Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Posted: 4/18/2017 12:27:31 PM EDT
TFB just posted this report on the new Thales F90 Export.

I personally hope we get this version in the US - I like the STANAG mag compatibility, ergos/controls, and more compact buttstock.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:40:10 PM EDT
Originally Posted By vmpglenn:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/f-90-export-660x439.jpg

I personally hope we get this version in the US - I like the STANAG mag compatibility, ergos/controls, and more compact buttstock.
View Quote
I like that they were able to do what Steyr couldn't, and do an AUG rifle with NATO mags that has LRBHO.  Also looks like X95 style mag release.

But is it just a me, or does it look like it has a stupidly long LOP for some reason?  Is it just the trimmer buttstock throwing things out of aesthetic balance?l (vs. a Tavor or regular AUG)?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:40:42 PM EDT
Pics were posted a few weeks back. I hope we get the original.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:56:25 PM EDT
but dem screws...

I would guess this is the version we are getting, AR compatible mags and cheaper stock assembly method.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:04:44 PM EDT
Originally Posted By vmpglenn:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/f-90-export-660x439.jpg

View Quote

dude what's up with that trigger? Cutting a tree with one soon?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:08:17 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Seven-Shooter:
I like that they were able to do what Steyr couldn't, and do an AUG rifle with NATO mags that has LRBHO.  Also looks like X95 style mag release.

But is it just a me, or does it look like it has a stupidly long LOP for some reason?  Is it just the trimmer buttstock throwing things out of aesthetic balance?l (vs. a Tavor or regular AUG)?
View Quote
I think it's the change of the stock, plus the fact that this is a 14" SBR variant, that makes it look like the LOP is longer.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:31:45 PM EDT
This is the first AUG I have seen that actually looks pretty cool! Never been a fan of the traditional AUG style.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:43:25 PM EDT
It looks like the assault rifle from the first HALO game.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:54:50 PM EDT
I was borderline on wanting to get the original F90 but if they go with this frankengun version, no way
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:14:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/18/2017 9:16:47 PM EDT by TNgan]
Better pictures of it here.

Suppose to be here in late 2017. Probably will be using component from both Australia and South Korea (a license producer of it).
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:59:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By TNgan:
Better pictures of it here.

Suppose to be here in late 2017. Probably will be using component from both Australia and South Korea (a license producer of it).
View Quote
Is there confirmation on South Korea being a licensed producer? I hadn't seen anything to that effect.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:29:00 PM EDT
Yes some SK company has the license to produce for the export market. I believe this maybe has to do with bypassing the Australian export restriction.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:32:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

Is there confirmation on South Korea being a licensed producer? I hadn't seen anything to that effect.
View Quote
Dasan is making the export version.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:06:45 AM EDT
Originally Posted By vellnueve:

Dasan is making the export version.
View Quote
Thanks, using a search for "Dasan Thales F90" I found this:

"One interesting thing Dasan showed was Thales Australia’s F90 rifle. Dasan made a contract with Thales and will soon be manufacturing this rifle, under license, in Korea. Dasan will be suggesting this rifle to Korean military, which is now considering replacement of the K1 and K2 rifles, which have been used since the early to mid-1980s and many of them now need replacement. Unlike the K1/K2 rifles, which basically are made with 1970~80s design concept, the F90 is a modern bullpup, so in terms of modernity this clearly has an edge."
http://www.sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=3685

Dasan is who makes the Lone Wolf barrels and slides, so this is a pretty interesting departure for them.

It will be interesting to see the price point this is marketed at. The F90 should already be a good bit cheaper to produce then the AUG (screw together construction over vibration weld, polymer skeletonized receiver vs cast aluminum, no quick change barrel.) When you factor in labor costs of South Korea (43% the cost of Austria in 2011)...I'm hoping some of these costs savings are passed onto the consumer.

If they are able to undercut the price of the Tavor, and offer improved accuracy over the X95, I can see them doing quite well.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:25:04 AM EDT

It will be interesting to see the price point this is marketed at. The F90 should already be a good bit cheaper to produce then the AUG (screw together construction over vibration weld, polymer skeletonized receiver vs cast aluminum, no quick change barrel.) When you factor in labor costs of South Korea (43% the cost of Austria in 2011)...I'm hoping some of these costs savings are passed onto the consumer.

If they are able to undercut the price of the Tavor, and offer improved accuracy over the X95, I can see them doing quite well.
View Quote
Steyr didn't make the Australian AUGs, ADI/Thales did under license
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:37:11 AM EDT
Originally Posted By mcantu:

Steyr didn't make the Australian AUGs, ADI/Thales did under license
View Quote
I know, I was talking about consumer price point here in the US vs the Austrian AUG, and why the F90 should hopefully be available at a lower price.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:09:20 AM EDT
Are there specs for this bullpup yet?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:19:58 AM EDT

I know, I was talking about consumer price point here in the US vs the Austrian AUG, and why the F90 should hopefully be available at a lower price.
View Quote
I doubt the AUG costs all that much to make for Steyr.  The molds and tooling have been around for decades already and they only have about 30 employees
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:24:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By misc:
View Quote
They're readily available, the F90 has been around a few years.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:50:18 PM EDT
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Can't find it. What is the barrel twist?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:51:49 PM EDT

Can't find it. What is the barrel twist?
View Quote
F88 and F90 are 1:7
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:50:46 PM EDT
The only bullpup I am interested in. I hope it doesn't become vapor ware.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:42:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By mcantu:

I doubt the AUG costs all that much to make for Steyr.  The molds and tooling have been around for decades already and they only have about 30 employees
View Quote
A post-86 dealer sample Steyr AUG from Austria costs around $1200 a few years ago. Not sure what it is now.
Top Top