Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2017 9:32:41 PM EDT
I may be buying an AUG shortly, and the NATO version interests me very much.  I am looking for reasons not to go that route from those that preferably have hands-on experience.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:18:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:30:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Magpul makes AUG mags too.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:33:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:39:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Maximum Stick size AR Magazine capacity (that actually works) = 40 rounds (aftermarket provider).

AUG Factory and military issued stick magazine = 42 rounds.

That's 2 louder.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:39:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:00:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a standard AUG and a spare NATO stock. There really isn't anything that wrong with running the NATO stock as long as you're right handed.

I typically don't use the A3 bolt release when reloading as I find it to be a much smaller target than the CH.

AJ
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:12:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I am right handed, and I like that the NATO stock is sealed up on the left side; no potential for gas leakage.

Using the charging handle after a reload would not bother me, I used to own AKs for a long time.

Plus, I am well stocked on AR mags.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:57:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I like the flexibiltiy of using both if I want. So I have a NATO stock and regular ones.

Which type of stock to use based on mags is kind of a wash. If you have a ton of AR mags. Then use them on the NATO if you don't want to buy a bunch of mags. But then again, if you're not gonna shoot a ton with your AUG. Buy the original and then buy 4-5 extra mags. You'll be fine.

You lose the bolt release feature with the NATO stock. But you gain a more traditional/extra magazine release with the NATO if you wanna go that route.  You can easily run the charging handle old school. Which may cause pain w/ some rails and some optics. Depending on the situation. I run the charging handle personally. Just more used to it. Even with the A3 bolt release.

W/ the NATO stock, there is the issue, if you can call it that" with chattering on the bolt carrier from the bolt catch. That I really don't think is really an issue. But it can be remedied. I personally don't worry about it. https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_43/456965_.html

Just go with the stock option that works and makes best sense for you.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 7:32:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Get the NATO stock! Toss aside the best 5.56mm mags ever made so that you can use the cmost vulnerable,  cheapest throw-away rifle mags ever created. 

I love ARs and have tons of AR mags just like everyone else. Love em, in fact. The AUG isn't an AR (a big part of what helps sell them) and it gained its 50 year old reputation with factory Steyr mags. The AUG mags are much more resilient than any AR mag, period. 

PMAGs wear Steyr mag drawls, seriously.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:08:28 PM EDT
[#10]
A3 bolt release FTW 
It's noticeably faster than riding the CH.

I bought AUG mags back when RSR was blowing them out, so the sting was small.
I buy Magpul G36 mags for my G36's, and AK mags for AK's, and it doesn't bother me that they're different.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 5:49:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I had this same dilemma with my first AUG purchase recently. I went with the NATO stock because I have way too much invested in magpul AR mags already and don't really need another entire set of rifle specific mags lying around.

I don't have any muscle memory built up with the bolt release so its a fresh start using the CH or bolt release one way or the other. I'm sure the bolt release is faster and obviously more convenient but I'm also expecting to shoot paper with this thing my entire life versus other SHTF scenarios so absolute speed wasn't as big a factor for me. And besides if the zombies did come I'd rather make use of the many AR mags across a few different platforms I have then fuss with rifle specific mags more than I have to.  

Not having gas escape from the left side is an added bonus since i'm right handed and will use a suppressor more often than not even with the loud gas port noise.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 10:50:06 PM EDT
[#12]
"Steyr AUG...talk me out of getting the NATO version"

Why? What's wrong with the Nato stock? Personally I like mine, but, I kept the original Steyr Aug stock because I like the flexibility to switch back and forth. I particularly like the Nato stock because it allows me to use the X Products 50rd magazines as well as the 60rd MagPul drum magazines and 60rd and 100rd Surefire magazines. All of these magazines work well with the Nato stock. At one time I had a Beta C Mag 100rd double drum for my regular stock Steyr Aug. That magazine did not work very well because my trigger finger arm had to go around the double drum and it was extremely uncomfortable to hold and shoulder with the double drum. The single drum magazines I mentioned work really well and are very comfortable to shoulder the Aug.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 12:15:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Both are great and I've owned 2 of both.

I prefer the NATO due to magazine compatibility.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 11:28:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I say go for NATO.  It's no different than running an AR-18. I locks on empty which is the most important thing.....running the handle to load from a fresh mag is not that slow.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 2:38:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Get both? I prefer the regular, but also have a NATO stock. I think the AUG mags insert easier and the bolt release is a huge plus. AUG mags are easier to load as well and very durable.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 11:09:14 AM EDT
[#16]
I just went with stock AUG mags. They work for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top