendel, thanks.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 11:51:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I hadn’t seen that K&M was going to offer the M-17 in 6.5 Grendel, thanks.
View Quote
havent seen many good reviews of the M17s so far...plenty of meh...and bad ones though
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 8:51:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'm in MA so the only legal 30rd mags I can have are old preban metal. I saw where people pried mags like you mentioned but didn't want to have to do that in fear they would be less reliable in my ARs which I would use in a SHTF situation.
View Quote
That sucks because Mags for the ar are a wear item they degrade with lots of use and then you throw them away and replace them.

Also for clarification sake when you say USGI mags do you mean actual USGI spec aluminum mags or are you using that as a general catch all for metal magazines since you keep saying steel and USGI ain’t steel. If you are using actual steel mags from who knows what manufacturer then the other issue is it’s impossible to know if they are in spec and will cause an issue because of that.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That sucks because Mags for the ar are a wear item they degrade with lots of use and then you throw them away and replace them.

Also for clarification sake when you say USGI mags do you mean actual USGI spec aluminum mags or are you using that as a general catch all for metal magazines since you keep saying steel and USGI ain’t steel. If you are using actual steel mags from who knows what manufacturer then the other issue is it’s impossible to know if they are in spec and will cause an issue because of that.
View Quote
Sorry for lack of clarity. Yes I know mags wear and I replace springs and followers in them when needed. By USGI mags I mean just that. Old aluminum service issue Vietnam etc mags. Thank you for any help you can provide as far as the function of these mags in an RDB.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 4:30:01 PM EDT
[#38]
C-Products stainless mags work fine in mine as well as the steel IMI mags I've got on hand.  From what I've read some of the RDBs are mag picky but most seem not to be.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 9:42:37 PM EDT
[#39]
havent heard much at all about RDB lately, just the survival model at shotshow this year.   might have to bite on one in 2018!
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 7:23:52 AM EDT
[#40]
thing is with the internet you get 10x the reports of bad things to good things because not many people complain when things are running smooth.

So in this case no news means good things.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 3:54:12 PM EDT
[#41]
My RDB has gone over 2K rounds with zero failures.  I don't think it will reliably go <2MOA, but that's not what I bought it for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top